Miami Heat as 'ship contenders, R.I.P.?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dumars4Ever, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Mercury said this in the Heat/Bulls series thread:

One of the Heat's beat writers breaks things down here. Not sure why he didn't mention Udonis, who I think has about 3 years left at about 7-8 million per year. Barkley last night said that other players around the league would want to play with Shaq and Wade, and yet he also said they needed to get more athletic to compete on the boards--how exactly are they going to do that? Shaq is old and Udonis isn't that great, so where's the rebounding help going to come from?

It seems clear that Shaq is far more likely than not to wear down in the second half of playoff games for as long as he's still in the league. Big Ben certainly had something to do with that in the Bulls-Heat series, but Father Time seems like a bigger factor to me. Shaq's ability to stay healthy during the regular season and in top shape for the playoffs just isn't going to improve from the not-so-good level that it's already at.

What prospects do they have of upgrading their roster to a large extent? JWill's contract expires after next season, but Antoine's sure doesn't--as the Heat writer says, the most optimistic description of Toine as a trade asset is [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]that he "could be dealt in bad-contract swap." [/FONT]It certainly doesn't look like Shaq + Wade + role players is going to be enough for them to win anything, [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]but that's the heart of the problem of building around two superstar salaries. When those two guys aren't enough to get it done, you're stuck with no options outside of trying to find some better role players. [/FONT]
  2. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Not with this team. With Shaq, Fatoine, JWill, Haslem are still lock up with this team, it is indeed R.I.P:rip:

Anyway, last year was a major FLUKE!!!
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

They will probably lose Posey and Kapono.

They basically have to stay with what they've got and hope (against the odds) that Shaq and Wade stay healthy and maybe Shaq finally gives in and shoots free throws Rick Barry style.

They did look old but making free throws would have changed this series. Maybe Stan Van Gundy is tired of spending time with his family and will make a coaching return. Family time is great but sometimes enough is enough.
  4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I wouldn`t quite say the Heat are done yet. Wade is having off season surgery on his shoulder and Shaq`s ego will not allow him to retire just yet.

Those two will be back, everyone else is questionable. Let`s face it, the free agent crop will be very nice this year, Riley may be able to lure one or two of those free agents to play alongside Wade and Shaq.

I don`t know Miami`s salary cap situation, but a nice free agent signing, and they could be right there. This is the Eastern Conference remember.