McCosky: Wade Doesn't Need the Help

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Dec 3, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

McCosky: Wade Doesn't Need the Help

2. detteam

detteam All-Star

Something interesting to ponder is how Wade would have, most likely, been treated differently by the league had Detroit drafted him. I really don't think he would have had his golden boy status as a Piston. No one can deny the guy's talent. As a Piston, I think he would have followed more along Jordan's path to respect & superstardom...and wouldn't have been granted Stern's free pass.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

Not much new here, but it is nice to see it out there in print. I really like the quotes from the players. Must be hard prepping for a Miami game knowing there's almost nothing you can do to keep Wade on his feet.
  4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In an odd way, it's Wade and the league that get hurt the most by the favoritism. Bottom line - Wade is a one dimensional player - without a reliable jump shot. Jordan wasn't the greatest jump shooter in the early years either, but Jordan soon figured out that defenses would collapse to the middle and dare him to make a jumpshot. Add that to the beating he took going to the hole and Mikey figured out pretty quickly that he needed to add another dimension to his game. Once the fade-away jumper and the three started to fall, championships began to pile up.

Wade is being encouraged to remain a one dimensional player. He has no need to spend countless hours in the gym shooting jumper after jumper. He could and should become a better player, but with the current climate, where is the motivation?

True superstars bring in the casual fans by the millions, drive up attendance, and drive up TV ratings. The league truly needs another Jordan or Magic or Bird, but doesn't seem to realize that superstar honorifics are earned and not bestowed.
  5. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I agree with most of the criticisms voiced in that article and in this thread, but I wouldn't say that Wade is one-dimensional. He was hitting all kinds of jumpers in the playoffs last year.
  6. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I think his jump shot is better than what you're giving him credit for. I went to the Detroit/Miami game in Miami last year where Wade took over in the last 5 mins. His jumpshot was unstoppable. He can hurt you both ways (inside and out) otherwise his opponents would just camp in the paint and wait for him. Are you basing his inability to hit a jumpshot from the low amount of 3's he launches?
  7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No doubt he manages all kinds of circus jumpers. It seems particularly when playing the Pistons.

He is a bad three point shooter - though without looking at the numbers I would think otherwise since he never seemed to miss a key one in the conference finals last year.

Otherwise I'm guessing a bit - he shoots around 45-46% overall with a very high mix of very high percentage shots, and given that he seems to get fouled every time he misses a driving layout, his close in shooting percentage must be at least 75%.

Regardless of whether I'm stretching or not, I think the point is still true - as long as he is getting bailed out over and over again, he will not develop his total game as much as he could / should. And I don't think fans will fall for it.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yes and yes. You make two excellent points.

Today's player is different than the players of yesteryear. They make more off the court than they do on. Championships are less important than image, it's the ultimate victory of style over substance.

And yes, the fans are much more intelligent than the NBA thinks they are.
  9. max

max All-Star

That was a good article. Don't think he needed to put in the "its not his fault" because he milks it for all its worth. Almost to the point of being out right dishonest. Sometimes Wade does not even try to run a legit play, he just runs into the crowded paint and throws up the ball totally out of control. No player has ever taken advantage of star status like Wade does, most would not feel morally comfortable with it.

Wade is a good player and the league tackes on an extra 6-8 PPG for him.

I am glad some are not getting fooled by this. Its just not good basketball and its not what we pay to see. Especially when it gets to the championship level.

I am not a Wade fan. I could have been, even liked the guy out of college but now I am not.