Away Memphis Grizzlies Friday, November 01, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

A few observation for what they're worth:

Memphis is a bad match-up for us. They can really negate our strengths.

Bad Bynum was there tonight - He is best suited as a 10-12 minute spark when he on. DNP-CD if hes off.

Most of Smiths 3's were decent shots. Playing at SF he is just going to have to shoot them as that is what the offense dictated. That said a few too many today.

Stuckey looked comfortable. Way overpaid, but replace Bynum and his salary with Stuckey and that's a good player.

Billups is missing something, I think ot is youth. Not sure I feel comfortable have him playing so many minutes. Don't get me wrong I like having him and he adds a lot, but not for 30 minutes a game.

KCP is real.

I am ready to see what Pizza Guy can do in those spare 10-15 minutes at the SF / SG postion. Sinlger is a nice player, but we need shooting, like good confident that it will go in when he has the ball shooting.

2 FUN games in a row. Can't ask for too much as a fan of a 4 straight lottery team.
    Lee356, KGREG and roscoe36 like this.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That looked a lot like a playoff game and I like the way that we competed. Really tough loss being up 6 with under a minute. That's hard to do and it took a trey by Miller and an and-1 from Gasol as well as some bad mistakes by us to even force OT.

Other than the blown W, that was a great performance all around. Smith, Drummond, and Monroe are such a great mesh that it's hard to believe that our coach kept 2 of them separated all year last year. What was he thinking?
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yeah, Billups only played a bit in just a few games in the preseason. And now he plays lots of minutes in two straight games. Not good. I know many don't like Siva, but he was the only real point guard we had who was not injured, or out of shape from not playing much of late. Siva should have started both last game and this one. When Jennings comes back, hopefully Sunday, it will be a lot better. Unless of course coach tries and keeps Bynum in the rotation, and Stuckey, and Billups, and hopefully Pope too. Its either going to get way crowded in the backcourt, or someone is going to have to sit games out.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sheed went 3-for-11 from the 3-point line on January 14, 2009. He had a 4-for-13 and a 5-for-13 back in 2006.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This coach seems to be into winning games. When things are not going good, he makes a move. Calls time out, changes players, or whatever else is needed to get us back on a winning track. Hey, I disagreed with some of his moves, but agreed with others. In any case, sure is a change from last year we had a coach who seemed oblivious to his plans just not working.
    BallDon'tLie and Walter like this.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Wow...All I wanted was 2-0.
    I'd settle for a 50-32 record.
    82-0 will be down the road.
    I won't get excited...truly excited
    til they reach the playoffs this
    season.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You made it sound like accepting any losses was a loser attitude.

That was my impression anyway. I think we came as close to 2-0 as you can without doing it.

:biggrin:

That we can agree on.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My 2 cents is if we trailed the whole game and loss by 10 or so I would be disappointed of course, but to run neck and neck with the team that went to western conf finals, lead them by six with a minute to go and then lose is very disappointing and disheartening...especially when one of our so called stars is not playing. So even though they look good, I am not going to call it a good loss.

Not sure when Jennings is scheduled to return, but would like the Pistons to be sitting with a winning record when Jennings is ready to play and he is just an addition to the winning formula and not him coming back as the possible savior to a team with a losing record. With that being said and looking at the schedule, they look good enough to go 2-1 on those next 3 games at home.
    Nemo likes this.
  9. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Nah...Just read what Dre Just posted. That's how I feel also.
    LA Dre likes this.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I just rewatched the game. Painful to watch that minute of play where we let them tie it up after being up 6. Smith had just made the triple. But anyway, just before that, with a little over 2 minutes left in the game, and us up 7, the trouble started. Billups fouled for no reason really, and they made the two resulting free throws. And then they made one of two. Down to 3 point game. Sure, Smith then hit the 3, but we just kept fouling them and sending them to the line. In each case, there was no reason to foul, as the goal was not to stop the clock so that it would run out.

Part of the problem - we had only one time out left and coach was saving it. Bad luck, cause with any timeouts used, coach could have went over a strategy to get the clock run out. Now, Memphis made near all their free throws, Miller made the 3, and Gasol got the O board and putback. They did good. It was not all our bad. Still, with a little better control of the situation, we should have won this one. Perhaps it was a mistake not to call the TO. But note, we were only up 4 after that made 3, because they smartly went inside on us, running almost no time off the clock, and got Drummond to foul. Time and score. Drummond has to learn this. But it was Billups too, and Monroe giving unneeded fouls. Let them shoot the midranger under stress. We could have done that several times vs. fouling. Even if they made them all, we still would have won, as there would not have been that 3 point play by Gasol.

