March 2006 Pistons articles *Frequent Updates*

Discussion in 'Pistons Archive' started by Media Guy, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I 've got 12 newspapers in my favs! Sounds like Heat are in denial!

2. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit News]

Pistons prevail on Wallace's block
    Wallace, the reigning NBA defensive player of the year, was glad to have made the final play, but said the Pistons should have been further ahead at that point. "It was a tough play," he said. "We were able to get the block and get the win, but it never should have came down to that. We played terrible down the stretch. We had control of the game, we let it slip away. It was just one of those nights. We were fortunate to come out of here with a win."

Trial starts for man accused of tossing cup in Palace brawl
    John Green, 41, of Oakland County's West Bloomfield Township, is charged with two counts of misdemeanor assault and battery. He is the only person with a case still pending in the Nov. 19, 2004 brawl.

[DetroitPistons.com]

Postgame Quotes: Pistons 75, Pacers 72
    Flip Saunders: "Our bench gave us the ability to rest some of our guys. And Ben (Wallace) made one free throw down the stretch, that was big for us. Guys like Delfino (Carlos), Dale Davis, and Antonio McDyess did a great job to carry us tonight, especially in the first half. We know every time we play these guys, the game is going to be a slugfest. Ben usually makes big free throws down the stretch and when he misses, it motivates him to play harder defensively."

On Lindsey Hunter: "Lindsey made shots early. Maybe he got carried away in the second half. But he’s playing and getting in shape and he makes a difference in games. Guys on opposing teams typically don’t want Lindsey to guard them."

Lindsey Hunter: On Ben Wallace’s free throw: "He was supposed to make two of them, but he definitely came through when we needed him to.”

Chauncey Billups: "The bench was big, no doubt about it. All those guys played great tonight. McDyess, Carlos (Delfino) and Lindsey, they all contributed. We’re going to need that from them in the playoffs.”

On late game struggles: "There were a couple of mistakes, a couple of mishandles, especially that one at half court. The ball just slipped out of my hand a few times and I couldn’t get a good grip on it for some reason. That last play, the timing was off a little bit. There was a three second differential between the shot clock and game clock. So I wanted to leave them with the least amount of time left on the clock in case we didn’t score.”

[Indianapolis Star]

Pistons reject comeback
    Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said his players had four options on the last play with 4.6 seconds remaining. The Pistons defended the play well, forcing Granger to catch the ball, take a couple of dribbles and attempt to get Wallace off his feet with a pump fake before having to take the shot with the clock about to expire.

"They're a good team that's going to do a good job in those situations," Carlisle said. "We probably could have executed better."

Pacers Notebook
    Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy was at the Detroit Pistons' shootaround Friday morning to see coach Flip Saunders. Dungy and Saunders both attended the University of Minnesota. "We try to talk a little bit, keep in touch every now and then, follow each other's career," Saunders said. "It's a unique situation. You have two guys who played with each other, went four years together."

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Real-time recap: Pistons lap Pacers/
    (Note: Jeff Foster will be played tonight by Freddie Mercury.) .... 2ND QUARTER, 11:20 — And we’re back at it. And just once I’d like to see Antonio McDyess not smile after a screw up just once .... 8:43 — Lindsey hits a three, steals the inbounds pass, and then misses badly on another long range attempt. Every time that Lindsey shoots the ball, I swear I hear the entire team say "Oh Sh*t" in slow motion along with me, but then he goes and steals an inbounds pass or doggedly defends his man. Oh, Lindsey .... 6:40 — … and Dale Davis just hit a baseline jumper, increasing his scoring for the season by 20% .... 6:10 — Somewhere Lindsey Hunter is dominating a women’s over-40 rec league, because I sure as hell don’t know who is wearing #10 for the Pistons tonight. Whoever it is — he just tripled again. Pistons 32-27 ....

3. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit Free Press]​

Ben's block detours late Pacers rally
    "I told him, 'Don't be surprised if Granger gets it,' " said Pistons coach Flip Saunders. "He's playing with a lot of confidence, and they probably knew we were going to lock down on the others."

