Maxiell’s Summer School Pays Dividends

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

We're on the same page with this one Lazy. :cheers:

With J-Max's wingspan and power, he could be a nightmare for opposing SFs. If he can increase his lateral quickness, retain his strengh and explosiveness, and show moderate improvement in FT shooting, I'll be happy. I like the idea of a "bruiser" that forces other teams to match up agains us rather than the other way around.

The door is wide open for Delfino now. He's better at the 2 IMO, and should have no trouble TAKING that spot this year. He could also see spot duty at the point given his ball handling skills. But is his shot working?
  2. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

I feel the same way.
  3. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

No way, no how does JMax play the 3. I watched a couple of the summer games, and he was slow guarding 4's. 20 pounds is not going to add that much quickness to him. Slow is slow.

As for power forward, we'll see, maybe his wingspan, and the added quickness helps him defend bigs, doubt it, but hopefully he'll prove me wrong. It's hard for me to get excited about a bigman that's shorter than Rip, Tay, and Delfino.

Personally, my dream projected backup unit would be Delfino, Amir, and Dice. And somewhere somehow, Joe picks up a serviceable backup pg and backup center.
  4. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Maxiell still has a lot to prove. So far all he has shown is that he can throw up a lot of shots in a short amount of time, throw down some posterizing dunks, and brick free throws.

I'm not worried about his heigth personally. He takes up a lot of space, has a long reach, and has guarded the likes of Chris Kaman and other 7-footers effectively in SL. He should be able to guard your average 2nd string PF. Besides, he will have a quickness advantage vs. the bigger guys.

I'm just hoping he can eventually provide an offensive presence in the paint. If he gives us half of what Corliss did during his 6th man years- I will be happy.
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Look for a slimmed down Jmax...
    From McCloskey's blog:
    I am getting a little worried about Jason Maxiell -- dude needs a sandwich. I am joking, but Maxey has lost another 15 pounds since I last saw him in Vegas at summer league. And he had lost about 25 pounds at that time, from the end of the season. He is way lean, a lot quicker and they tell me he is still strong and still able to bang and hold his position in the block. Look for him to get a long look at the fourth big man spot.

According to McCoskey that's 40 LBS dropped...The Brahma may now be "The stallion"... maybe he is shooting for some PT at the SF spot.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I am more impressed with the determination than the weight loss itself. If the guy is putting this much effort into his off season, then he may yet live up to his mini-Ben potential.
  7. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Wow, this news just gets better and better!

Darko lovers should latch on to THIS guy. He's really busting his @zz to play. Maxiell = The People's Champ. Maxiell is bringing Pistons DNA back this season. Watch out!
  8. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

That's hilarious.
  9. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

darko used to have great offseasons too. he would come into camped ripped and ready to play just to sit another year on the bench without getting an oppurtunity. the only difference is maxiell is going to get an oppurtunity. ben is gone so he sees his perfect chance.
  10. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Actually Maxiell has flourished in almost every opportunity he's been granted despite the frustration of not getting playing time. I've never seen him make an excuse or play uninspired because of him not being GIVEN time to play. I understand why Darko would be frustrated, but the Maxiell story is one that is devoid of the softness and the deflated nature filled with excuses we came to know with Darko's tenure as a Piston. Not to mention, he outperformed Darko when he was here. Good luck to Darko, but all hail the BRAHMAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Can't wait till he dunks on Darko in a game!
  11. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

If Darko had Maxiell's mentality we wouldn't be sick over passing on Wade, Bosh, Anthony, Kamen, the Kansas kid in Chicago, etc.
  12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Starting a new campagne... "Kaman in 07"
    the others aren't possible.
  13. bball jay

maxiell jacked up lots of shots during his time on the court. he was a garbage time juggernaut. i don't recall him ever having an assist and he also didn't get many rebounds. let's not bring up his free throw percentage. it was also's maxiell's first year as a piston not 2.5 years of excuses why he isn't given an oppurtunity. he also wasn't a # 2 pick.

i dispute that he outperformed darko. maxiell is more aggressive offensively for himself that's it. darko is better defensively and he's a better team offensive player. who got amir his first nba points?? it was darko not the black hole brahma.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

As much as I want to argue these points... you are correct.
    With the exception that Darko looked like a lost kid in the park... no ringing endorsements for his lack of production or effort on offense.... keep it real.
    Brahma will have to become a better TEAM player for sure.
  15. bball jay

if darko had wade, bosh, anthony, kaman, hinrich's oppurtunity then we'd be talking about dynasty instead of the uncertainty if nazr can replace ben wallace. while darko is ripped at 7'1 270 we are happy our baby ben dropped 40 lbs over the summer. you can't teach size. the fight in the dog only matters until the big dog decides to shake the little dog up like a chew toy.

bosh looked pretty bad in his appearances in the worlds this summer when he wasn't given playing time. we all know he's a great player but the amount of oppurtunity wasn't there and he looked bad.

maxiell just came at the right time. ben is gone, darko is gone, flip loves offense.
  16. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Any player who is said to be better than Darko in any way must be punished with a spiteful nickname. Here's the list so far:

Ben Wallace
    crime: conspired to oppress poor Darko by not letting him play
    punishment: "the malcontent"

Jason Maxiell
    crime: played hard in garbage time just to make poor Darko look bad
    punishment: "black hole brahma"
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You also can't teach heart.
  18. roscoe36

lurker, bball jay actually has mean nicknames for Lindsey Hunter (crime: not passing Darko the ball) and Larry Brown (crime: not hugging Darko enough).

I'm not lying.
  19. bball jay

talent beats heart 99% of the time.

it takes heart to go through what darko has and still become an elite player which he will be. i think darko has had one of the roughest roads a # 2 pick has ever had. he's been through ridicule, mistreatment and lies all at a young age. is trying to tear the rim down heart?? it showed heart to drive to the hole and slam it in zo's face. the same zo that repeatedly stuffed ben wallace dunks the piston example of heart in the playoffs of 2005. does it take heart to stand toe to toe with dikembe laugh in his face and then block his hook shot. i think people are misunderstanding a laid back euro attitude for not having heart. a player with no heart would take his millions and accept not playing. darko had the heart to go to joe d and say trade me so i can prove myself.

lol. i hadn't realized that i subconsciously gave lindsey and lb nicknames because of attacks on darko.
  20. roscoe36

Tell that to the Bad Boys. Tell it to Bill Russell.

You should read up on Jason Maxiell to know what heart and perseverance are really about.

The News Record

11 pages.

You are only laughing because you know it is true. :cold: