McHale Rant about Flip's team

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by basketbills, Dec 13, 2005.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

This is a quote from Kevin McHale during Flip's days as a T-Wolf.

"The idea that somebody can't play defense is the biggest crock of crap I have ever heard in my life. I will not accept it from anybody. Defense is all about commitment and desire and discipline and that's what we've got to have," he began. "Guys lived in the paint against us last year. They had too much penetration and it collapsed our defense. The key is keeping the guy in front of you and containing the perimeter. Inside of 12 feet [from the basket], a team's shooting percentage is very high; outside of that, it is not. The only two ways to get the ball in the paint are to pound it in off the pass or dribble it in. We were pretty good about denying the pass, but we were very poor off the dribble. When people go to the basket, our big guys either have to block the shot or knock them down. It can't be a freeway or a lay-up fest. Sometimes last year I thought that we were the little flag girls on the side of the road. "How committed are you to this?" McHale asked, as if the assembled throng were Wolves players rather than reporters and photographers. "When you don't do it, you need to sit on the bench."

http://www.citypages.com/databank/24/1194/article11588.asp

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Boy, that sure rings true. Good find.

I really want to know if it's a flaw in the scheme that Flip employs that has altered not just the "O" but the "D" and rebounding as well.

3. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Well, we know part of the rebounding puzzle (on our offensive glass) involves Flip's offensive schemes (one of the papers, I'll have to find the source, mentioned that his plays involve players often heading away from the basket as the shot goes up).

I wonder if part of the problem on the defensive glass is a function of the fact that we're getting out and running more this year. I haven't watched this closely this year, but if players are releasing down the floor (and these would usually be the perimeter players, CB, Rip, and Tay) as the shot goes up, it will open up offensive rebounding opportunities for the other club's perimeter guys, as well as leaving essentially only our two bigs to grab the board.

If that's the case, then you have to weigh whether the easy transition points are worth the offensive boards you'll give up. The last couple of years part of the reason we have dominated the glass is that we weren't out and running, which meant all five guys stayed home.

As far as perimeter defense goes, it sounded to me like McHale was on the players' case for that, not Flip's (I could be wrong). He seemed to suggest from that quote that it was the players' responsibility to stay in front of their guy.

4. max

max All-Star

Flips Schemes

I don't think its any flaw in Flips strategy that is the issue. Rebounding is an effort thing. Players do not have a coach yelling at them anymore if they miss a board. Many times when the opponent grabs an offensive board there are 3 Pistons standing around watching it happen. They are in position just not putting in the effort to grab it.

FLip could challenge the players more. That is one thing I can agree with. Flip is not the kind of coach to beat players over the head to do things a certain way. He lets Billups setup the plays and lets the defense continue to work man to man. Adjusting to your teams talents is a good thing but he could stand to challenge the players more when they get outworked by the opponent.

To me overall it seems like Flip is adjusting to the Pistons more than they are to him. Flip is the biggest Zone D fan in the NBA yet how often do the Pistons play zone? Minni's offense went through the PF KG and now Billups works as more of a true point.

The main stat I look at is offensive rebounding. Defensive can be deceiving if you have a team like the Pistons that put up more shots due to a better TO ratio. 2 out of the last 3 games Pistons have had a nice margin in Offensive rebounding so hopefully the trend will continue.

Trust the team more. If FLip was a total idiot Dumars would not have hired him and the players would not have embraced him.

5. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

Guard penetration has always been a poor spot in Detroit D, last year and the year before that. I haven't noticed any significant increase in that happening under Flip so I wouldn't worry about it.

6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

plus lindsey would help in that a lot, and he's out right now.

7. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What's up guys, been away for awhile, was able to catch a few games and began wondering, what happened to the D and Big Ben looking a little bewildered. I love the turnover to assist ratio and the increase in PPG but not at the expense of poor rebounding and lack of defense.

8. max

max All-Star

Lack of Defense?

I would not say lack of defense. Would not be 10-2 on the road if the defense was that bad. Faster paced game.

Pistons were slow starters in a lot of effort categories the past couple of seasons. Last year they did not start playing like a playoff team until February. At least the team is scoring more and winning games.