Memphis Dec 21 8PM

Discussion in 'December 2007' started by max, Dec 20, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Getting more rebounds per minute played is making an impact, especially when you consider Dyess is really are only other rebounder (Sheed and Maxey are very inconsistent on the boards), so we need a guy who can get over 10 rebounds a game, which AJ will once his minutes get up to 30 or so.

:hoops:
  2. Mrcina

Mrcina First Round Draft Pick

Walter Herrmann - Detroit Pistons - Split Statistics - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Look for march and april... one must be in love with Hayes, not to give WH a shot at least.
    JH behaves himself like a starter, jet he does everything worse...:)
  3. buddahfan

Actually I am not a big Hayes fan. But the situation is far more complicated and has been discussed over the years on the forum.

I wish Herrmann the best of luck, but I just don't think he will be around next year or even get many minutes this year.

4. buddahfan

We played very good defense in the second half especially in the last quarter. That shows that our second unit is serious about playing the right way, regardless of whom they are playing.

5. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

I thought this one would be a letdown game after the Boston win. But hey nice way for the Pistons to pull away in the 2nd half.

1. Afflalo was great. Defense. Penetration. Passing. Finishing. The kid is good and he is a keeper. Piston mold. Not flashy but really nice to watch.

2. Stuckey in his first game. Got his firsts - points, rebounds and assists. Most importantly he got time, even if it was garbage time.

3. Amir. Not as active in this one. He had time once JMax went to the bench with 3 fouls but didn't play with as much energy as we know he can play with. It seemed so...Darko-ish.

4. Tay did ok IMO. Not impressive, not bad either. He didn't stand out yet he did a good job.

5. Chauncey and Rip. The guards still got the job done, though not that great a shooting night from CNote.

6. Hunter still has something. He may not be the best shooter, the best backup point and not much of a floor general, but he still can defend, and that's how he helps these guys. He ups the intensity on defense. Loved that steal from Stromile.

7. Hayes. Well, it's nice to see him hit a shot. He's ok. Not as effective as he was early in the season but a nice shooter on the bench, even if he is as streaky as the best of them. He's time and impact has gone down maybe due to the emergence of Afflalo.

8. Sheed and Dice. Didn't stand out to me. Though they both played good defense. They produced.

9. JMax. Foul trouble. But he did have that nice jam off the feed from Dyess.

10. Primoz. Primoz. Primoz. In one play, he showed he wanted to be here. He dove for the ball that had been knocked away and tapped it to Afflalo for an assist on a bucket by Hayes (if I remember correctly). he was up and cheering for the players on the floor. He had that nice turnaround jumper on the block. He was a good player for Charlotte after the expansion draft, got lost, and hopefully he'll fit here in Detroit. He reminds me of Memo with heart.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Not much to add that has not already been said. As one of the relatively "younger" Piston fans, I've witnessed 2 great backcourt duos. First it was Zeke and JoeD, then Rip and Chauncey. Now I hope I am seeing the emergence of a third, Stuckey and Afflalo. The interesting thing is that this one can emerge while the other is still here bringing it.

Man this is so sweet, Joe Dumars reloaded the clip while we were still firing shots off, nobody does what Joe does better than Joe. We're deep as heck, under the cap, have 5 expiring contracts (totaling about $8mill btw), we have the MLE, BiAnnual, and draft picks available this summer.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I took my daughter to this one, so of course there was no way we could lose. I have lost count now, but its in the 20's, the number of regular season games she has went to, and the Pistons have won every one of them. She has been to a playoff series loss, but we have won each series where she has been to a game in that series.

We both went to this one to see Darko play. Not much to see. Darko, due to injuries, and lots of foul trouble when he has played, is not in game shape. He did very little in this one although his defense was fine.
    Rudy Gay was the only Memphis player worth watching tonight. Good game by him helped keep this one from being a laugher by halftime.

As it was, we only were up by about 4 at the half. But I knew we had the game won. Flip Saunders had played his bench. A lot. Sure enough, the starters came out in the 3rd and did quite well. Prince led the scoring with a lot of going to the basket. Rip hit some shots. Billups got to the line a lot abusing the short guards for Memphis.

Sheed continues to be off on his shot. If people stretch their memories just a bit though, they should know why. Sheed is still nursing that knee injury.

Dyess hit some shots, and even got some offensive boards early in the game. Good rebounding game for him. Not enough inside play for my liking though.

Hayes continues to struggle badly on his outside shooting. He got setup from a couple of nice passes for scores at the hoop (Afflalo then Stuckey) but otherwise just made one short jumper off a post up while missing many shots. I'd say he is definitely keeping the door wide open for Herrmann to step in and take his minutes.

