1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Maurice Cheecks

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by nene, Dec 5, 2013.

1. nene

nene Second Round Draft Pick

Maurice is one of the worst coaches of all the 'nba .. it's amazing that a player like Datome games at up to 2 minutes if all goes well

ps for this team no good this coach and sry for my english

roscoe36 likes this.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think Mo is doing a decent job so far. Jennings is playing better, Stuckey is playing better, Drummond's defense is improving....the team overall is improving, and this is NOT the type of team where all of that can happen on it's own.

3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Maybe it's Billups working his magic behind the scenes.
    Just having him and Sheed back could be doing it.

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Part of the adjustment comes from transition. Last year's starters:

PG - Knight
    SG - Singler
    SF - Prince
    PF - Maxiel
    C - Monroe

This year's starters:

PG - Jennings
    SG - KCP
    SF - Smith
    PF - Monroe
    C - Drummond

We have only one starter returning and he is at a different position this year. Add to that a new coach and it's not going to happen overnight.

coynejeremy, linwood, raxrets and 2 others like this.
  5. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I am more bullish on him than I was a couple weeks ago - a three game road win streak will do that - but I'm still withholding judgment. Jennings is becoming the distributor they want him to be, the Pistons are playing better defense, and they're starting to get into a rhythm. Now, they've done that recently against two of the worst teams in the league and against a Miami team that was already a great match for Detroit and playing without Wade. But the team does have five guys averaging double figures, he has turned Stuckey into a positive force, and Drummond is arguably a top five center in the NBA right now.

I hope I've been wrong about it. I hope that Cheeks "gets it." I hope that the Pistons do bludgeon teams to death with their size. We'll see.

del likes this.
  6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

One thing I am waiting for is what Cheeks will do when Chauncy returns. The improved defense has a lot to do with KCP getting comfortable in the starting lineup. Billips isn't as agile as he used to be and hopefully will be coming off the bench.

coynejeremy and linwood like this.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Gotta give Cheeks credit for believing in Singler. After showing confidence in him, we've gone on a winning streak and Singler's TS% has risen from the depths to 2nd in rotation players behind Drummond (Jerebko is the other one above him, but in limited action). Takes a strong coach to overrule his assistant internet coach.

8. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

I like Cheeks. The guy knows basketball and he seems to have the respect of the players. Maybe he's not the best guy to develope players, but I'm 100% sure all players on the roster will get a higher basketball IQ with Cheeks as a coach. Also, you have the trainers in the staff to develope the players. He seems to have a very positive effect on our guards aswell. Jennings is like 5th in the league in assists, and Stuckey is playing like an actual player for once.

I've said it before, but IF we improve our defense we'd be one of the teams to beat in the league. I know it's a big "if", but I believe we have the personnel to do so.

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am going to keep an open mind with Cheecks.

10. linwood

linwood All-Star

Me too, I'm going to take a "wait and see" attitude. There's still a lot of basketball to play, and if Cheecks can get these guys "playing the right way," then we won't need to escape goat him moving forward.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Cheeks went way out on a limb to say super nice things about Stuckey from the get-go. It seems like it was a conscious attempt to boost his confidence and put some pressure on him. I may be wrong of course, but there is a possibility that Cheeks psycho analyzed the mind of a guard and Mr. Miagi-ed him.

He might be a Wayne Fontes type.

12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Cheecks was working Stuckey during the Summer League. He deserves heaps of praise for him.

I think he's done a good job with the rotation. He's been consistent yet flexible. Everyone knows their role. (How long has it been since we can say that?)

There is just something off about him though. He always has a look on his face like he just realized that he shat his pants again and it doesn't inspire confidence.

He's challenged Monroe to shoot J's, both Monroe and Drummond to play D, and Smith and Jennings with their shots.

The Pistons D has gotten better recently andI think the players have improved since the start of the season. He deserves the credit for all that.

He's done a good job so far save for the few Drummond related mishaps he's had.

roscoe36 likes this.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Something I've noticed is that Cheecks drops the F-Bomb A LOT on the bench and it's absolutely hilarious!

roscoe36 likes this.
  14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Granted the bar is low, but Cheeks seems to be the best coach we had since Flip.

Nemo likes this.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

I think he's better. Flip could never break up his rotations/player groupings like L Frank.

16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Who besides Flip is on the Mount Rushmore of Pistons coaches? No "not a good person" allowed.

17. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Ray Scott

18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Larry Brown, Chuck Daily and a toss up between Ray Scott and Rick Carlisle.....

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

The secretaries will never visit it if Carlisle were on the mountain. What about Dick Vital? I'd totally do the quote bubble with 'Oh, baby!' inside it for his.

Chuck Daly would be in that nylon track suit he wore for the Dream Team practices with the Fonzy-like coif. (Possibly combing it?)

I'd like to go with the 70's plaid jacket wearing, side-burned LB when he looked like the Son of Sam killer, but that doesn't capture his time with the Pistons. I think I'd have to go with a tearful LB wearing the Red Wings jersey.

20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought I said no non-good persons allowed on the mountain.