May 2006 Pistons articles *Frequent Updates*

Discussion in 'Pistons Archive' started by LanierFan, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit News]

Hamilton searches for his rhythm
    He watched again as Michael Redd scored 40 points on him and others. He saw himself struggling to find his rhythm, struggling to find any kind of space on the offensive end. He saw himself losing his composure with Redd and the officials.

The No. 32 in the Pistons uniform on that film was a player he didn't really recognize as himself.

Chris McCosky's Game 4 preview
    "We gave up 124 points, man," Chauncey Billups said, with disgust. "That's a lot of points for a bad defensive team to give up. For us, and the pride we have, that's just not acceptable. We know that. I think you will see (tonight) a lot of things will be different."

Pistons Notebook: "We have to go to" Rasheed
    "Usually when a play is working, we like to go back to it until teams find a way to stop it," coach Flip Saunders said. "But we got a couple of fast-break opportunities and butchered them. We made a concerted effort at one point to get Rip going and we sort of played out of character a little bit.

"There's no question that when you have a guy like Sheed, and he has it going, you have to maximize that hot hand as long as he's got it going."

[NBA.com]

Detroit Pistons Game Five Tickets on Sale Monday
    AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - The Detroit Pistons announce that tickets for Game Five, Round One of their series against the Milwaukee Bucks, including 500, $12 tickets, will go on sale Monday, May 1, at 10:00 a.m. The Pistons will use a random numbering procedure to select the first person in line from those on-site, beginning at 9:30 a.m. The date of Game Five at The Palace is Wednesday, May 3. Game time is still to be determined.

[Associated Press]

Ford Shows Brilliance Against Pistons
    ... The Pistons, who allowed the Bucks to score more points on them than anyone since 2001, returned to their consistent plan - and practice schedule - after the uncharacteristic blow out.

"Same like it always is," Chauncey Billups said. "That's why we're so good. We don't really change, we don't press, we stay poised. They had a good game, you've got to give them a lot of credit."

[Racine Journal Times]

GERY WOELFEL: Pistons' Hamilton should sit out Game 4
    “I definitely think he did it on purpose,’’ Redd said. “It (Hamilton’s elbow) was way up, way up. The film showed it all.’’

Asked if Hamilton should be suspended, Redd said, “That’s up to the NBA. I just play basketball. I know Larry’s talking to them (NBA officials) today.’’

[Milwaukee Journal Sentinel]

Doing the dishes
    The formula for success has been pretty much the same all season for the Milwaukee Bucks.

When they have been at their best, they have passed the ball and gotten everyone involved. That tends to lead to better shots, which of course have a better chance of going in.

Pistons' sparkplug tunes up for Game 4
    Hamilton admitted that the injury has weighed on his mind a bit, and it has taken away from one of the greatest strengths of his game, his ability to move without the ball and work open off screens.

"I ain't moving like I usually move," he said. "I looked at that when we watched tape today. It was like I was walking up the court sometimes. I'm not cutting the way I used to cut. I've got to get strength in my ankle; I got kneed in the thigh yesterday. I've got to figure out a way. I've got to be mentally tough to help my team win."

[YAYsports!]​

Michael Redd knows how to shoot and such
    It's cute to go read how excited they are in Milwaukee, but let's face it, short of huge asteroids coming down and destroying Detroit, the Bucks aren't winning this series.

2. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit Free Press]

Hamilton is pleased after workout
    MILWAUKEE -- Outside, rain fell, wind circled and gloom ruled in Milwaukee on Sunday afternoon. But inside the Al McGuire Center on Marquette's campus, Richard Hamilton beamed.

That's because Sunday, Hamilton pulled on a practice jersey and ran through an off-day workout for the first time since he sprained his left ankle in Game 1 of the best-of-seven series with the Milwaukee Bucks.

Oh, what a difference a win makes for Bucks
    "We've got one more to go," said Ford, who dished 15 assists in Game 3, tying him for second-most single-game playoff total in team history. "It's definitely a brand-new series. We'll take care of business (today) and do what we're supposed to do and take care of home-court advantage. It's still a must-win for us to go to Detroit 2-2."

Playoffs on big screens
    Why fly or waste precious gas driving to Edmonton or Milwaukee to cheer on the Red Wings and Pistons when you can watch the home teams from metro Detroit venues? Tonight, the area's sports-loving bars and restaurants are ready to feed you and flat-screen-TV you. Here are some area favorites, including a tip on where the Wings' Red Patrol will be hanging out.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Sexual healing

So I'm not as cranky today. Why?

1. Kobe Bryant.1

2. The Baby Bulls; specifically, Andres Nocioni, Kirk Hinrich, and Ben Gordon.

3. And finally, my fiancee snapped the below pic for me while she was in Michigan this weekend. Note: I'm told the photo was snapped in Westland.

Let's just hope the [...]

[Fox Sports]

Bucks' Ford shows brilliance against patient Pistons
    Associated Press

MILWAUKEE (AP) - T.J. Ford studied Sunday how he was finally able to break down the Detroit Pistons' formidable guards.

The Bucks trail Detroit 2-1 in the Eastern Conference series with Game 4 on Monday night.

Ford's career-high 15 assists in Milwaukee's 124-104 victory on Saturday night was just off the franchise's playoff best of 16 set by Hall of Famer Oscar Robertson and twice tied by all-time Bucks assist leader Paul Pressey.

"Those are some of the greats," Ford said Sunday. "I want to finish my career here and hopefully one day my jersey can be retired with the Bucks, too."

Some thought Ford's career was over in February 2004.

[Booth Newspapers]

Pistons hope to learn from mistakes
    by A. Sherrod Blakely

MILWAUKEE -- There's no such thing as a good playoff loss, but the Detroit Pistons believe something positive can come from their being whipped, 124-104, by Milwaukee on Saturday.

Several Pistons talked about how the loss should help them regain their focus on the little things they normally do to win games but that they didn't do in Game 3 on Saturday.

"It reminds us when we don't do what we're supposed to do out there, we can get beat," said Detroit center Ben Wallace.

