Mavs Legit??

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Laimbeer_84, Feb 9, 2006.

?

Are the Mavs a legitimate championship contender??

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    87.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. Laimbeer_84

Laimbeer_84 Second Round Draft Pick

We don't get to see them again until late March and I'm looking forward to that matchup. I definitely think they're legit especially after the thrashing of the Pistons, they destroyed the Heat tonight, they're also on a 13 game win streak as of tonight. They've got some questionable losses on the season (Knicks, Warriors, T-wolves, and Sixers) but still they've made a pretty impressive defensive turnaround. After being one of the worst defensive teams in the league last year Avery Johnson has got them into being one of the better teams on D this year. Avery Johnson isn't getting the hype Flip is but he deserves it just as much, and he's just as deserving of a Coach of the Year nod as Flip. Going too far out on a limb here or are the Mavs legit and has Avery shown as much potential as a coach of the year canidate as has Flip???

2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If the season ended today, Johnson would get my vote for Coach of the Year over Flip.

3. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

They're legit.

At the beginning of the season I said that either the Mavs or the Rockets would come out of the West, and I still believe that. (The Rockets are looking like a long-shot to even make the playoffs after their disastrous start, but I still think they can be a force when they play well.)

When AJ took over for the Mavs last year, he gave them an edge they didn't have before and they finished the year very strongly. I knew that he would really have them playing well after a full training camp, and they have *lots* of talent, even after losing both Finley and (especially) Nash. When they have Dirk, Howard, Daniels, Terry, and Stack runnin', they can be scary good.

Coach of the year? Why not? Look at tonight's game against the Heat: an absolute demolition-job, with contributions from everywhere, and no one playing extended minutes. They've had similar games throughout the season against several of the top teams. AJ is deserving.

4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i said no, cause i felt like it. but with 9 of their next 11 at home...the pistons are gonna have to keep winning to stay ahead.

5. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

They are definitely very legit to be CHAMPIONS this year. Last year was their 1st year with AJ at the helm. He has turn them around defensively. Their players are quite similar to our PISTONS, players with versatility, flexibility, athelism and of course, far more solid bench than us. Players like Van Horn, Stack, Dampier and Daniels coming from the bench. They are deeper this season.

I would rather see us playing the Spurs in the Finals than the Mavs, provided we make it from the East. I have a feeling we match up better against the Spurs than Mavs.

If the Mavs end up with more than 60 wins for the season, AJ has my vote for COY. From the game against Miami, the only starter to play more than 30 min is Dirk. Yes, this is a blowout game for the Mavs but AJ ain't afraid to put the bench into the game when they are up by 26 pts to start the 4th. Unlike Flip, starters still have to be in the game even though the lead is 20 pts with 8 min left in the game. Starters still average 34 min in blowout games.

Finally, if we complaint that we do not get enough recognization early in the season when we were playing so well, let me say this, neither the Mavs. They too do not have superstars in that team. Only player to be in the All Star team is Dirk. They are the only team where the owner has more 'press' than the team, lol, when their team is No.1 in the power ranking.

By the way, Greg Popovich should be more worried than Flip. Mavs and don't forget the Suns, esp with Stoudamire back, would give the Spurs a big run at the WCF.

6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

yes they're a very good contender, but i voted no, and i will stay that way if dirk and the mavericks show me they can do good in the playoffs and not choke.

7. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

They might run out a little, but it could all come tumbling down after they finish an 11 outa 13 road swing in March.

8. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Dallas looks deeper and hungrier than San Antonio. They've got defenders in Howard and Daniels, they've got bench scoring at two or three spots, and I admire their ability to stomp on an opponent once they have them down. Unless something big changes, I think we end up seeing them in the Finals.

9. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

just want to point out that while the mavs are certainly staying right on our tails, i believe there's an interesting contrast between them an us in the games since the all star break:

they seem to be drifting away from the defensive intensity that they've been so justly applauded for this year (e.g. gave up 56 first half points against the grizz, gave up 113 to toronto today: both victories, yes, but they fell behind by 18, and 24, respectively, in each game -- note: it is also true that Josh Howard didn't play today against the Raps)

we on the other hand seem to be rediscovering the ugly art of winning grimy games with hustle and defense when our primary scorers are cold

but if i were a mavs fan, I might be a little concerned that they've only played two decent quarters of defense over the past eight... as a pistons fan it merely serves to justify my wild desire to see the bright side :)

10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Re: Pistons Vs Cavaliers ~ February 26th, 2006

dallas won again, came back on raps. outscored raptors 31-14 in the 4th to go to OT, and they won by 2.

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

they somehow won again. they outscored the raps 31-14 in the fourth to force OT. toronto hit a 3 to tie it with 12 seconds left in OT, but Dirk hit a jumper to win it. again they're only 1.5 games behind us.

12. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

I always laugh when Sir Charles says that they dont play enough d. Ever since Avery took over the Mavs have been improving by leaps and bounds in the d department. Imo untill they beat the Spurs they are still #2 in the west but Dam they look scary.

13. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

lets not forget that in order to come back from a double digit deficit, defense is required...so I would say that yesterday was a step in the right direction. Besides, no way Avery lets that team continue to slip defensively if there is a dropoff.

14. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Re: Pistons Vs Cavaliers ~ February 26th, 2006

I've never been a Dallas fan, I've always hated Cuban's antics (I know he is good for the league exposure wise but......) I've really disliked Dallas's run and gun and NO-D game. But I have to give them some credit for their ability to go on HUGE RUNS. They have won alot of games where they were down huge or where they just go on MONSTER RUNS. They can flatout bury teams. It's sucks giving them praise, but it's well deserved.

On a side-note, I'm a big Darko fan but I cannot stand Dirk's game. He is NEVER in the paint offensively. He is strictly a perimeter guy. I really never wanted Darko to become a DIRK type player. I wanted him to be an OLAJUWON type guy for the Pistons, in the lowpost and passing and blocking shots. I've never been a Dirk fan and I completely enjoyed watching a 6'7 TMAC put the shackles on a 7 foot DIRK in the playoffs (last year?). Dirk needs to remember that he IS a 7 footer and should be dishing out punishment to ANY 6'7 guy that tries to stop him. Until then, Dirk is still a punk.

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

There is no doubt the Mavs are finally for real. They're my favorite team in the West. I've been saying it ever since AJ took over.

They have depth, vets, youth, a wealthy owner who loves basketball and now a very good coach with a fresh voice on the sideline.

16. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

With the Mavs blowing the Spurs game on Thursday and choking against the Suns today it just shows they are not the best team out west. Both games they let leads slip away proving they can not shut down the other team, or that they can not sustain momentum. I don’t know if they can win the west. I might be blowing the losses out of proportion but then again it could be a sign of things to come.

17. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

They've been battling injuries all year though Abe. That needs to be taken into consideration as well.