Pistons Corner: Saunders professes belief in bench
    Saunders said Hunter asked him during Wednesday's game to trust the bench, and Saunders listened, keeping a reserve unit in during a long stretch of the pivotal fourth quarter .... "That's just a matter of us instilling that confidence in him," Hunter said. "I'm gonna keep talking to him. We can get it done. We don't get it done in the same fashion as the starters do, but we can get it done."

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Video Rasheed plays in the snow

IGN.com, a video game site, recently caught up with Rasheed Wallace for an interview.
    IGN Sports: Every time I see you, you're sporting the Air Force Ones. How did that become your shoe of choice?
    Rasheed Wallace: I love Air Force Ones. That's the shoe I grew up with in Philadelphia. My older brothers got me [...]

Real-time recap: Pistons suck less than Pacers

Being that this is the Piston equivalent of "rivalry week", Matt and I have decided to be a little more extensive in our game recaps. When it works–as it did for the Piston win over the Heat on Wednesday night–the result is riveting (maybe). But how does it hold up when paired with [...]

Real-time recap: Pistons lap Pacers

Being that this is the Piston equivalent of "rivalry week," Matt and I have decided to be a little more extensive in our game recaps. When it works — as it did for the Piston win over the Heat on Wednesday night — the result can be riveting (for us, anyway). But how [...]

[Booth Newspapers]

Pistons top Pacers 75-72, despite awful play down the stretch
    by A. Sherrod Blakely

INDIANAPOLIS - Ben Wallace is a bad free throw shooter, but he usually makes the ones that count the most.

Wallace did just that on Friday, scoring Detroit's lone point in the final 4:48 of Detroit's 75-72 win over the Indiana Pacers.

Wallace, who had missed his first seven free throw attempts on Friday, calmly sank one with 4.6 seconds to play that forced the Pacers to look for a 3-pointer to try and force overtime.

Bench experience will be key during playoffs
    by A. Sherrod Blakely

INDIANAPOLIS - Dale Davis has played in 121 playoff games, the kind of track record that lets you know he won't be the least bit intimidated by whatever comes the Detroit Pistons way in the postseason.

That experience seems to be a common thread that binds most of Detroit's reserves, who are expected to play a pivotal role in the team's regular season finish, as well as in the playoffs.

"We've been through the battles, we've been through the tough games," Davis said. "It's a little easier for (veteran) guys to respond. It makes it a lot easier when you have guys who have battle wounds and battle scars coming off the bench."

[The Oakland Press]

Dungy can relate to Flip's plight
    by DANA GAURUDER

INDIANAPOLIS - Flip Saunders' ex-roommate has keen knowledge of how a playoff flameout can offset a wonderful regular season. When they got together Thursday night, Saunders picked his former teammate's brains with the aim of preventing a similar collapse for his team.

Saunders' college buddy is none other than Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, whose team clinched the best NFL record with games to spare this past season. Dungy rested his regulars after the Colts secured home-field advantage, and that strategy blew up in his face when Pittsburgh shocked the Colts in the AFC playoffs.

Bench saves Pistons
    Starters nearly blow 11-point lead in fourth quarter at Indiana
    by DANA GAURUDER

INDIANAPOLIS - At many points during the season, the Pistons just asked their bench to hold its own. On a night when their starters went into a major funk, the reserves went above and beyond the call of duty.

If the Pistons awarded game balls Friday night, they would have distributed five, but none to their All-Stars. In the city that will be overrun by March Madness next weekend, the Pistons delivered a 75-72 victory over the Indiana Pacers in a most bizarre fashion.

5. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit News]

Pistons must rely on depth
    AUBURN HILLS -- The concern from Pistons fans has burned up Internet message boards and sports-talk radio shows for months. Yeah, the Pistons' starters are good -- but what about the reserves? For those insisting on nonstop worry, a few answers about the bench players have recently been revealed.

[Foxsports.com]

Charley Rosen's Mailbag
    Q: I don't pay much attention to many analysts because most seem to enjoy disparaging the Pistons, despite their success. But I think you've made fair appraisals of them so far; so I would pose this question: Don't you think that in the postseason the Pistons' experience and calm under pressure would be too much for the Heat?