[The Oakland Press]

Rip: That wasn't me in Game 3
    by DANA GAURUDER

MILWAUKEE, Wis. - Plenty of people around the country wear Richard Hamilton replica jerseys. When Hamilton watched the replay of the Pistons' last game, he was wondering who was trying to impersonate him on the court.

The skinny guy in the blue uniform with the Velcro, form-fitting mask covering his nose and cheeks resembled Hamilton, but he certainly didn't play like him. Rather than scampering around the court like a frightened cat, this impostor slogged around in slow motion.

Embarrassment over Bucks' output
    by DANA GAURUDER

MILWAUKEE, Wis. - To paraphrase Rasheed Wallace, the numbers don't lie. The last time the Pistons' defense was as soft as it was in Game 3, Grant Hill was completing his fi rst season in the NBA.

Not since the tail end of the 1994-95 season - a year in which the Pistons fi nished 28-54 - have they given up more than 124 points during a regulation game. They surrendered 129 to Miami on the final night of that wayward season.

4. roscoe36

[Need4Sheed]

Expect Big Things From Rip Hamilton

Since Rip Hamilton's game one ankle injury he just hasn't been the Rip we have come to count on, that's to be expected with his type of injury. Hamilton relies on his speed and agility to cut through screens and pester his defender and he hasn't been able to do that. Many people, including myself have wondered why Rip didn't sit a couple of days to rest his injury and let it heal during this first round match up with the Bucks.

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Transplant fans should root for the Mavs

While listening to the local sportstalk station1 last night after the Wizards game, I learned something of interest to fellow transplanted Piston fans. If Dallas sweeps Memphis tonight, Game 5 of Pistons v. Bucks will be on TNT on Wednesday night. But, should the Grizzlies pull out the W tonight, the Pistons would [...]

Ain't nothing going to change but the weather

Rasheed on Milwaukee's win in Game 3 and how the Pistons will try to adjust in Game 4:
    "I don't think they can repeat that performance," Rasheed Wallace said. "Ain't nothing going to change but the weather."

The NBA's hairy situation

Is it me, or are more NBA players than ever channeling their inner Mark Eaton? As I remember it, only a handful of players back in the day sported full beards, but these days it seems like entire rosters are rocking out with full-length facial follicles.
    I'm not referring to Shaquille O'Neal's "Buddha Edwards" Fu [...]

Ben Wallace is NBA.com's DPOY

The official Defensive Player of the Year award, voted upon by the media, has yet to be named. However, NBA.com polled the league's general managers, who picked Ben Wallace in a landslide, with Bruce Bowen and Andrei Kirilenko finishing second and third, respectively. Also receiving first-place votes were Kobe Bryant, Alonzo Mourning, Dwyane Wade and [...]

[Herald Sun]

Bogut's Bucks party
    ANDREW Bogut and the Milwaukee Bucks are back in the game.
    by Grantley Bernard

After dropping the first two games of the best-of-seven NBA Eastern Conference first round playoff series to Detroit, the young Bucks hit back with a 124-104 home victory in Game 3.

[The Sheboygan Press]

Adam Thompson column: Bucks too inconsistent to advance

Watching the Milwaukee Bucks dismantle the top-seeded Detroit Pistons Saturday night was an impressive sight to behold, to say the least.

The Bucks shot a blistering 60 percent, held strong against the Pistons' frontcourt and guys like Toni Kukoc and T.J. Ford stepped up their games enormously. That's not even mentioning Michael Redd's 40-point outburst.

It was also quite frustrating to observe. After all, where was this when it really counted?

roscoe36: Yep, I'm scraping the walls of cyberspace with fingernails Lebron has not chewed off yet. Who woulda thunk you would be reading Aussie news and a blog entry from Sheboygan? Which brings me to today's missive.

Have you posted recently or at all? And if you haven't, why not start (again)? Take a minute out of your hectic life to say hello to the posting membership right here! Pay it forward. Your support makes, uhm.. well, uhm.. you know...it's REALLY good to have your support because news posting is not glamorous! :D

5. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Associated Press]

Billups' 34 Helps Pistons Take 3-1 Lead
    MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Chauncey Billups got sick of chasing T.J. Ford around the court. So he decided to make Ford do the chasing.

Billups scored 13 fourth-quarter points - including a critical 3-pointer and six straight free throws down the stretch - as the Detroit Pistons beat the Milwaukee Bucks 109-99 to take a 3-1 lead in the first round of the NBA playoffs Monday night.

[Detroit Free Press]

Game 4: Pistons 109, Bucks 99
    MILWAUKEE -- The Pistons will be happy to leave the bad memories of Milwaukee behind when they wake up at home today. All Wisconsin offered was Bucks guard Michael Redd draining jumpers, a suddenly missing-in-action defense, a plethora of whistles, chants of "Detroit sucks!" and ugly nights for starters Richard Hamilton and Ben Wallace.

And one other thing -- in the final moments, it yielded a 109-99 win.
    The Pistons stole Game 4 of their first round playoff series at the Bradley Center on Monday night thanks to an 8-0 run in the fourth quarter and perfect free throw shooting from Chauncey Billups down the stretch.

[Fox Sports]

MIKE KAHN: Cassell has the Clippers flying high
    In the event the Milwaukee Bucks had any designs at taking a run at the two-time Eastern Conference champion Detroit Pistons following Saturday's 20-point win in Milwaukee, Chauncey Billups put them in their place. Billups sank all 16 of his free throw attempts, finishing with 34 points as the Pistons pulled away in the fourth quarter en route to a 109-99 victory in Milwaukee; and now they're headed home with a 3-1 lead .... The Pistons crushed the Bucks down the stretch, outscoring them 35-23 in the fourth quarter with defensive stops and getting to the foul line — outscoring Milwaukee 31-19 from the line.

Danger Zone: Bucks on the brink of elimination
    “They’re a very experienced team and down the stretch, they know exactly how to get it done,” veteran Bucks forward Toni Kukoc said. “That’s why they are who they are.”