Afflalo was outstanding in this one. On one play, he hounded Miller so bad Miller must have wondered what army had attacked him. Afflalo hit his shots, made all but one of many free throws, dished assists. When Afflalo drives in, you don't see nothing but smooth. He will make the shot, or get to the line and make his free throws. (or just as likely find an easy assist) Afflalo did not take any long rangers on his way to a career high 12 points. Good rebounding game too.

Stuckey got in for some garbage time. Within seconds, he had missed a shot inside, gathered his own rebound, and put it up an in.

Hunter played some good D, got a couple of assists. But no, you can't say he had a great game. Things stalled very badly early 2nd quarter with Hunter trying to run the point. Some good shooting by Rip at the end of that stint made Hunter not look too bad.

In both halves, Afflalo came in early for Rip. In the 2nd half, Afflalo came in, and soon the game was a route, so Rip never had to return. This stretch featured Maxiell being a total beast inside. Its like, hey, his name IS on the ball, right? Why even try to fight him for it.

Amir played. A dunk on a fast break was his highlight. Several rebounds, decent D. Some say he looks lost. Yeah, but he looks fast, quick, tall, lengthy. Amir played a lot in this game. Memphis was held to their worst output of the season. Detroit murdered Memphis in points off turnovers, and 2nd chance points. And we ended up slaughtering Memphis unmercifully in the 2nd half. Anyone think this just might be from the extra energy guys like JMAX, Afflalo, and Amir added to the game?

For this game, no, I can't think of a thing to criticize Saunders on. Excellent use of the bench. Stuckey got to play. Brezec got to play. Brezec looked just fine out there. He actually hit a fadeaway shot that Mohammed always comes up short on. (PS, I don't know what is possessing Mohammed to play well all the sudden in Charlotte. Maybe he is trying to prove something - lets see how long it lasts.)

Anyone notice that if we play Amir in the rotation we are immune to foul trouble. JMAX went out early in the 2nd quarter with his 3rd foul, but low and behold, we have another very active young player who can step in and do just fine in his place.

Murray did not dress. All twelve who dressed played, and they all scored except for Hunter. Ten players played meaningful minutes in the first half. At the half by the way, Sheed was the only guy who had played too many minutes at that point. Yep, there is room right there for Brezec to get some playing time. (And still play everyone else.)

I believe that once Stuckey gets fully ready to play, they will dress the following 12 players for most games:

Billups, Stuckey, Rip, Afflalo, Tay, Herrmann, Hayes, Dyess, Amir, Sheed, JMAX, Brezec.

For the playoffs, just maybe Samb will dress instead of Hayes. Imagine being that deep at center.

GO PISTONS!!!!!
  8. max

max All-Star

Great game. Got to see Stucky's 1st 2 points as a pro.

Memphis came to play. Their hustle pushed the Pistons to match their intensity. The Turnover differential says it all 22-8 . The Pistons were forcing TO's and scoring off them - on practically every posetion for some stretches. Basically out-executed them. Wore them down and eventually dominated. Plus we got to the line and shot around 80%.

Sheed was amazing on the defensive end.

Jason ( no free lunch ) Maxiel was his usual self. Does not matter how many fouls he has he simply cannot allow someone a free pass. Just can't do it.

McDyess was Mr. Hustle. One play he dove for the ball with 3 other opponents and saved the play.

Afflalo was outstanding in all aspects, making a good case for the backup PG spot.

I like Brezec. After seeing him play I do think he can fill a role here. Plays with a lot of energy and is a good rebounder. Not to mention that he is the only active 7'er that we have.

Only dissapointment was Amir. You can slice it and dice it anyway you want - the guy did not have it tonight. Maybe he did not expect to play or did not want to chance anything in rare game-time mins. Whatever the case he looked timid and not in sync with the rest of the team. But I am still confident. He did seem to relax once he finally hit his 1st shot.

Flip Murray did not dress and was not even in the building. Fueling speculation on the post-game that he has already seen his last game as a Piston. Hopefully Dumars can get us a 2nd rounder for him.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Hey Max, not to pick on you, but do you recall if Amir got to play in the last game? Do you recall a whole lot of plays being ran for Amir this season? Have you not noticed the numerous times Amir was right where he was suppose to be, with his defender locked out and a clear path to the basket - only to have his team not pass him the ball? Considering how little effort the Pistons have put into Amir being given a role on the team, Amir is doing just fine. This game included.
  10. max

max All-Star

Actually this was the 1st stint where he really did not impress me. Yes playing without a decent ball handler for most of his 2nd quarter mins did not help. But he was not even looking or ready for a pass if it did come. Plus out of position on most rebounds. His defense was ok.

He does need to play. I can agree with that. Try to get him some mins in every game and we should start seeing more of that guy who dominated the D-league last year.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Not hating on Jarvis, but if I'm Walter Herrmann, I'm noticing that this guy ain't delivering right now. Walter needs to work his butt off because an opportunity just may be a'knockin.