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Is Lindsey Hunter's role expanding on offense?
    ... the "chicken or the egg" question: did Lindsey head to the bench when he lost his shot, or does he struggle with his shot when he enters games cold? Is it something else altogether, such as his efforts to focus his intensity entirely on defense? And if that's the case, does the team think that reversing the decline might be as easy as simply asking Hunter to play a larger offensive role?

Chauncey's chances to win the MVP
    Does Chauncey have a chance to win? Definitely. Will I be upset if he doesn't? Not really. I don't like the ball in anyone else's hands when the game is on the line, but does that make him the linchpin to the team's success?

[New York Post]

Nets deal with three of an unkind
    (Registration Required) "Our next opponent is Detroit. They're playing unbelievable basketball," said Vince Carter, averaging 25.4 points in the seven-game streak. "The last time we played in Detroit, they gave us one (85-71, Feb. 14) so it's an opportunity for us to come back. I feel like we're a better team, a more confident team."

[Newark Star-Ledger]

Nets try to set realistic goals
    He referred to it as a measuring-stick game before his Nets lost to the Detroit Pistons, 93-83, on Nov. 30.

The next day Lawrence Frank was enthusiastic, pointing out the positives of his team's performance, and declaring that the Nets would be able to compete on the level of the defending Eastern Conference champions by the end of the season. Nearly four months later, the Nets (39-28) have a chance to become just the third team to defeat the Pistons (55-13) twice this season.

[NBA.com]

Thunderbirds pick up much needed win
    The Albuquerque Thunderbirds picked up a big win Saturday afternoon at Tingley Coliseum against the Fayetteville Patriots that moved them into a three-way tie for third place in the NBA Development League Standings with only six games to play. In a game that included 10 lead changes, the Thunderbirds were able to take control of the game in the fourth quarter giving them the 98-86 win. [Alex Acker played just 15 minutes, scoring 6. Amir Johnson shot 5-8 for 11 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocked shots.]

6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[SportsEcyclopedia.com]
    [Not an article, but I think the old school pictures are pretty groovy.]

7. roscoe36

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Woeful O; Nets trap Pistons

The Nets came to the Palace for what was supposed to be a relatively easy win for the Pistons. "Easy," because despite a comfortable lead in the pathetic Atlantic division, the Pistons were 30-2 at home and Jersey was 16-19 on the road. This one should not have been an L, but the [...]

8. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit News]

Poor shooting dooms Detroit
    Billups missed 8 of 10 shots in the game. Rasheed Wallace missed 9 of 10. Richard Hamilton missed 18 of 27. You get the picture -- the Pistons couldn't throw it in the ocean, shooting a season-low 34.1 percent. It was the third game the Pistons shot below 40 percent.

[Detroit Free Press]

Yuck! Pistons tangled up by Nets
    "It's crazy," Billups said. "We had good looks and just couldn't knock them down, and then at the end, when I tried to miss the free throw, because we didn't have any time-outs and I knew we'd have to go full-court, I end up making it. It was crazy."

Pistons Corner: Nets riding dark horse in playoffs
    .... Shooting guard Richard Hamilton, a Connecticut grad, took the Huskies' Elite Eight overtime loss to No. 11-seed George Mason hard on Sunday.

"George Mason? George Mason?" Hamilton said as he walked to his locker before the Nets game.

[New York Times]​

Proving Point, Nets Stymie East Leader on the Road
    (Registration Required) The Nets (40-28) became the third team to win at the Palace this season, and the first to do so in regulation. The Nets split the season series with the Pistons, 2-2, and perhaps left Detroit with something to think about should the two meet again. If they do play again, chances are it will not be until the Eastern Conference finals.

"I do believe there are other teams in this conference that are very good," the Nets' Richard Jefferson, who scored 14 points, said. "A shot here, a shot there, you never know what's going to happen."

[New York Post]​

Con-Vince-Ing Victory
    (Registration Required) "I used to block field goals in junior high. Seriously. Check the technique out," Carter said.

It worked perfectly here. Carter, in an amazing play, leaped high to block Ben Wallace's inbounds pass with 2.1 seconds remaining and then had the presence of mind to save the ball while jumping out of bounds to allow the Nets to keep possession - and secure their eighth straight victory, a grunt-and-grind 79-74 win last night over the Pistons, who are nearly invincible at home.

