McGrady Signs 1 Year Deal Per The DetNews

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by S.J., Aug 7, 2010.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Re: WHAT??? MCGRADY TO DETROIT?

At least something is cooking inthe pistons camp finally. Not the best news in the world unless Kander can get him in their and reinvent and rebuild him.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

The Bulls recently tried this guy out during the free agency period.
    If the Bulls said NO...then what are we doing. :frusty: :bs: :doh: :gaah: :rant:

Seems to me like two organizations going in two different directions.
  3. markie8002000

markie8002000 First Round Draft Pick

4. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

It's undoubtedly worth it for the veteran minimum - are they going to get anyone better at that price? This gives Dumars some leeway to trade Prince and/or Hamilton, and not to have to worry about whether Daye is ready to step up yet, because he's still young and unpredictable.

But between Wallace, McGrady, and potential lingering injuries from last year from Villanueva, Hamilton, Gordon, and Prince, Kander is going to have his work cut out for him.
  5. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Well his interest proves that Joe D would have this team pick mid-lotto for a couple of years rather than actually rebuild. I'm off the bandwagon officially. I'll spend this season hoping KG gets another ring or that the Miami experiment works. I can't support this. Even making the playoffs would be worthless, just an excuse for Joe to sit on the team again.

Disappointing. Unless there is a trade brewing and all our young players are future All Stars.
  6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Really? That seems like a bit of an extreme reaction to a potential VETERAN MINIMUM ONE YEAR signing.

I could understand if it was a long term max deal or something. Heck, I could even understand if it was a MLE signing. But to me, as surprised as I was initially by the news, it's an extremely low risk move that could free us up to potentially make some bigger & better moves.

Worst case scenario is that he completely sucks or gets injured. Big deal. He's making the veteran minimum for one year.

Best case scenario is that, after an additional offseason removed from his injury, he regains some of his old form and we've got an excellent scoring option off the bench. Think Grant Hill for the Suns.

I'm fine with the move - if it happens. I won't be going out and buying a Piston's T-Mac jersey anytime soon, but I'm fine with it. Especially if it leads to another move.
  7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Every now and then the boy makes a lot of sense ^ :nod::thumb:
  8. Brap

Brap Starter

If we trade Rip and/or Tay, preferably Rip AND Tay, then McGrady if healthy become a hell of a trade chip for a contender down the stretch. Heck - if we keep one of Tay or Rip, McGrady could be part of a trade of whichever of the two is left over, along with Maxiell, and we might be able to scoff up a really good asset.

At 1.2 million (or whatever) for 1 season, this is totally a no-risk move.
  9. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think the people who reacts is doing it because of the financial risk but more in terms of youth development because of possible limited minutes for the rooks. If this is a move to enable a Rip or/and Tay trade then I like it, if it is not then I'm a bit more sceptical.
  10. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

So he'll cost $1.3 million. That's almost a quarter of what Maxiell is going to make this year.
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think it is hysterical when people assume that signing McGrady must mean Joe has another move lined up for Rip and/or Tay. Snails and turtles make more moves that Joe.
  12. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Unless we have a deal in place, adding another swing makes no sense. Having interest in having another swingman makes no sense. Especially one who is essentially auditioning for his last long term contract...likely with another team.

What's the upside here? He's good then he leaves to go play a bigger/similar role on a better team? Don't see how that helps the team at all.

And by bandwagon I mean Joe D, not the team. It's no overreaction. I haven't seen him make a "good" move in years, and interest in T-Mac just makes me lose all hope. And looking at this roster, that's all I have.
  13. jammertime

I'd be against that as well - if it happened - but jayborne's reaction was way over the top, IMHO.

I don't know if a trade before the season starts is in the cards, but I have to believe that Joe has several scenarios in mind, based on the team's performance over the first 1/4 of the season.

I believe there are 4 different scenarios that would alter how Joe approaches transactions:

Pistons play well, T-Mac plays well

Pistons play well, T-Mac plays poorly/is injured

Pistons play poorly, T-Mac plays well

Pistons play poorly, T-Mac plays poorly/is injured
  14. jammertime

If we're good and he's good: we win games, we have extra depth at SG/SF which would allow us the option to trade for a big man

If we're good and he's not good/injured: we only spent the league minimum on him and we still win games

If we're bad and he's good: we spent the league minimum on a good player and could trade him to a contender at the deadline

If we're bad and he's bad: we spent the league minimum on a bad player
  15. jammertime

My follow up question to you is: What's the downside?

As far as I see it, the only downside would be if T-Mac stunk and we stunk as a team but STILL got the bulk of PT over our young guys.

That would be very unfortunate, no doubt. But that's only 1 potential downside to several potential upsides/minimal impacts. A worthwhile risk IMO.
  16. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

I'm in agreement here. The utes are not being served by adding aging veterans.
    Another year of neglecting the utes. Might as well bring Flip back. :)
  17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

The downside is taking playing time away from younger players and taking a roster spot when he plays a position that we have too many players already. The Bulls rejected him because he wanted to crack the starting lineup and they didn't think he could accept a 11th man role.
  18. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Bingo. Especially since the Bulls are a better team.

I just don't see what he adds to the team. Just trying to win games this season while sacrificing the development of the team doesn't make sense. If he doesn't add anything to the long term success of the team, then his addition seems unnecessary. Let's say this team somehow manages to sneak into the playoffs with this roster and lose in the first round. The next off-season we still have the same problems we have now. Unless Joe's goal is mediocrity. Then it's a stunning success.
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You think Joe wants to add McGrady to an already over-loaded roster without moving anyone?
  20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Man I hate the Utes.

[​IMG]