Said Bucks coach Terry Stotts: “They played a good game and we played a good game. With 2 minutes to go, it could have gone either way.” [This story has an excellent game recap, as Milwaukee's newspapers continue to kick butt against their Detroit rivals.]

MICHAEL HUNT: This is no choke, Pistons simply are better team
    In an entertaining and well-played game otherwise too frequently interrupted by whistles - maybe the officials failed to check their watches to note that it was May, time to let the players play - the Bucks were beaten mostly because the league's rightful MVP refused to allow the Pistons to lose. Chauncey Billups scored 34 points and seized the final minutes, ultimately exposing one of the glaring differences between a championship aspirant and the Bucks.

Ford gets his motor running in second half
    Ford sank seven of eight shots in the third quarter as the Bucks rallied from a six-point halftime deficit. It was the point guard's jumper with 1 minute 55 seconds left in the quarter that created a 70-70 tie, but he picked up his fourth foul 14 seconds later and had to go to the bench.

"I've been in foul trouble this whole series," Ford said. "But it's tough when you're going against Chauncey (Billups). He's hard to defend once he turns his back.

No turn of the century
    Through three quarters, the Bucks were shooting 60% and seemed poised to crack the 100-point mark for the second time in this series .... But Detroit’s playoff experience might have been the deciding factor in the end. The Pistons outscored the Bucks, 35-23, and finished the game on a 14-6 run.

Monday Buck report
    STATISTICS SHEET: The Bucks trailed at halftime, 51-45, despite shooting 55.9%, out-rebounding Detroit by two, and outscoring the Pistons in fast-break points, 12-0. Detroit had an 11-5 edge in free throws.

OFF THE BENCH: In the second quarter, the Pistons got seven points from Lindsey Hunter, five from Tony Delk, three from Maurice Evans and two from Antonio McDyess.

League punishes Pistons' Hamilton
    Stu Jackson, the National Basketball Association's vice president of basketball operations, announced that Hamilton had been fined $15,000 and assessed a Flagrant Foul 2 for "unnecessary and excessive contact" with Redd in the fourth quarter of the Bucks' 124-104 victory over the Pistons in Game 3 of their first-round playoff series.

[Wisconsin State Journal]

Milwaukee down, almost out after Game 4 loss
    Pistons forward Tayshaun Prince, who finished with 18 points, answered with a short hook shot to put Detroit ahead 87-86. Then things rapidly deteriorated for the Bucks. Rookie forward Andrew Bogut missed a pair of free throws on the Bucks' ensuing possession. And the Pistons' offense showed up with back-breaking ruthlessness on its next two.

Chauncey Billups, who had a game-high 34 points, buried a long 3-pointer just before the shot clock expired to make it 90-86. After an offensive foul call on Bucks forward Bobby Simmons, Pistons guard Rip Hamilton found himself open in the left corner and buried another 3-pointer to make it 93-86 with 3:48 to play.

[Racine Journal Times]

GERY WOELFEL: Stu Jackson strikes again
    So what was the reaction of the Bucks to Jackson's decision? You won't know. The NBA bans front office officials, coaches and players from making any public comment after a fine or suspension is meted out. I can tell you this: They weren't happy about it. One Bucks player snarled to another teammate, "If that was me, I wouldn't be suiting up tonight.'' Responded his teammate, "Neither would I or anyone else in this locker room.''

6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit News]

Just one to go
    MILWAUKEE -- Championship teams don't blow 15-point leads in four minutes against sub-.500 teams. Championship teams don't miss 10 free throws. They don't allow teams to shoot 55 percent from the floor the game after they allowed it to shoot 60 percent. They don't allow 5-foot-10 point guards to torch them for 16 points in a quarter.

But championship teams do keep their poise and they continue to fight in hostile environments. Championship teams do find a way, somehow, to overcome all their misdeeds.

Pistons' grades
    B Ben Wallace was hamstrung a bit with two early fouls, thanks to the refs going with a very tight game call. No banging allowed. [You saw Ben's production in this game. Is that a B? Only obsessive-compulsive disorder makes me include anything of Gerstner's.]

Pistons' three stars
    Chauncey Billups, Pistons: He's the picture of consistency, staying calm and collected when the Bradley Center was a den of screaming fans. He had a game-high 34 points and was 16-for-16 from the free-throw line.

T.J. Ford, Bucks: He was everywhere in the second and third quarters, leading the Bucks back from a 15-point deficit. He had 16 of his 21 points in the third quarter. Ford is undersized but played with tons of speed and heart.

Antonio McDyess, Pistons: He worked very hard to give the Pistons second chances, nabbing gritty rebounds. He had 11 points, 11 rebounds and two blocks.

Pistons Report
    Rasheed Wallace was called for fouling Andrew Bogut at 6:01 in the first. Rasheed (surprise) didn't agree with the call, talking to the referees about the infraction.

Bogut missed the first free throw, and Rasheed celebrated by yelling "Ball Don't Lie!" Bogut missed the next free throw, and Rasheed celebrated by pumping his fist and yelling "Yeah!"

Mentor Hunter is schooled
    MILWAUKEE -- Lindsey Hunter had seen that show before, going back to when he was in high school in Jackson, Miss. There was this runty little kid who hung around with his younger brother, Tommy, who could really shoot the ball. Once he started making shots, it seemed like he couldn't stop.

Flash ahead to Game 3 on Saturday, and there was that little kid again, all grown up and still raining jump shots all over the floor. Bucks reserve guard Mo Williams knocked down 9 of his 10 shots and scored 20 points -- most of them in the face of Hunter's defensive pressure.

Fine baffles Hamilton
    Richard Hamilton was as surprised as anyone when he heard the news that he had been fined $15,000 and awarded a flagrant 2 foul for elbowing Michael Redd in Game 3.

"I have never gotten a flagrant 2 my whole career," Hamilton said. "To have them fine me $15,000, I don't think that's fair."

NBA's disciplinarians should back off on alleged flagrant fouls
    Denver's Reggie Evans grabs Chris Kaman of the Clippers in what we can only describe as a most sensitive area of the body and gets a $10,000 fine from the league.

