McGrady Signs 1 Year Deal Per The DetNews

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by S.J., Aug 7, 2010.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

sevens

some of ya'll kill me.

first off i've never been a huge t-mac fan.
    second- you can't argue with his lifetime stats whether you're a fan or foe - reality bites.
    third - he's only 31 - not 56.
    fourth - in kander we probably have the #1 guy in the league at understanding and remedying players with knee problems.
    fifth - who's kidding who about the talent level of the young guns?
    which of them will draw double teams freeing up others?
    sixth - we're talking no money - no money - no money.
    seventh - it's a no-brainer
  2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Re: sevens

You're a good person.
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Re: WHAT??? MCGRADY TO DETROIT?

Don't get excited people. This isn't a basketball move. This is just a move that attempts to make the team more attractive to buyers. We now have a team with an All-Star that sells tickets/jerseys. Mrs. Davidson just spent $1.3M on a decorative piece that will probably raise the price of the team by many times its cost. Nothing more.
  4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe it's just that I don't find him that attractive.
  5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

yeah, even in this forum - AI trade meant huge overcrowded chats, many many inactive members showed life, etc. Stars sell. Even here, as empirical evidence showed very clearly.

whatever this team did in the past - empty seats NOW is all what matters for mrs davidson.
  6. foo55

foo55 Second Round Draft Pick

I think it's hysterical when people automatically assume that there ISN'T any possibility that another move is in the works. Ever contribute to the discussion rather than %%%%%, %%%%%, %%%%%?
  7. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

So who is the All Star?

I wonder if the team will even decide to make him an offer in the end. I do wish to see T-Mac's career ressurected, that's the only positive I'll be able to take out of this situation.
  8. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

I agree that this is an appeasement move, for both the ownership and us unruly fans. But it seems like it is a very easy set up for a basketball move, even if there isn't trade paperwork sitting on Joe's desk waiting for an owner's signature. The fact that we are making a splash could put us back on the radar, and teams who need wing help now might start trying to put deals together when before those same teams were convinced that we weren't doing anything.

Also, with a happy ownership group, who is glad that we have a seat filler/jersey seller, Joe can acquire less popular "grit 'n' toughness" players. In fact, he could even lay out his plans as soon as the T-Mac signing press conference, and I would expect as much.
  9. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Antonio McDyess.

Need underestimate Arnie Kander.
  10. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

"Pistons have not signed McGrady yet, but it is close and may get done tonight" - David Aldridge, via Twitter.

"Just for the record: I have a signed T-Mac autographed ball that I got 6 yrs ago. I'm a major fan of his game, and I know he still has game" - Charlie Villanueva, via Twitter.

I'm smoldering with intrigue, as if I had just backed into a blowtorch.
  11. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Well.. I just woke up today and read everything you guys wrote.

I'm agree that we have nothing to lose really, besides some minutes in the field from Daye.

It's true that McGrady will sell T-Shirts, maybe will sell some tickets, and maybe.. just MAYBE.. will go to the All-Star Game..

But a few people here said it.

IF the Bulls don't hire him even as a 12th man.. Does Joe Dumars think that he can resurrect McGrady? Is that his goal? or maybe he is trying to resurrect the team for buyers or for some fans who aren't really following the Pistons all the time like us?

I guess we will have to just wait and see what happens
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Smart Move. I doubt we're trading Rip for a big, there is no big to get. We're trading Rip for Capp Spayce and/or picks. If that is the case then that would leave us with Stuckey, Bynum, and Gordon (save me the Terrico White being the second coming BS, please) too small, not enough shooting. T-Mac makes perfect sense to pair up in the backcourt with Will Bynum on the 2nd unit for limited minutes, he still has a boatload of hoop skils in the shooting and passing department. Lastly he has something to prove, now whether he has anything left in those knees to prove it with is extrememly doubtful, but for $1.3M, what's it hurt to find out.

Oh, and if Daye can't beat out a hobbled 31 year old T-Mac for mins.........Heaven help us all.
  13. tads

McGrady is exactly the kind of player Daye should have to prove himself against in order to earn minutes. I don't know if Tracy is the kind of player that can really be a good mentor/role model, but if Daye can prove that he can create his own shot better than McGrady, and that he can hold McGrady down in practice, he is ready for big minutes against all but the most physical small forwards. Jerebko can also build a lot of confidence going against 31 year-old McGrady and build his perimeter defense skills.
  14. markie8002000

markie8002000 First Round Draft Pick

David Aldrige a basketball insider said this about McGrady on his twitter. He says Pistons have not signed McGrady yet, but it is close and may get done tonight.

http://twitter.com/daldridgetnt
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Preview:

[​IMG]
  16. markie8002000

markie8002000 First Round Draft Pick

I think thats from earlier but he says Pistons are discussing pros and cons internally...
  17. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

18. tads

Here is an interesting quote from that article about Tay, that can probably be applied to Rip.

This confirms my speculation that Joe D is keeping veterans around out of respect.
  19. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Please no...
  20. G-man

G-man Starter

R.E.S.P.E.C.T

if he keeps prince "around" until mid-february it's to maximize his and the teams return.
    teams either on the edge of play-offs or entering the play-offs with a weakness are the likeliest candidates to 'over-pay' for solid veteran services at the trade deadline.

thats not a weakness it's a strength.

as an aside - when did "veteran respect" become a duo of dirty words?
    Prince does deserve respect.. as do most players who have lasted nearly a decade in the NBA.. the guy was the nba's ironman up until last season and no slurs carelessly pecked out on a "fairweather fans" keyboard will change that historical fact.

check yourself..