Breaking News Maurice Cheeks FIRED

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by McQuack, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Such a young team though. I'd just let them play an up tempo style, and just let them loose...then maybe.............

2. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There is no doubt these guys can run, but Loyer needs to be able to get some sort of half court offense going when the other team scores. Which happens often it seems.

The Panda likes this.
  3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I hate to see anyone lose their job..

Gores had to be seething. Beverly Hills Gores had to be embarassed. He must have had Phil and others watch the Pistons to be sure. And then he acted.

I was stunned as far back as the first Laker game and pointed out on this board the lack of offensive system on the team. Many of you have pointed out the weak defensive rotations.

Right after Christmas, I noticed that the team, far from getting better, was in a free fall. I pointed out the season was slipping away. Andre had hit a plateau. Jennings was going nowhere. The press was making Josh the scapegoat. Monroe was lost. I mentioned that things should not be sugar coated. The team was going down. Gores saw it. Gores personal scouts saw it.

Don't know where Dumars fits here. He clearly left this team short with the lack of shooters and the the complete lack of depth at guard. Jennings is almost like a first year player. Bynum was signed in the lean years to provide entertainment. I admire Bynum for making a player of himself but he was always a third tier player. Billips was washed up even at Denver. He had little with the Clippers. Pope is a rookie. The Pistons shooters were Stuckey (who is not a spot up guy) and Singler (who is a year or two away from having that NBA steady shot).

The Pistons need help at guard and they need shooting--that wasn't on the coach. But yes, the team was underperforming and there was just no system in place to give young players some direction.

The Panda likes this.
  4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

More on Dumars. Clearly, he over-estimated the readiness of Jennings. Jennings has potential but he is barely more than a rookie. I disagree with the criticism of Josh. Getting Josh was the right move, Monroe or no Monroe. You bring that type of talent in the try and make it work. The criticism at Josh should have been directed at the coaching and at the guards.

Monroe has been a disappointment but you wonder if he was having the same problems as Josh was. You have to keep Josh and Monroe in a flow and get them the ball where they can do damage--and they can do damage.

By years end, either Stuckey or Monroe or both will be traded. Stuckey is not the right fit for the first unit which needs a player that can stretch the floor and or a driver who can also dish. I hope the Pistons can save Monroe and the big front line experiment. It has not been given a real chance to work. But the Pistons may need Monroe as a trading piece to shore up the other positions. Hard to say. I don't believe Josh's contract is all that bad. Josh can really help put a good team over the top. I would not trade him at this point.

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons are currently only .5 games away from the playoffs, but they are at least 3.5 games out of the #8 seed. The playoffs are actually a much more higher likelihood than obtaining the draft pick, irregardless of who coaches.

6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

considering the players he had ! just as horrible !

7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'd like one of the Van Gundys, don't really care which one. Since they'll probably say no I'd go for Hollins. Laimbeer would probably be Kuester/Mo all over again.

8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

If it has to be one of the Van Gundy's, it has to be JVG. SVG is just wrong.

I think that Laimbeer would need a Popovich-type agreements where he is the GM and the coach to be really successful.

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If you are going to bring in a Van Gundy, you may as well add more circus atmosphere to our coaching shenanigans by hiring both of them and let them fight it out privately on the bench as to who is the HC and who is the assistant. I would prefer Jeff though...

I don't think Lams and Joe can coexist, so Joe would have to be gone before you could put Bill in the job. I would even be Okay with Bill taking Joe's place at both positions. Afterall Bill was GM and coach for the Shock and that resulted in four trips to the finals and three rings. Pop is the GM and coach for the Spurs and he has 4 rings. Doc is the GM and coach for the Clippers and they are on the brink....in a couple of years when he convinces Lebron to join CP3..

10. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Say what you want of Isiah, but he was the first to mention that this team is built to use it athleticism (Monroe excepted).

11. pass99

12. LA Dre

I saw a lot of comments on facebook regarding making Sheed the HC.....I have not seen anything from him that would make that he could be an assistant let alone a head coach.

But at least Laimbeer expressed interest in it back in the Davidson days. I just figured that he has earned his chops more so than Kuester or Curry in being the head man in charge and if Joe is gone, I am sure Laims would not turn down the challenge for either job.

13. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

What this team needs the most is that competitive fire. Of all the available potential targets, I have the most faith in Laimbeer's ability to instill that spirit here.

14. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Laimbeer, while I love him, is boorish. In order for it to work, he would need cerebral, no-ego players. I don't know whether the "stars" on this team (Smith, Jennings, Monroe, Stuckey) would handle a guy like Laimbeer coming in and passively-aggressively assaulting them on a day-in, day-out basis. IF the team was built around guys that fit, sure... but given what they have, I don't see it working.

The Panda likes this.
  15. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I know it isn't the normal Piston approach but I'd go for a big name coach over a guy who hardly can get a gig as an assistant coach.

del and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  16. LA Dre

The big names are all retreads at this point or already gainfully employed.

Joe needs to be accountable for the squad he put together. If he is indeed a lameduck, Gores should just make him prove that this is the right mix and let him be the interim coach for the rest of the season.

If he gets them into the playoffs and into the second round, then that's his new job and Gores looks for a new GM.

I mean if Joe can hire coaches with no experience to coach the team, then let him sweat it out on the bench for the last 32 games and see if he can get Josh to stop shooting threes, get Monroe to play some D around the bucket, get Jennings to find the open man at the right time, then yes he has accomplished something that Mo couldn't do........but then he needs resign and apologize to the fans for not taking the job himself after he fired Flip... :gaah:

hitafreethrow likes this.
  17. pass99

You nailed that one.

18. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I have been saying for a long time that Josh Smith would be a perfect fit in Detroit. He is the ultimate Tayshaun Prince. A guy who can quite literally do everything well (except shoot from more than 10 feet). Sure he has off games, but he is always putting in work. He is our best defender, our best offensive option, one of the best passers right next to being one of the most athletic players in the NBA bar none. The problem is, and this isn't a knock on him, but he isn't a #1 option. That's not his game and everyone makes it out like it should be. We are paying less for him than NOP are paying Eric Gordon. You know, that guy who hasn't played since Tamagochis were cool?

Jennings has showed flashes of being a team players and a good point guard, and surprise, we usually win those games. Josh has shown flashes of being an all star, and we usually win those games. We need acoach who can make this team play consistent basketball. It doesn't need to be Phil Jackson and a flashy system. We need enough system that they can still score in a half court situation, but enough responsibility and autonomy that they can flow in transition.

Defense on the other hand, needs a complete makeover

brofmfa likes this.
  19. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I agree that Josh isn't a first option most of the time. But he has been unfairly criticized. There was no apparent offensive design and so Josh would rarely get the ball in motion. Often he sat outside and the guards threw him the ball in desperation as the clock ran out. Or, the plan was to post Josh repeatedly down low--but again not as a result of movement. Josh is no spot of three bail out shooter and he is not Shaq down low. But as you say, his overall skill level is high.