Richard Hamilton tries to disentangle himself from Michael Redd in Game 3, inadvertently grazes Redd with his elbow and gets a $15,000 fine?

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Pistons poach Bucks
    We've all lamented repeatedly about this team's tendency to hover around the perimeter despite physical advantages down low. Rasheed Wallace has been particularly criticized this season for said transgressions while firing up an unbelieveable 434 threes. But tonight, the team reapeatedly took the ball into the post. Chauncey Billups, Sheed, and Tayshaun Prince each exploited mismatches against the Bucks defense, and the steady stream of good shots resulted in a number of opportunities close in.

[Bucks Diary]​

Live Blog: Game 4
    When the Pistons bench is playing this well, no one on Earth will beat them... Tony Delk is killing us? Oh my God... What's up with that guy's arms?... He's the strangest looking dude in the Association... Wallace may have gotten a T, but he definetely got in the refs heads with his whining... I love this Pistons G Maurice Evans, when is he going to be on the market?... Bogut can guard Ben Wallace, he cannot guard Rasheed Wallace or McDyess... Kukoc has made a difference, but tonight it looks like it won't be enough... The Pistons can make shots like no other team I've seen in the play-offs... Ford is off his game, he already has too many turnovers... If the Bucks don't play better defense, this thing is over in a big way... The Bucks should consider staying with their men rather than collapsing on the penetrators... The refs basically put the kibosh on the Bucks run at the end of the half... If this thing gets out of control there will be no third quarter live blog. [And there wasn't.]

7. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

~ The Oakland Press ~

Pistons outlast Milwaukee
    By Dana Gauruder

The Pistons know how to make plays during the toughest moments of playoff basketball. The Milwaukee Bucks are still learning.

Drawing upon those past experiences, the Pistons shrugged off a difficult challenge from the eighthseeded Bucks and took a commanding 3-1 lead in their Eastern Conference fi rst-round series Monday night.
    Led by Chauncey Billups' 34 points and six assists, the Pistons outscored the Bucks 35-23 in the fourth quarter of a 109-99 victory at Milwaukee's Bradley Center.

Hunter giving Pistons a big lift
    By Dana Gauruder

It has become an annual rite of spring. Lindsey Hunter heads into the NBA playoffs pondering retirement and wondering whether he'll get another chance to win a championship. But when the games begin, he makes a convincing case for coming back for another season.

"I've learned to cherish these moments, being in the league as long as I have," said Hunter, who began his NBA career in 1993. "You don't have too many chances to compete for a title. I don't take it for granted. I just try to really get myself focused and prepared. That's what it's all about."

TV takes us to places on big night
    By Keith Langlois

You know what would be nice? If somebody could figure out how to work the picture-in-picture function. I'm on my third TV with that new-age feature, and nobody yet has been able to show me how to make it work.

In fact, I don't know anyone else who's figured it out, either. Seems to me there's a business opportunity there for somebody.
    Too late to help me on a night when the Red Wings are fighting for survival and the Pistons are coming off a perplexing blowout loss. Plan B: The remote control and an extra set of AA batteries.

~ Booth Newspapers ~

Billups, McDyess lead Pistons to brink of first-round victory
    By A. Sherrod Blakely

Shortly after Detroit's Game 3 loss to Milwaukee on Saturday, Antonio McDyess got an unexpected phone call in his hotel room.
    It was teammate Chauncey Billups, apologizing for not being more assertive sooner in the game.
    Billups explained how he should have set the tone offensively for the Pistons earlier, something he would look to do on Monday.

True to his word, Billups was a factor early and late offensively in leading the Pistons to a 109-99 come-from-behind win over the Milwaukee Bucks to take a 3-1 lead in the first-round playoff series.

At the end, Pistons went with roll of Dice
    By A. Sherrod Blakely

With less than five minutes to play, Detroit Pistons forward Antonio McDyess expected to see Ben Wallace sitting at the scorer's table, ready to come into the game and replace him.

McDyess looked over at head coach Flip Saunders, who nodded at him to stay on the floor. He looked at Wallace on the bench, who gave him a similar nod.

"He (Wallace) told me, `You were playing so well, you needed to stay out there,"' McDyess said. "I was happy to hear that from him."
    So were the Pistons, who got a major lift from McDyess down the stretch as they rallied for a 109-99 Game 4 win over the Bucks. McDyess, who played 28 minutes, had his first double-double of the series with 11 points and 11 rebounds. ​

8. roscoe36

[The Sporting News]

Pistons' Lowe reinterested in N.C. State
    Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Detroit Pistons assistant coach Sidney Lowe, one of the stars of North Carolina State's 1983 national championship team, says he's interested in returning to coach the Wolfpack.

"Yeah, one day," Lowe told The News & Observer of Raleigh. "I'd definitely have interest in it one day. It's something I would hope would happen."

HALLWAY COACH! HIDE THE DONUTS!

[NBADraft.net]

State of the Cap: Detroit Pistons
    By Josh Redetzke

2006/07 Detroit Pistons Payroll: $47.5 million
    2006/07 Estimated NBA Salary Cap: $52 million
    Roughly: $4.5 million under cap

The Good, the Bad and the Future...

[NBC5]

Man Accused Of Starting Pistons-Pacers Brawl Sentenced

ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich. -- The man accused of throwing the cup that sparked a 2004 brawl at The Palace of Auburn Hills was sentenced Monday to 30 days in jail.

John Green, 41, of Oakland County's West Bloomfield Township, was also sentenced to two years of probation.

The brawl between Indiana Pacers players and Detroit Pistons fans occurred when Ron Artest was hit with a beverage.

The man single handedly responsible for the Spurs first round elimination in 2006. A fan can dream can't he?

9. roscoe36

[Bucks Diary]

McDyess is a monster

With all due respect to "The Catalyst" (who has played quite well), the Most Valuable Player thus far in the Pistons' first round series against the Bucks has been PF Antonio McDyess. He gets it done every night. The Bucks simply have no answer for him.

