McGrady Signs 1 Year Deal Per The DetNews

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by S.J., Aug 7, 2010.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    T-Mac is only 31 and we have Kander.
    There is no risk as salary is low and the team didn't give up anything. If he starts pouting, just cut him, not a big loss.
    Also with him on the team, it is easier to let go of Rip or Tay (if Joe chooses so)

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    The Raiders were very good at this.

3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

If we were a contender I would be all for this move because this would mean just added insurance and a vet that can score. However, this team is rebuilding. We need to make way for the young guy's and should be aquiring as much young talent as possible like the Portland Trailblazers have done. Once you have the young cheap talent then you can trade to fill whatever holes you have on your team. Adding Ben Wallace, Tmac, and the Chucky Atkins of the world does nothing for the long term heath of the team.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Kander has even tricked Joe D.

5. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Obviously we get a lot of talent for a cheap rate. The on the court downside is next to nil. Yet, no other team wanted him? No other rebuilding, cusp, or contender? That has to mean something right?

6. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

IF Daye can't prove all the Detroit Pistons staff that he can beat THIS McGrady in practice and in the games, he doesn't deserve any playing time.

It's a great move.. I'm excited, not for McGrady because I kind of hate him (well.. I don't HATE him but I never liked him.. He is/was another Allen Iverson for me)

But this will make Daye, Ben Gordon, even Jerebko and maybe Summers to be a little bit of afraid, this move is like Joe Dumars is telling them something like this:

"Well, if you can't improve, if you can't beat your others in practice, if you don't give all to this team to make us (the staff) know that you love this game and you will do everything to win a spot in this team, then we don't need you"

That is the kind of adversity that our young players must face this next months.

Maybe Joe Dumars is rejecting every offer of a trade that includes Jerebko or Daye, because he have faith in this young ones.. but Joe wants to make sure that they can improve and WANT TO.

7. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

According to the folks that saw the Bulls workout he can't really move all that well...but for minimum who needs him to move?

8. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

I agree, if it were a multi year deal, I would be up in arms about it, but this is low risk, and who knows, maybe T-Mac will find some form with us.

9. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Re: WHAT??? MCGRADY TO DETROIT?

Tracy McGrady is no Allen Iverson.

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Would you like him if he got his hair corn rolled??:)

11. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Bill,Bill,Bill...there is no log jam. The team and ownership is in flux. With the addition of T_Mac you are deep and covered.

Movement will be a sorting out. This can be up or down.

Q will have a silent prayer on how he sorts this all out, but sort he must. The key for his decisional process is the style and pace of play. The focus in play will be, in all likelihood, centered on two starting and two bench players. Offense should be a lesser problem; but still, I don't relish the losses in the area of: 110_101. On defense, Q needs to be his best about creativity. Yea, the most creative aspect in the NBA game is finding the long-emergency called the other side-of-the-moon; those deep craters named after defense. Hey Q, here is a hint: go zone. This of course will drive Stern nuts, as well as, those that have created the Detroit myth apparatus, called grit (complete with 60 pound chrome bumpers and front windshield glass that doesn't crack from spit). Please excuse me, Mr. D.

The Vets are now categorized and segmented into playing time slots. No one is getting 30 minute because of this sorting out...sorta like an inch deep and a mile wide. It is what it is! I think this is very interesting team and they will make the playoffs. I ask nothing more.

And Bill...try to help me out. T-Mac is a three (3)! If you can't get this straight, how am I going to continue to believe in you?

12. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

No no it's not his hairstyle or his looks in general. Some people have star quality and some people don't. Tracy McGrady has a sensitive, gentle energy about him that is distinctly non alpha male. Allen Iverson is a little guy that rocks the star quality when he breathes. It's an intangible thing. My point has nothing to do with their relative basketball skills or comparing careers. It does have to do with buzz, putting people in seats, jersey sales and the ability to draw interest based simply on the essence of who they are. A.I. is a rock star. Even with all his baggage.

13. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

as we in Estonia say: better McGrady in my hand than Allan Iverson on the rooftop.

14. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

:pound:well good point, but...still...:)

15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

DBB's take

What Can We Expect from T-Mac? - Detroit Bad Boys

Some excerpts:

Ouch!

16. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

A.I. is the epic rock star fail. Sorry Aurora.

Tracy McGrady is worse, of course. But T-Mac is also a "rock star" like you said.. just remember he almost make de All-Star game last year.. (If my memory doesn't fail..) beating STEVE NASH and without PLAYING most of the games until february!..

BIG.. HUGE.. VERY IMPORTANT Question here..

What Number will Tracy McGrady use?

I say NO to T-Mac wearing Billups' #1 Jersey.

17. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Re: DBB's take

Honestly, I'm trying to think of a worse fit for T-Mac. Is there another team out there that is as bad as us while having so many players that play his position(s)?

18. max

max All-Star

Guys. If You do not over think this its a good move. Basically a gamble on if he still has it or not. What if he does? Can you imagine that? I know its a shot in the dark but what if..

I know it will impact Daye or some other young guys playing time. If Daye or anyone else is showing something then they will play, rosters will be adjusted and what not.

19. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Has what? What type of season would he have to have for him to "Have it"? Even if he returns to his form of 3 years ago when he averaged 21/5/6, do you think there are enough shots to go around with Stuckey, Bynum, Rip, Gordon, Prince, Charlie V, and now T-Mac? Last year we constantly had guys out, and BG still had trouble getting into a flow while trying to play off the Rip-off-screens game. The only way I could see T-Mac having a remotely successful season would be if Rip and Prince are both traded while getting no wings in return. At that point, there may be enough shots for him to show whether or not he "has it". As it is, they are just going to cannibalize each other into mediocre seasons.

Daye won't get on the court enough for him to show something. Jerebko is going to take a step back from his rookie season. These guys both showed some things in their rookie years (and Daye during the SL). Now is when Joe should be working on getting them on the floor, not keeping them tied to the pine.

Plus, if Rip, Gordon, CV, and Prince are healthy this year along with the addition of the shot-happy McGrady, Monroe will be getting zero post-touches (even if he manages to find minutes), and we all saw the difference in his game when he's involved and when he is not at the Summer League.

I know people will come with the "Let the young guys earn their minutes" line, but this is a myth (especially with a team as bad as this one). In reality, you give these guys some leash, and see what they do with it. Teams as bad as the Pistons can't just keep holding these guys back saying they're "not ready".

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The arrival of T-Mac is going to make room for the kids. Just maybe not right away.