[Joe Netsfan]​

Vertical hold
    The Nets built an early 15 point lead, but it was obvious that it wouldn't last, since the Pistons were gobbling up offensive rebounds like they were water. Antonio McDyess almost single-handedly got Detroit back into the game with his amazing feats of boardsmanship (AD had 10 rebounds at the half, and finished with 6 offensive boards and 18 overall in only 26 minutes, plus 11 points). With the second and third chances the Pistons had, no wonder they made up the hole relatively quickly. And with Tony Delk bombing at every opportunity, and Lindsey Hunter pestering the crap out of the Net guards, well, it was a fine job. Considering how off the starters were for most of the game, it was the reserves that kept the Pistons in it.

[NBA.com]​

Thunderbirds rout Patriots
    In the fourth, Fayetteville made the game exciting by again trimming the Thunderbird lead, this time to eight points with eight minutes to play. But the Patriots could not get any closer. The T-Birds were able control the final minutes of the game, giving them the comfortable 15 point win. The Thunderbirds had a very balanced attack with six players scoring in double figures .... Fayetteville forward Erik Daniels led all scorers with 22 points and grabbed 13 boards, while teammates Darnell Miller and Rick Rickert scored 12 points apiece. [Alex Acker DNP, Amir Johnson 7 and 7 on 3-7 shooting]

9. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Booth Newspapers]

Poor shooting stymies Pistons in loss to Nets
    Pistons coach Flip Saunders attributed the loss, which snapped a 16-game home winning streak, in part to Detroit's lack of aggressiveness. "Whichever team is most aggressive usually has success," said Saunders, whose team scored a season-low 10 points in the first quarter. "They came out extremely aggressive early, and for the second game in a row, we didn't come out sharp."

Inside the Pistons
    Analysis: Detroit's recent shooting woes have raised a few eyebrows, but what can't be overlooked is the Pistons' defense. They are getting back to winning tight, low-scoring games, asign that they are inching closer to being playoff-ready. The Pistons have won three of their last four games, holding each opponent to 84 or fewer points. Winning games with strong play defensively has become Detroit's calling card, especially in the playoffs. It's one of the main reasons the Pistons have a 31-17 playoff record the past two seasons, with only three of those games involving an opponent scoring 100 or more points. The low-scoring games may not be exciting to some fans, but that's the way the Pistons are accustomed to playing -- and winning.

10. roscoe36

Guys, please remember to support the forum by posting. Participation in discussions keeps the board going. - micro

[Detroit Bad Boys]

It's official: the Pacers make DBB readers nervous

Last week, we asked, "Who would pose the toughest first-round playoff matchup for the Pistons?"
    We didn't expect the results to be nearly this close: out of the 122 people polled, the vast majority chose the Pacers (43%) and Wizards (41%), with the Celtics (7%), Sixers (5%), Bulls (3%), and Bucks (0%) nothing more than distant [...]

More NBA lookalikes

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, the insane genius behind Wizznutzz must be blushing right now, because we're completely ripping off one of the best features. In homage to their popular Separated at Birth feature, we're going to occasionally post our own NBA lookalikes.
    Ian just posted the Lawrence Frank/Doogie Howser shots, and [...]

Reader Pictures of the Week

When I named last week's Reader Pictures of the Week, the Detroit Bad Boys group on Flickr consisted of 66 pictures. Just one week later, I'm happy to say we're already at 163! There are so many great pictures to choose from, but these are the ones that caught my eye:

Submitted by need4sheed.
    What can [...]

[Chicago Tribune]

Return to Motown intrigues Hill
    But ex-Piston wants to turn around Magic
    by Sam Smith

You figure Pistons general manager Joe Dumars has this one tucked away in his back pocket: Grant Hill's return to where he started, this time as a valuable reserve for a championship team in 2007-08.

"I've thought about that," admitted Hill, who expected to be in Chicago, albeit not playing, Tuesday when the Orlando Magic meets the Bulls. "I'm human. I want to win. When you play, you want to be a part of a winning team. But my hope is to try to turn that around and have that here (with Orlando). Ideally, that would be the highlight of my career."

[Dallas Star Telegram]

MAVERICKS NOTES
    Pistons' likely aim is to avenge beating

by DWAIN PRICE

DETROIT -- Mavericks center Erick Dampier knows it won't be difficult for the Detroit Pistons to remember the events of Nov. 19.

