1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Maurice...Welcome to "MO" Town

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Aug 30, 2005.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

2. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Mo

I think he'll be a nice fit here. And the price was right.

3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Evans

He did play briefly under Flip (and with Chauncey) in Minnesota...I think Joe knows exactly who he's getting...won't run into the motivation problems that have arisen with the foreign players.

4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

HoopsHype link is bad (missing htm on the end).

This guy will prove to be a steal at $1.5 million.

5. dozero

dozero First Round Draft Pick

Just How Joe Likes 'em...

Great interview. Chip on the shoulder? Check. Talent that others slept on? Check. Likes to play defence? Check. Ties to others players or coaching staff? Check. Hungry? Check. Arroyo, Evans, Delfino, Dice, Davis? Not great...but not bad at all.

6. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

No doubt about it folks the kid's definitely got that vaunted Pistons DNA about him! I'm not going to go bananas and proclaim him as some savior and frankly I still would have prefered Jalen Rose... However he is a more than adequate pick up for us to spell Tayshaun & Rip without losing so much firepower as we clearly did last season.

Hopefully Delfino comes around somewhat as well, if not he'd better watch his back... I'm quite sure guys like Mo Evans (whom he probably knows from Italian leauge play) and a guy fighting for his life/job in Alex Acker would have no problem whatsoever snatching all of his minutes!

GO PISTONS!!!!!!

7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Delfino

Yes, I'm wondering what will happen to Delfino. I think there will be a huge preseason battle with Delfino losing out because of his defense.

8. BROTHASONICE

BROTHASONICE Second Round Draft Pick

Mo' In Motown

I read some articles on Mo' Evans, about how he just bought a home in the San Antonio Area close to his Agent. Also how the Spurs and Timberwolves was supposed to be the top two teams that he would sign with. So I don't know what happen, but I glad we signed him. I do admit I did want us to get Finley, but it didn't work out. So I think Mo' was a good pick-up and he seems very hungry to prove himself.

Another article was talking about that he's good friends with KG and how he works out with him every summer at one of KG's homes in California. Hopefully, once they announce the acquisition of Mo' the pistons will talk about some of this information. It's was good to hear that other teams were interested in him and how he's trying to approve his game.

9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

some "Mo" stuff

The Minnesota Timberwolves, with whom Evans played 10 games during the 2001-02 season while establishing a strong relationship with star forward Kevin Garnett

From Sacramento fans perspective:
    He's sort of like Desmond Mason. Obviously not as offensively talented as Mason, but I'd say he's a better man-to-man defender. He can really get after a guy defensively and is pretty versatile. Usually guys in that 6'5" 200lbs range like Mo have trouble defending anyone smaller or bigger than a 2-guard but that's no problem with Evans. He will have some situations where he picks up fouls because of how tight he plays his man, but that could change if he goes from a soft whining team (the Kings) to a team known for physical team defense (the Spurs). He does have one clear weakness on defense, but it is correctable, and it's that he doesn't stay on his feet when his man gives him a head/ball fake. Part of that is probably his aggressiveness making him over-commit, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs coached that out of him.

Offensively he's a little bit limited because his ballhandling isn't the greatest but he knows his limitations so he uses his dribble conservatively. He's a decent spot-up shooter and the 3 from the corner is his most comfortable spot (just like Bowen! :\). When he has the ball around the bucket, he's going to do whatever he can to make the shot go down. I'll really miss that, one of the few Kings with above-average finishing ability. When he gets to running out on the wing, he can go up and get (almost) any alleyoop but the Kings would throw lob passes out of bounds trying too hard to set up a great play. If he's running the wing on the break and you see him with a clear path to the basket, just make the simple pass and he'll be absolutely sure it goes down. When given minutes, he actually showed some flashes of being able to pull up off the dribble and hit a mid-range jumper. If he develops that (and his ballhandling) a bit more he could be a low double figures scoring starter in the NBA.

I think he's better than Devin Brown and has a higher ceiling of achievement when you consider his work ethic and physical gifts. From what I saw of Brown last season, his confidence isn't what it was the season before. I think that affects him, becuase you see him hesitating with the ball or being too self-aware on defense.
    Evans is a well-traveled and smart ballplayer who I don't think you'll ever see lacking in confidence. He might play conservatively or strive to be part of the system, but it won't be because he's scared or not sure of himself.

He's a player that (based off recent history) you know will work hard to improve. He's obviously better than the Mo
    Evans of two seasons ago and in two more seasons I bet he'll be clearly improved from now. He probably will be a Spur and my biggest fear is that he turns into a more athletic version of Bruce Bowen in a year or two and takes over Bowen's starting spot.

Roleplayer's game, but a pretty good one. Not a great ballhandler, and when he gets in trouble its when he gets too excited and tries to create his own offense. But normally avoids that, plays within himself, spots up for open jumpers off the kick, and of course can REALLY finish above the rim. Also loves the alley oop although I think he's otherwise a more mature and settled player than that. Defensively had some real notable stands for us -- once completely locking down Stephon Marbury for an entire 4th quarter after the guy had just been torching us, but not sure he is consistently that great. Average at least though, and has all the physical tools to be better than that. Place where he can really be exciting is on the boards -- when he gets on a roll he's like a minature Rodman and will just be flying all over the court chasing down every ball. Biggest problem for him last year was just inconsistency. He would have a huge game for us one night, and then come back the next and score 3pts.

