1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Max and Mr.80

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Oct 26, 2006.

1. max

max All-Star

I am talking about your leading Piston pre-season scorer Jason Maxiel and Amir Johnson who shot over 80% from the field to go along with some boards, blocks, and an assortment of other impressive althletic plays.

As excited as I am about these two the scheptic in me expects Amir to spend 80% of the season in the D-league and for Maxiel to lead the team in DNP's. I can totally see Flip going with a soft 9-man set with Hunter, Murry, Dyess and grudgingy playing Delfino enough to keep Dumars happy.

If we were a lottery team then I am sure these two would be dubbed the future frontcourt and would be thrown into the rotation but we are not. Other contenders are able to find time for their youth, why can't we? Watching these two play in the pre-season I cannot see how a coach can't be thinking how usefull they could be. Especially with our lack of an inside game last season.

There has to be a happy medium in here somewhere. I know its going to be different when these guys start seeing regular sets in games that count but so so far they have both worked very hard and have done everything the coaches have asked. Only way they are going to keep improving is to play and develope confidence in real games.

2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Re: Max as Mr.80

I will go on record right now and say that if Fino and J-Max dont see enough time to prove their worth thid year, it will be the beginning of the end for Flip.

After last years debacle, mainly because of a nonproductive bench and fatigue, I am sure Joe D indicated to Flip in a persuasive manner to play those two.

It would benefit the Pistons to be able to go 9 or even 10 deep in the regular season, and with the players they have now and what they have shown, we should be able to do that.

If Flip wants to keep his job and perhaps win, he will do the right thing.

3. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I agree with you both. JMax & Johnson needs to play even if it means taking a step back initially.

If Flip doesn't know how, then some other coach will find a way.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Pistons won't play Johnson too much in a contract year. Consider some of the performances in the regular season, NBDL and preseason have been nothing short of amazing in short minutes. The kid is a tremendous prospect, and the Pistons were incredibly lucky to draft him.

I don't think AJ will be a regular rotation player for another year or two. But he does need time to develop. Last season, he was probably one of the most dominant players in the NBDL. Easily Top 20. That level may be too low for him by March of next year.

5. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

lol. i love it though. it's interesting how everyone is turning around and saying lets play the young guys. you could be tarred and feathered for saying that a year or two ago.

6. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

It's because they think the team's championship hopes were ruined with the departure of Ben and the evolution of Flip's system though, so I wouldn't take too much credit. I haven't forgotten that you've also predicted:
    • We would be better defensively without Ben
    • Nazr would more than make up for Ben's absence as it pertains to rebounds
    • We will be better on the floor with Dice than Ben because Ben is an offensive liability
    • Dice will perform better than Ben with added minutes (I believed you mentioned break out season)
    • Ben will fail miserably this year in Chicago
    • We will return to the NBA Finals
    • Ben was not the locker room leader and we will not miss his leadership on/off the court
    • Darko will start and threaten all-star status
    Hope you're right Mr. Cocky.

I'll be taking score.

7. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

What are the dates of the d- league season? I assume that Will and Amir will play there this year. Why can't they play there for most of the season. and come back early to help at the end of the season and in the playoffs.

8. max

max All-Star

I thought about that. Perhaps sandbag Johnson so some GM does not offer him a huge deal next summer. Thats very plausable but to keep Johnson interested he should be rewarded with some significant PT.

- These 2 are actually giving it 100% and listening to the coaches.

9. max

max All-Star

The title of this was supposed to be
    Max And Mr.80.

If an admin can please change that if its possible

thanks.

10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'm down with that. Early on we will be integrating Flip and NAZr and finding a role for CD and Maxy.

11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Changes made.

12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I can see Maxiel & Delfino getting at least 10 minutes to start the season... the rest will be up to them... Bashing Flip for not playing the bench this year is premature... He learned from last year (not that playing the bench more would have gauranteed a better team).

I hadn't thought about the possibility of keeping Amir under the radar but that does make sense.... maybe he does sit on our pine instead of the D-League... then sign him long term.

13. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with this. I don't think this is a championship team anyway. Not with Flip at the helm. Let Flip stay to develop some talent and then :gun1: his azz.

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

For over 2 seasons we debated whether DMC should play, and be givin a shot. And for many of us we saw talent w/out a hungry work ethic. When I look at Max and Amir, I see 2 HUNGRY kids with a something to prove and are willing to go all out to show what they can do. What some of y'all cats that have never hooped at a competitive&political level fail to understand is that there is a process to getting on the court. Some players want an opportunity to display their skills, while others FIGHT for an opportunity to show their skills, and then make the most of that small window of opportunity. Max and Amir have done everything they're suppposed to do to get some meaningless minutes, and then made them mean something. Now coaches have to PLAY Maxiel, and everyone from Mr.D to the fans can see it, hell even Stevie Wonder can see that Max has earned the psuedo spot of fourth big man, and is seriously pushing Dyess for the third big man spot. I pray that Dyess stays healthy, because if he misses a game or two, bye-bye rotation spot.

15. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Good post. A balance of carrots and sticks is better than all sticks or all carrots.

16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Writes this on notepad to use later... beat them over the head with carrots instead of sticks... sticks used on salad... got it.:reading:

17. bball jay

the difference is amir had the nbdl and jmax only had to wait one season before he got a huge oppurtunity for playing time. i don't see what happened with jmax as a small window. i see ben leaving as a huge gaping hole in the wall. i see mcdyess and sheed getting 1 year older as a huge hole. i see joe d having a talk with flip about playing the young players as a huge hole.

i disagree that darko didn't show hunger. he put on weight every summer and worked on his game and every preseason played like a mad man. instead of rewarding him with some minutes his coaches wanted to teach him a lesson. lets see what jmax attitude would be like if he played this great in the preseason and still doesn't get minutes. orlando seems to be putting together the right formula to get major production out of darko. the serbian team got production out of darko. you mean to tell me those guys are better coaches than flip and lb?

18. bball jay

we lost our major weakness that teams saw and attacked how does that ruin our championship hopes?? losing ben only took away that angle for teams to try to beat us. ben stopped nobody in the playoffs lets just be honest. if we were contenders last year with ben stopping nobody and ben not hitting a free throw to save his life. how are we not contenders this year with a center that can score in the post and hit free throws?? even if he doesn't stop anybody he's still bringing more to the playoff table than ben did last year.
    i think you got me pretty much covered.

19. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Most of the GMs in the NBA think you're full of it.

But hey, we will see in due time. On the plus side, at least we are both in agreement that Max is the truth. Although I do detect a little hesitance on your side to give him the props he's earned this preseason as he seems to be getting the respect you always wanted for your boy Darko here in Detroit. He'll win you over though when he makes Darko eat leather...I mean rubber this year. :)

20. bball jay

nope. i like jmax but i will defend darko. some people think because jmax is good it gives an opening to attack darko. i think people like jmax but i do think the situation for him and darko was very different. people compare them but what they went through is very different. jmax couldn't score over the 7 foot non shot blocker on memphis what makes you think he'll score on the serbian swat machine???