Prince Makes the Difference in Game Four

If you watch NBA basketball enough, you will notice that in every close fought game, as last night's Game Four of the Pistons-Bucks series was, there comes a tipping point. A point, usually late in the fourth quarter, at which one team gains the subtle advantage and the other team is left to play the rest of the game uphill. Last night the tipping point came at the free throw line when Bucks FC Andrew Bogut bricked two free throws. The Pistons hit back-to-back 3 pointers, with yet another Buck turnover sandwiched in between, and it was good night, Milwaukee.

10. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Associated Press]

Pistons Know How to Close Out a Series
    When the Pistons have had a chance to end a series since the 2003 playoffs, they have won nine of their last 10 games - with the only loss coming last year at San Antonio in Game 7 of the NBA Finals.

"We know we can't let teams back in series and that closeout games are the most important games," reserve guard Lindsey Hunter said.

[CBS Sportline]

Series: Pistons vs. Bucks
    The Pistons survived a major scare in Game 4, out-lasting a game Milwaukee squad to keep the series comfortably in their favor. The Bucks must win in Auburn Hills to extend the series, and are confident they can do so after playing right with Detroit in consecutive games.

Defiant Bucks vow to keep on fighting
    Bell drew a contrast to what has happened in a couple of the other series.

"We're not going to lay down," he said. "We're going to make it a game. If you look at some of these other teams . . . with Denver getting blown out and Memphis getting blown out, kind of laying down because the series is kind of over. We're not going to lay down. We're a young, hungry team and we've got a lot to prove and we're going to go out there and give it all we've got."

Billups gets Bell's ringing endorsement
    "Kobe's great, but they're the best team out there," Bell said of the Pistons. "He's the leader of that team.

"It's usually a guy on the winning team that gets the MVP, and they've been winning all season long. He's the MVP to me. Probably what hurts Chauncey is their team is so good. You look at those five guys, or the first six or seven guys. Take Chauncey away, and they'd still be a good team, where if you take some of these players off these other teams, they won't be as good."

[Racine Journal Times]

GERY WOEFEL: NBA's newest superstar: Michael Redd
    "For a guy to be the focal point of their offense and still put up the numbers he did was incredible,'' Hunter said. "I consider him to be a superstar. I mean, what more can you ask the guy to do?'' What Redd desperately wants to do is take the Bucks to the promised land, the NBA championship. Realistically, that's not going to happen this year or anytime soon. But that hasn't quelled his passion to bring out the best in the Bucks like he did Saturday night.

11. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit News]

ROB PARKER: Rasheed might go Buck wild tonight
    When you look up "mismatch" in the dictionary, there's a picture of Wallace and Bucks power forward Andrew Bogut, a poor rookie, no less.

"We have to get him the ball," point guard Chauncey Billups said. "He presents a matchup problem for them. No one can guard him."

Pistons Notebook: McDyess' extra playing time doesn't bother Ben Wallace
    "McDyess was loose and he was playing well," Wallace said. "We don't need me going out there. I thought he was doing a nice job on the boards, he was playing well on the defensive end. The group that was out there was playing well, they were feeding off each other. So I didn't think I needed to be out there and shake things up a little bit or change up the rhythm of the game."

.... [Amir] Johnson, who is 6-foot-9, came behind Wilson, put his hands on his shoulders, and jumped straight over an unbowed Wilson with ease. Johnson had enough clearance to get his baggy shorts well over Wilson's head. And Wilson is 6-4.

"That was pretty impressive," Wilson said, laughing. "I'm glad he made it, otherwise I would be pretty unhappy with him crashing down on top of me." [Belated Happy Birthday to Amir, who turned 19 on Wednesday.]

Chris McCosky's Game 5 Preview
    Over the last two games Bucks rookie Andrew Bogut has taken several shots away from the play at Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess. He elbowed McDyess in the throat after a made free throw late in Game 4. McDyess retaliated by throwing an elbow of his own and drew a technical foul.

Bobby Simmons, who is playing despite an injured leg and clearly not up to game speed, has had do a lot of clutching and grabbing to keep up with Tayshaun Prince or whoever he might be guarding. Michael Redd , too, has been a pest. He and Richard Hamilton have been exchanging elbows and knees all series. In Game 4, Redd, driving in for a layup, led with his feet, Bruce Lee-style and kicked Prince hard in the groin.

12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit Free Press]

Pistons would dearly love to finish off the Bucks tonight
    "When you get the opportunity to close a team out, you just have to come out with a lot of energy early," Ben Wallace said. "You just have to go out there and withstand some of their energy, play through it, and hopefully they'll wear themselves down."

A victory tonight would bring the Pistons a lot of positives. Not only would they win the series and move one step closer to their goal -- getting back to the NBA Finals -- they would get extra rest while the other three East series stretch to at least six games.

Pistons Corner: Foul trouble plagues Big Ben
    As playoff series go deeper and deeper, opponents can get mighty sick of one another. That's where the extra chippiness -- the pushing, the shoving, the smack talk and even the flagrant fouls -- suddenly appears.

Four games in, though, Pistons center Ben Wallace has yet to feel any animosity toward the Milwaukee Bucks.

Bucks Corner: Crosshairs don't faze Bucks
    "It's kind of the story of the season," backup guard Charlie Bell said. "Have a great game and not being able to build on it."

13. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Bucks Diary]

Bobby Simmons steals money
    Just out of curiosity I looked up the salary information for the Detroit Pistons and the Milwaukee Bucks. Half surprisingly, I found out the Bucks have a slightly higher payroll than the Pistons. What a bargain those Bucks were. For roughly one million dollars more, they delivered 22 less wins than the Pistons. The Senator must have fun writing some of those payroll checks. No wonder no one will buy the team.

Pistons free throw paradox
    Three things are making the difference for the Pistons in this series: deadly jump shooting, terrific interior defense, and by far the largest free throw disparity in the 2006 NBA playoffs.

14. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[USA Today]
    David Dupree Chat Transcript
    Jim, Rochester: Ben Wallace has been struggling alot against Milwaukee. Is his wrist bothering him? Do you think the Pistons can still win with a couple of their All-Stars banged up?

David DuPree: He is banged up, but all teams have those kinds of injuries now. That's why it's so important to get a series over as soon as possible. Look at Dallas. They have more time to heal their bumps and bruises now. The Pistons can still win, but I'm still sticking with the Spurs. That's not a slight against the Pistons, I just think San Antonio is better, and maybe Dallas as well. And for the third time, if I'm wrong, I can live with it.

[Pistons fans are coming out in force to call DuPree a hater for picking the Spurs. Kind of funny.]

15. roscoe36

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Amir Johnson can jump

It'll be a surprise if Amir Johnson is active for a single game in the playoffs, let alone plays a meaningful minute, but that doesn't mean that he's not making the news. Joanne Gerstner from the Detroit News reports:
    For Pistons rookie Amir Johnson , it was no big deal. But it was a different story [...]

They got their game in

Said Rasheed Wallace to the Associated Press, "Like I said before, today [Monday] was the last game in this building for this year. I told you all that before: They got their game in."

Just hanging out at the Buck pole

Game 5 is moments from tip-off! Feel free to make your in-game comments here — hopefully a combination of some Pistons banter and ESPN's GameCast will help out those unlucky fans stuck by a computer without any access to a TV.

[Need4Sheed]

Ball Don't Lie Bogut

Everyone knows Sheed's "Ball Don't Lie" catch phrase, but each time he says it, it comes out with a little more flair than the last time. You know your saying is getting big when your own coach adopts it. Click here to see Flip in action.

[Booth Newspapers]

Pistons count on experience to win close-out games
    Next game: Tonight vs. Milwaukee, 6 p.m. TNT and Channel 20
    By A. Sherrod Blakely

AUBURN HILLS -- The Detroit Pistons can be a greedy bunch at times, often gobbling up wins like a school of piranhas trapped in an all-you-can-eat meat market.

Pistons 122, Bucks 93
    By LARRY LAGE
    The Associated Press

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) — Richard Hamilton played like he desperately wanted a break.

The guard with the face mask had a playoff-career high 40 points Wednesday night and the Detroit Pistons tied a franchise postseason scoring record in the first quarter in a 122-93 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks in Game 5.

Rasheed Wallace scored 22 points and keyed an 18-2 run after halftime for the two-time defending Eastern Conference champions, who won the best-of-seven series and advanced to the second round of the playoffs.

[The Oakland Press]

Foul trouble is keeping 'Big Ben' fresh
    By DAVID BIRKETT

AUBURN HILLS - It's a week and a half into the playoffs, the Pistons are on the verge of closing out their first-round series with the Bucks, and Ben Wallace feels as fresh as a bed of roses. What gives?

"I only played two games," Wallace said.

Actually, Wallace has played four, but it doesn't seem like it, considering foul trouble limited him to 56 minutes in games 3 and 4 combined.

Wallace played just 27 minutes Monday, and not at all in the fourth quarter, when the Pistons pulled away for a 109-99 win. He played 29 minutes in Game 3. In both games, he picked up two fouls early in the first half and finished with one point overall.

Pistons look to move on
    By DANA GAURUDER

AUBURN HILLS - The Pistons can reap numerous benefits by finishing off the Milwaukee Bucks in Game 5 tonight.

They can give themselves at least three days off to prepare for the Eastern Conference playoff semifinals. They can give Richard Hamilton's sore ankle and thigh some extra rest. They can decrease the chances of Rasheed Wallace receiving another technical. And they can avoid another trip to Milwaukee, where the sun apparently never shines.

16. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[NBA.com]

Hamilton Sends Pistons to Conference Semis
    AUBURN HILLS, Mich., May 3 (Ticker) -- Richard Hamilton delivered an early knockout blow to the Milwaukee Bucks.

Hamilton scored a playoff career-high 40 points as the Detroit Pistons coasted to a 122-93 rout of the Bucks to close out their Eastern Conference first-round series in five games.

Postgame Quotes
    Rip Hamilton: “Before the game Arnie (Kander) told me ‘Rip, I’m not going to tie you up as tight’. We went with no patch on my thigh. My ankle, we kind of taped it just like a normal tape job. He said he didn’t really want to have me restrained. He wanted me to just go out there and play and don’t worry about it and just have confidence in it. I think that really gave me a whole lot of confidence for me to go out there and make plays and make moves and do stuff that I was usually doing.”

Terry Stotts: “They’re the best team in the league during the regular season. Like Flip said earlier in the season, they weren’t playing against us, they were playing against themselves. I think from a basketball standpoint, they have everything you need to win a championship. Obviously they’ve been in the Finals two years in a row. Defensively, they create a lot of problems. Offensively, they have a lot of weapons.”

[CBS Sportsline]

Series: Pistons vs. Bucks
    Detroit's first step toward its goal of regaining the NBA title went smoothly, as they looked sharp in all four victories and learned it wasn't invincible in a humbling 20-point defeat. Rip Hamilton's ankle and thigh were the lone health concerns, but he looked pretty loose dropping 40 on the Bucks to close out the series.

[SI.com]

KELLY DWYER: Stotts did little to advance Bucks' cause
    Clearly, the Pistons have proved that they're prone to defensive lapses, but -- in terms of potential, at least -- Detroit is still second only to San Antonio when it comes to shutting down the opponent's offense.

Milwaukee also didn't teach us anything in its loss, which is much more distressing. We were hoping the Bucks would find some sort of defensive spark or offensive flow. Instead, coach Terry Stotts' crew cemented its reputation as a bunch that has a lot to figure out -- from the front office on down.

Wednesday game report
    PLAYER OF THE GAME: Rip Hamilton got on a roll early, scoring 15 of his 40 points in the first quarter. He joined Kelly Tripucka, Dave Bing, Isiah Thomas and Chauncey Billups as the only Pistons players to score 40 or more points in a playoff game.