The Pistons walked into American Airlines Center on that day armed with an 8-0 record and set on reminding everyone why they were preseason picks by many to win this year's NBA title.

But the Mavs sent the Pistons to their worst loss of the season, 119-82.

[Dallas Morning News]

The Palace is true proving ground for Mavs
    Win in Atlanta restored some defensive pride, but Pistons are real test
    by EDDIE SEFKO

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. – Avery Johnson wanted to see something out of his Mavericks.

Yes, he wanted a victory. But beyond that, he wanted to see how his team responded after a dismal loss Thursday against Golden State that featured probably the limpest defensive effort of the season.

So when the Mavericks came back with a 15-point win at Atlanta on Saturday and held the Hawks to 83 points, they passed the first test.

11. roscoe36

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Throwing alley-oops

82games takes a look at perhaps the most exciting play in basketball: the alley-oop. Turns out Shawn Marion is far and away the league leader in this cat with 72, but Big Ben Wallace is seventh with 27. As for Tayshaun Prince? He's credited with just eight. Can that be accurate? On the other [...]

One time is a fluke, twice is a coincidence, three times?

Question of the day: does Joanne Gerstner read Detroit Bad Boys?
    From her Detroit News "blog" on Friday (added emphasis is mine):
    We all have our fantasies. In my next life, I am coming back as a 5-11 tennis phenom who kicks ass all over the world. Until that day comes, I have to be me. [...]

This one in particular ticks me off as a former regular at the Detnews forums. The lack of creativity and the sheepishness the Detroit media displays when it comes down to chasing a story or responding to what fans really want to know is atrocious. I wish I could get paid to half-ass it and use someone else's research to fulfill my job requirements. I mean, how sad is it that the Pistons Weblog borrows from real fan run Blogs? Is Joanne scooping this board as well? - micro

[IGN.com]

Rasheed Wallace Interview
    Pistons, Air Force Ones, and the Detroit fist.
    by Jon Robinson

March 24, 2006 - The Darko debate. If you're an NBA fan, you've heard the talk. You've probably argued the point yourself for that matter. What if the Pistons drafted Melo, Dwyane Wade, or Chris Bosh instead of Darko? How amazing would the team be?

[Blue Collar Blueprint]

Ordinary Moments
    by Eli Zaret

We were in Denver in early March. The Pistons were practicing at a field house on the campus of the University of Denver before flying to Seattle. There was a side gym and I was leaning up against the bleachers talking with our TV producer Stan Fracker. At one point, I looked over to the practice session a hundred feet away on the far court and was struck by the classic ordinariness of the scene: Players standing at ease listening to their coaches and then jogging through plays as the coaches positioned them and explained things. I said to Stan, “If a stranger walked in, I could point over there and say, ‘by the way, those guys in the wrinkled practice shorts and randomly colored practice jerseys – see them over there -- that’s the best basketball team in the world.” The guy would have said, “Right, and I’m the pope.”

12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Dallas Morning News]

Bouncing Pistons helps Dirk's MVP drive
    BY TIM COWLISHAW
    A big game against Detroit, probably a big game in a Mavericks upset at Detroit, would go a long way toward putting some distance between Dirk and the next two strongest candidates, which should be Phoenix's Steve Nash and Cleveland's LeBron James. If any one of those three wins, fine by me. If any of the others who get MVP mention, such as Detroit's Chauncey Billups, Miami's Dwyane Wade or the Lakers' Kobe Bryant, somehow win the award, then I think something has gone wrong with the process.

[SI.com]​

NBA Notebook: Is home court worth fighting for?
    BY MARTY BURNS
    Health or home court? That's the question for Pistons coach Flip Saunders. With his team's lead in the race for the NBA's best overall record having shrunk to just 1½ games over the Spurs and Mavs, he now has to choose whether to rest his stars or keep pushing for the top spot -- and the resulting prize of home court advantage throughout the playoffs.

"We can't get carried away enough that we start playing all of our guys 41 minutes a night to get the Number 1 seed," Saunders said. "Then they won't have anything left when time comes."

