1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

McGrady Signs 1 Year Deal Per The DetNews

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by S.J., Aug 7, 2010.

1. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Re: R.E.S.P.E.C.T

And don't think players don't notice that loyalty, too. When you treat your players like human beings worthy of respect and being rewarded for their work, free agents are more likely to sign with you. Make no mistake here - Dumars is the biggest reason free agents will look at Detroit, and its because of the way he treats his players. Some might say they are coddled, but this is a player's league, and they're the breadwinners. He simply knows that better than many other GMs.

2. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, that's why the team got big time FA's like BenGo and CharlyV. Honestly, I think the best FA's out there are in it to win it and/or cash but not for respect. That's why you can't attract the big timers like that but the role players, especially if your team is located at a place like Detroit that doesn't seem very desirable (from what I've read in this forum).
    Too bad Stern's rule changing ruined the way of playing that allowed hard nosed, superstar-less teams to win.

3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Re: WHAT??? MCGRADY TO DETROIT?

I really hope that this doesn't happen.

To me, it makes sense to add T-Mac for basically free. Yes he could turn things around and become a valuable asset. Yes, it makes sense to add a two-time scoring champ for the vet minimum who has a chance to rejuvenate his health and level of play with Arnie Kandor.

...Thing is, I harbor an extremely severe dislike for Tracy McGrady.

I have a hard time getting around that.

4. markie8002000

markie8002000 First Round Draft Pick

5. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

A supposed strength. Fans of teams in the same position echo this same thing every year, yet only a few good deals such as this go down at the deadline that are truly beneficial to the trading team. Especially when we are talking expiring contract. At this point we're bordering on making excuses for him. Most would probably love to keep Tay around if we didn't draft young guys who essentially play the same position.

Personally I can't remember the last time a team "overpaid" at the deadline.

It helps us get past their prime veterans maybe, but not young talent. I'm sure Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva came here because of the respect we showed them. All 94 million dollars of it.

6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Personal attacks don't contribute anything to the discussion. Also, please don't test the curse filter. It doesn't like it. :)

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, it seems like he must have something in mind. Problem with Joe's plans the last few years are like...

:granade: :granade: :granade: :granade: :granade:

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps foo55 just likes to play the percentages (%%%%%)....

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

You're a good person. Much gooder than Coyne Jeremy.

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

At this point it wouldn't surprise me. We talk about un-balanced rosters, but Joe seems to like what he sees.

I think it is safe to assume that he wanted (longed for really) Ben and Rip on the team together. I think it is also safe to say that he thinks he has a top 3-4 SF in the L in Tay.

It will take a few more years to figure out if drafting the 3 guys who all play the same position was a fluke or plan.

To sit and act like this is the prelude to some massive roster reconfiguration seems faulty to me.

11. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

I totally agree Sterm's league is different nowadays its all about the NBA darlings going to the free throw line by the defenders looking at them drive the hoop..gone were the days wherein hard nose D or better known as pistons basketball allowed!!!

12. Brap

Brap Starter

That's one of the main reasons the Heat and their conspiracy-ettes will be so hard to beat. Wade and James are two of the top 3 or 4 guys in the league, perhaps the very top two, who get super duper deference from the refs. It's pretty disgusting that LeBron gets calls when he just absolutely runs over an opponent at top speed. And Wade is just not allowed to be touched.

They are both superior talents, but the fact that they get the benefit of every call makes it all pretty disgusting to play against them.

Will the refs start to call it more fairly now that these two jerks are on the same team?

13. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

But that's the point, isn't it? First tier stars like Kobe, Lebron, Wade etc don't care about stuff like Joe's treatment of players, but they don't really need to. Wherever they go, there'll be someone waiting and willing to lay down the red carpet for them. They don't need anybody to watch their back. They get max contracts and they don't give a crap about anybody.

Every other player considers many other things besides money. And Joe's treatment of players does get noticed by other players (at least those that aren't too distracted to notice anything from the sound of how awesome they are).

14. Walter

I think so. I'm pretty sure that both Lebron and Wade will get about the same number of FTAs every game.

15. Brap

Brap Starter

LMAO. Ok, that was brilliant.

16. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

walter you got it, I guess both of them would average 30 FT attempts per game hahahaha thats includes Cbosh as well..

17. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

Lebron, Wade and Bosh are #3, #4, and #7 in the league in total Free Throw Attempts in 2010.

18. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

The commissioner will become very stern with any ref who continues to make life easy for those big 3 in Miami. Expect to see their FTs cut in half.

19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Which is why those games will be long and 30% of the Heat's points will come from the FT line....Riles was no dummy when he was assembling his stars...there will be instances where these guys will get more FTA than FGA...and the difference in many of their victories will be at the free throw line.

20. Walter

The FTA is an intersting stat. Never realized Maggette was so good at getting to the line.

If you look at average FTAs (per game), LBJ is #2, Wade is #4, Bosh is #6. They'll probably average less since only the one with the ball can be fouled. Normally you'd expect them to average 60% fewer FTA per game each now that they're on the same team.

Rip is #29 with 5.2 per game (shooting at 84.6%) and Stuckey is at #35 with 4.9 per game (shooting at 83.3%). The only two Pistons that are in the top 50.