You Bynum fans, do not read this paragraph. It was bad. All game long, if Bynum was in, we did not look so good. If Bynum went out, we looked good, and erased the deficit and got the lead back. Bynum was not in those last 60 seconds of regulation though. But he came right back out to start OT, and except for his bucket, well, we did not score the first few minutes. And Bynum had about 4 more turns that the official scorer did not credit to him. His ball handling was bad. He had his moments, like the pass to Drummond off driving in, but the good was rare, and the bad was continuous. And Bynum's defense was laughable as well. The announcer kept calling Bynum out on it, but he would consistently get lost behind a pick - which if Bynum is so fast, should not be happening. Not to mention either guard for Memphis could shoot over, or blow by, Bynum at will. It was not pretty.

Singler hit a few shots, got some bounds. Still, we did not look good with him playing small forward. JJ played a bit there too, and we looked better with him there. Just a flat out more rugged front line with JJ vs. Singler.

Pope, I had forgot, hit a 3 just before that one outside shot I mentioned, the one that came off a loose ball where he picked it up and swished it in the same motion. Four made free throws, some layups. Thirteen points. Great D. He should have started this game, no doubt in my mind at least.

Billups is still all or nothing. He can make an occasional 3, but his midrange game is completely lacking. Some good setups as a point guard. But note, running two point guards was a losing proposition in this game. We never need two point guards. One will do just fine. Pope should have been the shooting guard in just about every minute of this game.

I see someone asked about Jennings. They did say that he might play Sunday.

Nothing new on Stuckey. Good solid game from him, and one of our scoring stars. And he is not one of the guys who blew it in that last minute of regulation. (and should have started OT)

On Smith's 3's. Hey, his last one made put us up 6 with a minute to go. His shooting 3-11 on 3's did not lose us this game.Lets do the math. If he had made just one more, that would have been 12 points on 11 shots. Quite acceptable. Nobody shoots right on there average every night. I say keep shooting them. He was at 50% on 3's, for this short season, after making his first one. What worries me a lot more, his O for on post up moves. He seems very, very good at driving in and laying, or hooking, it in. But if he is stopped near the basket, he comes up with some pretty weak stuff. That offensive interference call on Drummond was by far the closest to anything going in for him on a standard post up move. And I think that was 5 or 6 wasted shots with nothing for it. Yes, let him shoot 3's. Five more 3 tries by him, hey, I bet we win this one. We railed on Sheed to go inside more, but Sheed could post up quite well with all that height and length he had. (On the other hand, Smith can still learn. I am no pro, but I did not learn solid post up moves until I was about 23 or so, before that, I was all outside shooting, from 45 feet on in. After age 23, I pretty much only played one on one, and got pretty darn good at those post moves. Smith can learn. But its a balancing act. Learn to post up, or win games now. I say use a mix - and tonight, maybe he should have shot a few more 3's.)

Oh, and we ran a Stuckey, Billups set, with Stuckey as the shooting guard. Total waste of a player. Stuckey is a joke as a shooting guard. He did all the good he did from the point position, which is the only place we should ever see him play.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I am going to track this for a bit. Right now, we have 2 possible scenarios. One, play Pope as the shooting guard. Or two, let Bynum play as a 2nd point guard. So far, without counting garbage time (just a bit in both games at the very ends):

Pope is at plus 15.

Bynum is at minus 14

I will include this again in my next game report.
  12. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I think that as the season goes on you'll see more of that, Bynum will end up being a situational backup.... He has certain matchups and nights that he can be really effective, that however is NEVER as a starter LOL

If Stuckey isn't traded.... Once Jennings is back in the rotation there is just no mins for him to play....

My personal preference as the season goes on is for Jennings and Pope to be our starters with Billiups and Silva getting a majority of the backup mins... probably won't happen though.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

For this particular game, since Billups had not played 2 games worth in 3 nights, nor anywhere near that level of playing time, and since Stuckey had not played at all, we should have started Siva and Pope - with Stuckey coming in as the backup point. Billups could have played just a minimal amount of shooting guard, but Pope could have just played 40 minutes. I don't think Memphis would have been able to stay in the same building with us if we had done that.