[Need4Sheed.com]

The Pistons Auction Off Jerseys For Charity - The Magic Sell Game Worn Jerseys For Cash
    I guess The Magic really needs the extra cash, and even worse who in their right mind paid $399 for Stacey Augmon's jersey?

13. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit News]

Forget about Mavs blowout
    For the Pistons, playing the Mavericks tonight isn't about gaining redemption for their 37-point drubbing in Dallas on Nov. 19 -- nor is it really about holding on to their slim game-and-a-half advantage for the best overall record in the NBA .... That's not to say the Pistons have forgotten about the debacle in Dallas.

"I know that's not going to happen again," Rasheed Wallace said.

Arrogance gets to Pistons
    The Pistons sometimes fall into the trap of believing all they have to do is show up to win. Lately, it's as if they feel they can just flex their muscles for a quarter or a half, the opponent will buckle and fall.

Offense isn't close to what it used to be
    Opposing scouts will tell you nobody has "figured out" Saunders' offense in 10 years. The Pistons' offensive problems are self-inflicted. Because they are bored, overconfident, mentally fatigued or whatever, the Pistons are taking too many shortcuts. They are treating the three-point arc like a safe house, a place to hide from all the effort and energy it takes to work the ball into the lane.

That won't get it done during the playoffs.

Gerstner's Top 5: Bench lords
    Some coaches will be happy the season is over. Others will be lucky to keep their jobs. But there are a few looking ahead to the playoffs, thanks to their great performances. Here are some leaders for consideration as coach of the year.

Jekyll & Hyde: Rasheed anything but nasty off the court
    "Everything has changed for us being in Detroit; the people here have opened their hearts," Fatima said. "It's been such a blessing for all of us because of how people are here. They're kind, they see Rasheed for who he his and they gave him a chance to be himself."

.... "I make him sign a contract, I write it before games, 'Rasheed has to score 20 or more points,'?" Fatima said. "If not, there will be no dinner. (She laughs.) "He needs a challenge to get that fire in his eyes. If he doesn't have that spark if he's not burning hot, it's too easy for him."

Slam dunks
    Mike James, now of the Raptors, wants to be paid, and he doesn't care who knows it.

"Just give me what I deserve," the former Pistons guard and soon-to-be free agent said. "Don't under pay me. I'm tired of being called an underachiever. I'm tired of being underpaid, and I've been underpaid since I've been in this game, so now it's time for me to get what I deserve. I know I went to Duquesne, I know I was undrafted. But that was five to six years ago. Let's talk about what's happening in 2006."

Detroit News NBA Power Poll
    [Exactly who is the News polling, anyway?]

[Rocky Mountain News]

Division edge matters to the Mavericks
    Detroit Pistons guard Chauncey Billups has shot only .399 since the All-Star break, dropping his percentage to .417. That's well below his mark last season of .442 .... Billups is averaging 19 points and 8.8 assists, but his shooting can't help when it comes to MVP voting.

The only player to shoot worse than .420 and win MVP was Boston's Bob Cousy, who shot .378 in 1956-57 in a vastly different era and won the NBA's second MVP trophy.

14. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit Free Press]​

Delfino next victim of numbers game
    BY DREW SHARP
    Just what nobody wants: "Darko II: The Sequel."

But the Pistons better be careful. Their disjointed development of another young player, Carlos Delfino, is beginning to look familiar. It's that same combination of confusion and consternation that bedeviled Darko Milicic during his ill-fated time here. But Milicic was neither mature enough, nor emotionally resilient enough, to understand that the answer to his problems rested primarily within himself.

"Darko and me are different," Delfino said Monday.

Pistons Corner: Blowout loss to Mavericks is motivation
    The Pistons' first loss of the season, a 37-point shellacking by the Dallas Mavericks last November, happened so long ago that you'd think it was erased from their memory bank later that month. In some ways it probably was.

"But you do remember that," reserve guard Lindsey Hunter said Monday. "They had a lights-out shooting day. Everybody that played, I think, scored. Some games like that happen. Teams get on rolls like that; sometimes we get on rolls like that."

