Media Day

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Sep 28, 2009.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Well it's finally here... Media day is today starting at 4:30 EST.
    I believe camp starts tomorrow.

There should be several fluff pieces coming out in the next couple days.

The Pistons site is having a live chat to cover the media blitz PISTONS: Pistons Live Game Center

2. dp21

dp21 First Round Draft Pick

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nice job DP. Welcome to PF.

4. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

anyone have pictures?

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bynum has lost all that weight? He's going to be one speedy dude if that is true and he's that motivated. X-factor! We may have 2 Vinnie Johnsons on the team.

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I love Rip's ugly haircut. I hope he keeps it.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is all great. But... we keep hearing that we'll be fine offensively and it is the defense that needs improvement. Sounds like these guys are in an offensive arms race! No defensive camps or defense focused training as far as we know. That fact about Bynum paying his own money to get into a camp with better players is great to hear though. He could be the most motivated player on the team. Given his financial situation, it makes sense that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for him.

No mention of Rip (didn't he get married this summer or something?).

Friendly competition along with the feeling of having someone clipping at your heels has been missing for the past several years. Now we have it big time. There is no Iverson type to ruin it.

Motivational summary:

PG- Stuckey has to realize that Bynum outplayed him for most of last year. Bynum has to realize that Ben Gordon will be taking backup PG minutes if he doesn't kick some serious butt.

SG- Rip's starting position is only secure b/c Ben Gordon has such a 6th man reputation. If it weren't for that, this would be one of the most fragile starting spots in the league. It is still fragile however in that Rip's playing time will surely decrease if he gets outplayed... even if he doesn't lose his starting spot.

SF- Tay finally has backups. If Daye and company can't break through, then it will be Rip Hamilton stealing Tay's minutes. It's not a lot of pressure though since Tay would probably prefer fewer minutes per game.

PF- Charlie V has a lot of job security here. Maxiell would have to really improve to threaten him.

C- Kwame should be petrified that he will lose his spot, but he doesn't seem like the type to rise to the occasion or use it as motivation. Wilcox and Ben Wallace have nothing to lose, but Ben seems like he's already planning out his retirement and is here for intangible reasons + a sure backup role. Wilcox's motivation level is unknown to me... hopefully he has some fire within.

10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Even though it's an offensive trait, I am really thrilled to hear that Stuckey's been practicing that jumper. It's good that he realizes the weakness that most of us has been complaining about all year and works on it.

As far as defense goes. Well, we're just gonna have to wait and see I guess. At the moment, my only hope is that these youngsters will fear Ben's wrath.

11. dp21

dp21 First Round Draft Pick

12. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Actually Walt, I kinda hope that he wasn't practicing that jumper. I hope he got with one of those old-school shooting coaches and developed some new mechanics and a new jumper

When Ben Wallace has a better looking 'J' than you do, it's time to get it looked at.

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'm disappointed that Stuckey didn't grow 6 inches over the summer as I had hoped so he could play C and clear the logjam (that doesn't exist) in the backcourt simultaneously.

14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

D is not something for individual practices. It is team effort + fear the fro aspect.

Ever heard of Kevin Garnett? With him C's are no1 D team in the league, w/o him they barely escaped from 7th seed team...

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I was thinking that too. If Stuckey takes his current form and shoots 1,000 times a day with it, then it will lock him into mediocrity.

He probably has a mechanics coach by his side and they just don't bother going into that great of detail for their article.

Whatever their methods may be, if Stuckey and Bynum each improve their jump shots, then I'm going to overjoyed. That is the only thing that makes their drives guardable... that the defense doesn't have to pay a ton of respect to their mid range J's. And even with their shooting from last year, they still got to the hole almost at will. It's just that Stuckey's finishing % was low because of the clogged paint.

16. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

LOL, yes, I hope so too. Let's pray that it was just bad verbiage on my part and not some 6th sense prediction.

17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I know Stuckey grew quite a bit this summer. Here is Rodney standing next to OJ Mayo, who is 6'4". To the naked eye, Stuckey appears to be 2-3 feet taller than Mayo.

[​IMG]

18. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Like a cross-over and going left?

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

He's standing on a table... that makes him only about 7' 8"

20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Wow, that makes him the best Piston prospect at C since Cheik Samb!