PLAY OF THE GAME: A three-point basket by Rasheed Wallace with 6:19 left in the first quarter gave Detroit a 15-14 lead and ignited the Pistons' 24-4 lead.

Back to the drawing board
    "I'm not in a GM position, but obviously we have to build on what we did this year," Redd said. "We improved from last year to this year, by 10 wins and getting back to the playoffs.

"We ran into a buzz saw in the Pistons. I'm sure management will re-evaluate this summer."

[Bucks Diary]

Live Blog: Third Quarter, Game 5
    Turn out the lights, the party's over la la la la.... The Bucks have obviously raised the white flag, they're out there just dickin' around, lolligagging... I knew Hamilton was going to break out, damn it, I should have got it on the record... This thing is pathetic... Have you ever seen such a half effort?... Well, its good to see Hamilton get his game going because I'm pulling for the Pistons the rest of the way... Congrats, Detroit... I think I'm going to go to the Brewers-Astros game... I'll give my end of season recap late tonight... I'm out... Thanks everybody.

17. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Need4Sheed.com]

Bye Bye Bucks, Pistons Take the Series 4-1
    The Pistons now await the winner of the Cleveland - Wizards series, the Cavs leading 3-2 on a overtime buzzer beater by Lebron. Detroit now gets some much needed rest and will play no earlier than Sunday.

I have a couple of gems from the game. First off is Sheed making faces behind Reggie Miller while he does on court pre game commentary. Gotta Love SHEED! The second clip on the video is Tayshaun's little dance he did after he hits the half court shot.

[Fox Sports]

MIKE KAHN: Pistons take care of business at home
    Realistically, there was not much more that could have been expected from the Bucks, who barely slithered into the playoffs at 40-42. The Pistons needed them just to keep playing and get some focus as they move on. Short of horrible injuries, little else could have happened to the Pistons.

It's hard to fathom any of the teams in the East giving the Pistons a real run for their money, not with their experience and versatility. Perhaps the only issue they may have is complacency, and that will fall on the shoulders of Flip Saunders in his first year as Pistons coach.

18. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit News]

R.I.P., Bucks
    AUBURN HILLS -- The Bucks tried to punk the wrong guy.

Late in Game 4 on Monday night, Michael Redd, as his team was calling a timeout, ran at an unsuspecting Richard Hamilton and shoved him in the chest.

Pistons game report
    The dagger: As if the Bucks weren't demoralized enough, Tayshaun Prince stuck the dagger in deeper at the end of the first quarter and twisted it. Toni Kukoc 's jumper with 1.7 seconds left made it 36-23, but the Pistons weren't through scoring.

Chauncey Billups flipped the ball ahead to Prince, who caught it two steps in front of the timeline. Prince launched a 49-footer that went in -- a three-pointer for a 39-23 lead.

BOB WOJNOWSKI: Good news: Hamilton's hot
    The series began with Hamilton wincing and hopping, and some wondering why Flip Saunders wouldn't sit him.

It ended with Hamilton smiling and popping, and Saunders vindicated.

ROB PARKER: They brushed off Bucks, but Pistons can still raise game
    As well as the Pistons played in the series, they can play better. That's the scary part. You don't want your team to peak too early in the postseason. You want it to improve during the two months.

Pistons Notebook:
    Coach Flip Saunders took a little jab at the networks, as well.

"I think the way we play is ideal for playoff basketball, but maybe it's not the ideal team to put on network television," he said. "It's funny, we've changed the rules the last couple of years to get a game that's more team-oriented, a game where you pass the ball and share the ball, where people aren't standing around watching one guy. We are a team that does that and we always seem to be on the (networks') JV schedule."

Said Rasheed Wallace : "I don't care about that. We ain't got no poster boys, no high fliers like that. I wasn't expecting to be on TV tonight."

Mike O'Hara grades the Pistons
    Guards: A
    The raw numbers are one-sided: 40 points for Rip Hamilton, 17 for Chauncey Billups, and they outscored Bucks starters Michael Redd and T.J. Ford 57-33. Rip and Chauncey combined to go 5-for-5 on three-pointers, 18-28 from the field and 16-17 from the foul line.

Prince hits Bucks where it hurts most
    AUBURN HILLS -- There's a simple barometer to gauge how well the Pistons are doing in a playoff game. Watch Tayshaun Prince.

Pistons rock!
    While all sports have tried to broaden interest by fans through game-related entertainment, the NBA has turned its games, especially the playoffs, into one of the greatest shows in an athletic arena.

The Pistons put on a veritable Busby Berkeley-style production replete with dancing girls and dancing smoke, knee-buckling explosions and stuttering announcers.

[Detroit Free Press]

Venison sausage
    Like Joe Louis knocking out Max Schmeling, or Aretha Franklin bringing down the house with a throaty wail, the way the Pistons win closeout games has become a part of Detroit lore.

The Pistons never let the Milwaukee Bucks find their rhythm Wednesday night in Game 5 of their first-round NBA playoff series. They never let their scorching shooters find their timing. They never let their runners see open floor. And they never let the Bucks' final hope find reality.

Pistons Corner: Looser bandages let Hamilton rip
    "Arnie told me, 'Rip, I'm not going to tie you up as tight,' " Hamilton said. "We went with no patch on my thigh. My ankle, we kind of taped it just like a normal tape job. He said he didn't want to have me restrained. He wanted me to go out there and play and not worry about it and just have confidence in it."

MITCH ALBOM: This time the best team actually won
    This is why basketball isn't hockey. Because the No. 1 seed really is better than the No. 8 seed. Because while major upsets are possible, they are not expected. Because the game doesn't hinge on one suddenly hot goalie, but on a team that puts it together as a team -- and puts the lesser team away.

DREW SHARP: Rip's outburst makes the Pistons even scarier
    The Pistons don't need one guy beating you, and they would prefer that such responsibilities never fall upon a single individual. But they unleashed another dimension in their Game 5 clincher Wednesday -- the lone unstoppable force.