[Oakland Press]​

A Pistons late-March game with meaning
    BY DAVID BIRKETT
    The Pistons hosts the Dallas Mavericks tonight in one of those rare late-March games with meaning. The Pistons lead the Mavericks and Spurs in the race for best record in the league by 1 1/2 games. A Dallas victory would give the Mavs (54-16) the edge over the Pistons (55-14) in case of a tie.

"Nobody probably wants to say it, but everybody looks at that and says, ŒOK, we're jockeying for the best record,' " guard Lindsey Hunter said. "I know they are, too, so it means a little something."

.... "That was one time we actually really got beat," guard Richard Hamilton said. "There's very few times that we went out and thought, 'OK, we didn't lose this game.' I think the game we played out there, we didn't have a chance."

Hill talks about retiring as a Piston
    .... Maurice Evans logged his first did-not-play of the season in Sunday's 79-74 loss to the Nets.

"Just a matter of matchups, the way things went," Pistons coach Flip Saunders said.

15. roscoe36

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Detroit's Iron Men

The Pistons have used the same five starters in each of their first 69 games this year. We know it's an NBA record, but just how extraordinary is it? David Dupree of USA Today tells us:
    Only three other teams have started more than two players in every game, and 12 teams don't have a single [...]

Amir Johnson puts on a show

Amir Johnson may be down in the minors, but he's not forgotten. The above video is from the 2005 McDonalds All-American High School Slam Dunk contest — it's almost a year old, but I just found it and I'm guessing it's also new to most of you.
    Johnson is certainly making the most of his time [...]

[Need4Sheed]

Pistons - Mavericks Preview

The Mavs have been rocking this season and The Pistons are only a game up on the Mavs for the best record in the league. The Mavs are one team that could be really be scary when they play good defense. Just like TNT's Charles Barkley said, “The Mavs are The Colts of the NBA, great in the regular season but no playoff heart.” The Pistons must get this game so The Mavs don’t get any confidence rolling into the playoffs. The Mavs have beaten the Pistons twice in the preseason and once in the regular season, Dirk and crew must be stopped.
    Here are the match ups for this important game......

Rasheed Wallace On MTV Cribs

I hadn't seen the episode of MTV's Cribs with Rasheed Wallace in years but I always checked the listings for the rerun. Well I don't have to check anymore and neither do you.

16. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Dallas Morning News]

Pistons put brakes on Mavs, 97-90
    They came to the Palace of Auburn Hills to make a stand, then wound up on the wrong end of one as the Detroit defense stood strong at the end, holding the Mavericks to two points in the final 4:30 and nothing in the final 2:19.

After Marquis Daniels' short baseline jumper put the Mavericks up 88-86 with 4:34 left, they were outscored 11-2, a clunker of an ending to an otherwise charged-up game.

Johnson reminds injured Mavs that there's no rush
    After the Mavericks' shootaround Tuesday morning, Avery Johnson called Josh Howard, Adrian Griffin and trainer Casey Smith to midcourt for a powwow. For several minutes, Johnson draped an arm over the shoulders of Griffin and Howard. While it had the appearance of a group hug, it was all business.

"We just wanted to make sure we were on the same page," Johnson said. "We're still firm that they're not going to come back until they're ready. And they're not ready. We probably won't have them back in the next game or two."

Stackhouse sticks it to old team again
    If Jerry Stackhouse played every game against a former team, he'd be an MVP candidate, if not a shoo-in for the award. Twice he has gone back to Washington, which traded him to Dallas, and incinerated the Wizards. On Tuesday, he unloaded 25 points on the Detroit Pistons, who traded him to Washington.

[Dallas Star-Telegram]

Winning on all five cylinders
    "I think more than anything, when we talk about everybody being on a string, they're on the string," Mavs coach Avery Johnson said. "They cover for each other, but they have some really good individual defense, and that's what I like about their defense.

"You can talk about team defense all you want. But Billups, Prince, Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace and Hamilton -- there's really no weak link on their team."

[Need4Sheed.com]

Big Shot Back on Track
    Mr. Big Shot is back and Rasheed isn't the only one that's happy about it. Chauncey led the Pistons with 31 points 11 assists and 2 steals and Rasheed added 21 points and 10 rebounds to beat the Dallas Mavericks 97-90. [Includes a "Sheed-tastic" postgame interview]

17. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit News]

Playoff preview goes to Pistons
    The game had a playoff feel. Every possession was manically defended. Both teams had to work extremely hard to score and to their credit, both made one tough shot after another. Seven times in the fourth quarter, the Mavericks took a two-point lead. Seven times the Pistons tied the score. Four came on baskets by Rasheed Wallace, the last at 88-88 with 3:42 left.