Also, we have 2 young players in Maxiel and Afflalo who bring a great deal of intensity and energy off the bench. Herrmann is supposed to cut from that same mold. How great would it be to get what AA and Max bring to the SG & PF spot from Herrmann at the SF spot. I really want to see if Herrmann can bring some things that Hayes doesn't or can't bring.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good comment about who he was out there with. Hunter, Rip. No ball handling from the backcourt. Hayes at small forward. No ball handling.

Maybe you missed a play or two. What I saw was Amir getting in good position the first couple of times, and then realizing it was a lost cause and concentrated on finding something else to do.

On rebounding, Amir led the team in rebounds per minute on the floor. He don't have to get into that good a position. He is quick, tall, and lengthy. He gets rebounds very well. He has all season so far, whenever he gets to play.

I certainly hope that no further reasons are found to exclude Amir. (Like big games, other people needing time, whatever.) No more excuses. Just lots of time for Amir so he can get comfortable out there, and his team can get use to having someone out there like him who can do so many things that nobody else on the team can even begin to do. Stay tuned for those details. I am getting a positive feeling that Amir is soon to be unleashed on the league.
  13. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Does anyone else think that the Piston defense is getting close to the same degree as the Piston defense of several years ago when they won it all? They seem to be able to reach that point where the other team can just not operate.

I have seen people talking about shopping Rip and I could not disagree more. But then, you all know that I am not much of a judge of talent.

Damn!!!
  14. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    The defensive screws usually get really tightened when J-Max, AA, and Lindsey are on the court. But J-Max and AA provide that defensive intensity that the rest of the team just feeds off of. Sheed has been great defensively, even though he struggled with his shot lately. He's been paying more attention to rebounding.
  15. buddahfan

AA can not play point guard. He couldn't play it at UCLA and and it seems to me that he will never play it in the NBA, except maybe in short stretches during an emergency.

16. buddahfan

Considering he got more rebounds per minute tonight than any of our other players, (better than 1 every 3 minutess) I can only imagine how many rebounds he will get when he doesn't look lost, confused. and listless.

In the last two games that he has played he has led us in rebounds per minute and most of those rebounds in the two games were on the defensive end.

I don't think that they are running any plays for him right now because they want him to focus on his defense including rebounding, setting screen on offense etc. He could very well be bored or upset with the fact that they aren't running plays for him or letting him do his thing on the offensive end. He could have been upset over the fact that he was a DNP coaches decision in Boston after playing pretty good in the game before against GS.

There are a lot of mental things for a very young NBA player to have to deal with. The best way to do that is with minutes and coaching.

He is still our youngest and most inexperienced player, except for Cheikh who while older is less experienced.

Right now I think the main thing for him is too keep improving his defense and to continue to lead us in rebounds per minute played. If he can do those two things this year he will get minutes and contribute to our effort in a very positive way..

Right now we need his defense and rebounding, not his scoring.

17. buddahfan

Yes I have noticed that too. Even the second unit is showing that it can play lock down defense including in garbage time, which is pretty amazing. No teams play lock down defense in garbage time. In fact I don't think that any NBA teams play any defense at all in garbage time.

The thing that impressed me the most about our win tonight was that our second unit totally shut the Griz down in the 4th quarter. It doesn't matter that much that it was their bench that we shut down. What is important to me is that the second unit made a concerted effort to play solid defense even when the game was no longer in doubt and they were able to get excellent results for their effort.

18. buddahfan

Sheed's shooting has been going down hill since 2004-05.

His shooting percentages and Free Throw attempts per game.

2004-05 ----- .440 ----2.9
    2005-06 ----- .430 ----2.6
    2006-07 ----- .423 ----2.3
    2007-08 ----- .420 ----2.2

I think that the primary reasons for this is that has has taken to spending more time playing away from the basket over the last 4 years.

One thing that Sheed does not do very well is put the ball on the floor and go to the rack. He also does not get a lot of put backs.

His inside game is mostly a post up game, which maybe he doesn't do as much of as he should.

So it seems to me that as result of the above and advancing age his shooting percentage is going to continue to deteriorate.

I don't believe that this is just a shooting slump that he is dealing with.

19. max

max All-Star

Trying to see where you guys are going with this Rebounder per minute stat of Amir's. He got 5 of them. Which is pretty good. I was there and it looked like he missed a lot of opportunities.

It just did not seem like Amir was very impressive out there. I call it like I see it. No excuses, no global judgements. Don't read any more into it than that.
  20. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

I agree that our defense is getting tougher and tougher. But the difference between this year and 2004 is that it is not the core starting 5 doing all the damage.