I would just have if he's going to develop the consistency to be a force every night out, or just continue to give you flashes of brilliance interspersed with games of invisibility. Could just be a youth thing, although note he is not THAT young (26 going on 27), and his overall maturity is actually one of his plusses.

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Joanne Gerstner (sp) says the Pistons will announce the signing of Maurice Evans tomorrow (Friday)

11. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Mo comes to town...

Maurice Evans is coming to town barring a change of heart in Sacto and some instant clearing of cap space. With his build-up, stats, and hard work, i feel that he will be a good asset off the bench. A suggestion Mo, keep up the hard work, knock down your threes, work the glass and you'll surely be a favorite in Detroit.

Another underrated offseason for the Pistons with low-key additions and moves, we have a formidable team to field once again. GO PistonS!!!

12. G-man

G-man Starter

Mo signs

Evans signs with Pistons; Dumars sees a good fit

September 3, 2005

BY KRISTA LATHAM
    [FONT=helvetica,arial]FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER[/FONT]

Maurice Evans officially became a Piston on Friday, when the Sacramento Kings ran out of time to match Detroit's offer for the restricted free-agent swingman.

The Pistons signed Evans to a three-year offer sheet starting at $1.5 million a year on Aug. 24. The Kings had until Thursday -- seven business days -- to match it. Sacramento president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie told his Pistons counterpart, Joe Dumars, early on that he planned to let Evans go.

In Evans, 26, the Pistons added backup help for shooting guard Richard Hamilton and small forward Tayshaun Prince.

"I really like the fact that Maurice is young, athletic and very competitive when he's on the floor," Dumars wrote in an e-mail to the Free Press. "We feel that he will fit right in with the rest of our guys, on and off the court. And getting the right fit is very important to us."

Evans impressed the Kings with his explosive play last season. He opened the season as a starter because of injuries and averaged 6.4 points in his only full year of NBA action.

A Kansas native, he went undrafted after skipping his senior season at Texas in 2001. After spending 10 games with Minnesota, he then skipped through teams in Italy, Greece and Russia before landing a spot with the Kings in training camp last season.

His agent, Roger Montgomery, said that the two sides started talking about a deal in July and that Evans looked forward to playing in Detroit.
    "He's excited to join a championship contender," Montgomery said. "He's excited to reunite with Flip Saunders and Chauncey Billups and to meet the new guys. He's excited to get the chance to see how the Pistons do what they do."

13. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

So I know that they're calling him a back-up to Tayshawn. But the stuff I've read says that he is a SG. He's 6'5". Delfino is bigger. Should be interesting to see how it all works out.

14. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Although he's skinny, why haven't the Pistons thought about using Rip at the 3 spot? With the rotation, perhaps switching Evans at the 2 then moving Rip to the 3 while Prince rests could be a good idea?

Rip IS 6'7 and a decent defender as well.

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Every Piston game people keep trying to compare MoEvans to Darvin. Just not true in anyway except for the strength. Watching MoEvans he seems like a poormans Andre Igoudala. Strong, built like a rock, rebounds well, defends well, 2 great athletes that can jump out the gym, and will go inside hard and strong. Now Iggy is younger with a more upside than Mo, but we just need Mo to be a contributor off the bench. It just hit me that indeed the player I think he most resembles is Igoudala, what do you guys think?

16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Yes he seems like an Iguodala type player. Maurice will be great off the bench he rebounds well, he can block shots, he's a good perimeter defender, he can take people to the hole and finish very well, or he can step out and hit the jumper, he has the ability to create his own shot, and he can run the break very well. He's already one of my favorites, and he'll be a fan favorite soon.

17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Mo was the primary scoring option for Texas... Darvin didn't average double digit points in college...has never been an offensive threat in the association.

I have one concern about Mo... black hole syndrom... he averaged .7 assist for 19 minutes in Sac and the ball rarely leaves his hands so far here.... Maybe Joe needs to talk to him about "Piston ball"... we've got other scorers in the 2nd unit that need their touches also.

18. max

max All-Star

passing

That is true. Seems like the team is either taking quick shots or passing the ball around so many times they forget about the shot-clock.

I have seen players taking mid-range jumpers on 2 and even 3-1 breaks. Lot of freelancing and not seeing open players.

4 more games to get more order in the offense. I am a little dissapointed so far in Flips offensive schemes.

19. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

i'm still on the fence with Flip's offense.

the previous few games, the Pistons looked sharp with their passing and cutting to the hole. Chauncey's said that Flip's playbook is one of the thickest in the league, so maybe we're seeing a little bit of everything. it does seem odd to see so many jumpers without the head coach crapping a brick.

the thing i like is how Mo Evans is on a freaking pogo stick. the guy's got HOPS. that block on Michael Redd, where Mo just put a roof over him was impressive. Mo and Dup are exciting to watch as leapers.

20. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Cheick Samb - welcome to Motown!