"It might turn a few heads if people see somebody on our team scoring 40," said Lindsey Hunter. "That's not what we're usually about. But he did it all within the flow of our offense, which feeds off our defense. It makes it fun, doesn't it?"

Delk is riveted by compelling playoffs
    "I've been watching all the games," Delk said. "I don't think there's one particular series that stands out. You don't know who you might play. We have to take care of tonight's game, then worry about watching tomorrow or whenever for the next team we have to play."

19. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[NBA.com]

NBA Finals: Pistons lose in 7 games
    [Okay, so it was the Fort Wayne Pistons and the 1955 Finals. But NBA.com has added some pretty cool stuff under their "Encyclopedia" home page tab, and you should check it out. Player fights! Fan fights! Colorful coaches! Referee screw jobs! And the Pistons done in by a bowling tournament!]

20. roscoe36

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Jerky for everyone! Pistons hunt down Bucks

Detroit's complete domination in Game 5 was one of the most predictable events in recent memory. No offense to the Bucks, who were quite competitive in Games 3 and 4, but the Pistons don't believe in second chances when a series is on the line: Wednesday's win marked the 11th time in 12 opportunities that [...]

[The Oakland Press]

Let 'er Rip!
    Hamilton puts hurt on Bucks in easy clincher
    by DANA GAURUDER

AUBURN HILLS - His left ankle rested in a tub of ice water. His right thigh was tightly wrapped in a bandage. Richard Hamilton's body throbbed Monday night and his spirit was only slightly less wounded. "I'm beat up," he said then in the visitors' locker room at Milwaukee's Bradley Center. "I'm just trying to fight through it." Some 48 hours later, the words battered, bruised and defeated could once be associated with Hamilton. The difference was that Hamilton transferred the pain to Milwaukee. Pummeling the eighthseeded Bucks with a playoff-career high 40 points by the end of the third quarter, a re-energized Hamilton carried the Pistons to the Eastern Conference playoff semifinals. With their top offensive threat back in top form, the Pistons pounded the defenseless Bucks, 122-93, and knocked them out the playoffs.

Pistons don't care who they play
    by DANA GAURUDER

AUBURN HILLS - The Pistons don't care which team they play in the Eastern Conference semifi nals. They just want their opponent to be worn out by the time the second round begins.

They will play either Cleveland or Washington in the semis. That series will last at least six games, with Game 6 scheduled for Friday and a possible Game 7 on Sunday.

"They both have great scorers in LeBron (James) and Gilbert Arenas," Richard Hamilton said. "To us, we just want to sit back and let them beat each other up. It doesn't really matter who we play, just let them beat each other up."

[Booth Newspapers]

Pistons Playoff Primer
    PISTONS PLAYOFF PRIMER

Highlights of the Detroit Pistons' 122-93 NBA playoff victory against the Milwaukee Bucks on Wednesday night:

Key play: With less than a second to play in the second quarter, Tayshaun Prince nailed a 3-pointer from beyond halfcourt. It was one of the first of many big shots made by the Pistons.

Rasheed Wallace again shows why teams struggle to defend him
    by A. Sherrod Blakely

AUBURN HILLS -- The Detroit Pistons had plenty of mismatches to exploit during their first-round playoff series with the Milwaukee Bucks.

However, there was one player, Rasheed Wallace, who seemed to present the greatest challenges for the Bucks throughout the series.

And Wallace, true to form, had another strong performance in Detroit's 122-93 series-clinching win.

Hamilton just keeps on shooting
    by Bill Khan

AUBURN HILLS -- The shots weren't falling, but neither was Richard Hamilton's confidence.

His mindset remains the same, regardless of his shooting statistics. After all, he's been filling up NBA nets for too long to let a few shaky games get to him.

Hamilton's belief in his ability was rewarded handsomely Wednesday night, as he scored all of his career-high 40 points in the first three quarters of the Detroit Pistons' 122-93 rout of the Milwaukee Bucks at The Palace.

Pistons show the Bucks they're tough to beat, advance in playoffs
    by A. Sherrod Blakely

AUBURN HILLS -- When the Detroit Pistons play well offensively, they can make life miserable for their opponents. When they crank up the defense, they become downright unbearable.

The Milwaukee Bucks felt the brunt of both on Wednesday, as Detroit put together its most complete performance of the postseason in a 122-93 pummeling of the Bucks that closed out their first-round playoff series. The 122 points were the most by a Pistons team in the playoffs since they scored 145 against Boston on May 24, 1987.

"We knew what we had to do," said Rasheed Wallace, who had 22 points, seven rebounds and four assists. "We just went out there and did it."

[Pistons.com]

Detroit Pistons Second Round Playoff Tickets On Sale Friday

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. --- The Detroit Pistons announce that tickets for Games One and Two of Round Two of the 2006 NBA Playoffs, including 500, $14 tickets for each game, will go on sale Friday, May 5, at Noon. The Pistons will use a random numbering procedure to select the first person in line from those on-site, beginning at 11:30 a.m.

[Midland Daily News]

Pistons get 'swept' away in Game 4
    by Dan Chalk

Don't worry, Pistons' fans. Your team has not left the television screen.

WNEM-TV5 was able to show Games 2 and 3 of the Detroit Pistons' first-round series with the Milwaukee Bucks, but sweeps month prevented the station from airing a third game on its regular channel. The game was aired, however, on WNEM-HD.

"WNEM is the hero in all this. WNEM took three of our games," said Pistons' senior vice-president of broadcasting Pete Skorich.

[The Flint Journal]

An early (and relaxing) summer begins for Bell
    by Bill Khan

AUBURN HILLS - Charlie Bell had been one of the Milwaukee Bucks' most reliable scorers in the first four games of the playoffs against the Detroit Pistons.

Why, then, was he sitting at the end of the Bucks' bench in warmups until midway through the third quarter? Bell was wondering the same thing.

"I really don't know what happened," the former Southwestern Academy and Michigan State standout said. "I think the coach was trying to go with the starters a little more, go with Michael (Redd) a little more and try to get this game. We're playing to win. I just had to be ready for whenever he called my name."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.