That's when the Pistons locked in on defense.

Rob Parker: Don't be fooled, Pistons' defense is as stingy as ever
    The Mavericks, of course, talked about their lack of execution as the reason they fizzled when it mattered most. They would be wrong to honestly believe it the next time -- if there is a next time.

The Pistons expect to be in the Finals for the third straight year. The Mavericks have hopes. They certainly could have felt a little more confident had they beaten the Pistons on their home court. Instead, they leave like 31 of the 34 teams that have played here this season -- defensed to disappointment.

Mavericks learn a few lessons
    "I'd like to say their pressure forced us into a lot of things, but I think we just didn't play smart," Stackhouse said. "That's what cost us the game, as well as offensive rebounds throughout the game. The reason why we lost are things we can correct, things we have to correct, so I guess that's the positive." [No positives for Joanne Gerstner, who misspelled Dirk Nowitzki's name throughout the article. But at least the Diggler gets a nice photo on the next story.]

Pistons official backs Marshall
    Rasheed Wallace thinks Jerry Stackhouse might have picked on the wrong guy. With less than five minutes left in the game, Stackhouse got entangled with Carlos Delfino and dragged him to the court. The officials called the foul on Delfino. Both players came up looking like they were ready to fight before teammates separated them.

"Carlos ain't no punk," Wallace said. "Shoot, they kidnap people where he comes from."

18. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit Free Press]

Pistons 97, Mavs 90: That's entertainment
    The Pistons beat the Mavericks, 97-90, in a game that had everything -- key matchups, two MVP candidates, playoff home-court implications, clutch shots, crazy no-calls, and even Kid Rock flicking off the Jumbotron.

After the game, Pistons coach Flip Saunders told Mavericks coach Avery Johnson, "I'd like to do it seven more times in about 2 1/2 months," Saunders said.

Fast Eddie: He breaks down, recalls statistics lickety-split
    Do you remember what happened with the Pistons on April 27, 1984? You might not. But Eddie Rivero does.

Rivero is a former Pistons locker-room attendant with mild cerebral palsy whose extraordinary ability to remember obscure sports facts and dates could make even a Bad Boy's jaw drop.

Hot topics
    Flip Saunders' flex offense is showing off some puny muscles lately: The Pistons shot 35.6% in the three games before Tuesday.

Between the lines
    We asked the Pistons about what they're reading. [WARNING: Do not view if you have always admired the intellectual abilities of Dale Davis, Antonio McDyess or Maurice Evans.]

19. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[DallasBasketball.com]
    If we do see Mavs-vs.-Pistons, I assume we will also see Dirk Nowitzki vs. Ben Wallace. And it would be a classic. Saunders showered praise upon Big Ben, largely for his turn guarding Dirk Nowitzki. Nowitzki had 25 points, but was only 9-of-23 shooting. And he committed four turnovers.
    .... Said Nowitzki: "I'm not worried about him. I'm just going to keep playing, and when we see them again we'll see what happens."

[Detroit Bad Boys]
    ....a marathon-esque 95-88 run by the Pistons over the balance of the game served as a nail in the Mavericks' coffin. Chauncey Billups and Rasheed Wallace wielded the hammer most often, snapping out of mini-slumps to lead the Pistons with 31 and 21 points, respectively. Mark Cuban's millions may have bought him a courtside ticket, but it cost Billups just 11 dimes to revive Detroit's hibernating offense — Big Shot's deft passing facilitated the team's scoring inside (36 points in the paint) and out (9-12 on three-point attempts).

20. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Cox Newspapers / Statesman.com]
    BY CHRIS McCOSKY
    "I just thought that keeping the status quo, doing it the way it had been done the last 30 years, that meant that you got in a long line with everybody else," Dumars said. "And you wait and you hope over a 20-year period that your number would come up and you'd be lucky enough to win.

"I just thought the status quo was a mundane, boring way to go about it."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.