Away Miami Heat Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Discussion in 'December 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

We beat the freakin' Heat!!!Yeah!!!!!!!Everybody say YEAH!!!!!!!!!!
    jzchen, S.J., Mark V and 2 others like this.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Best win of the season.....stopped the Heat's 10 game win streak, and were the first team to score over 100 points on the Heat in their past 8 games. All 5 Pistons starters were in double figures, and Stuckey and Singler with 16 and 18 points led the bench. Stuckey 10-10 from the line and Singler was 4-7 from beyond the arc, including 3 threes in a row at one point.

Dre got another double-double 10-18 despite sitting out most of the second qtr with 3 early fouls.

The Pistons has an 18 point lead in the second quarter and then a 17 point lead to begin the 4th after a JJ 3 pointer. But the Heat's Norris Cole and Micheal Beasley started a big spurt that turned into a 8-0 run and which woke up both Bosh and the King and before you knew the 17 point lead was down 3 ...91-88.

A lot of dribbling by Jennings and colliding by Stuckey got the Heat back in the game. But a three-ball prayer by Jennings from 27 feet and .01 seconds on the shot clock really jump started the Pistons and they closed the game from that point on a 16-9 run.

Two steals from our FreeAgents, the first by Josh that resulted in a slam by him on the other end and then a pickpocket steal from by Jennings on Lebron as he was sailing-gliding to the rim was the play that sealed the deal and was the play of the day.

Except for a six minute stretch in the 4th quarter, the Pistons controlled the game from start to finish leading by double digits after our scrubs out scrubbed their scrubs in that second quarter when they went on the 10-0 run to give them the big lead that they maintained for most of the game. Give credit for Singler for leading that charge and leading the Pistons in scoring tonight.

Pistons 6-4 when holding opponents under 100.....so keep playing the D!!!

Final Pistons 107 ~ Heat 97
    brofmfa, del, jzchen and 4 others like this.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Singler was really good tonight! I am sure Lee will agree!
  4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Piston basketball is back! Piston basketball is back! For the first time since 2008, it is back.

A total team win.

A few observations. First, the Pistons actually got out on the shooters. They flew out on the shooters. You can't do this every night in the NBA with the grueling schedules but you have to do it sometimes. No, NBA players do not miss open looks coach. The team stopped the inside moves and then got out on the shooters.

Singler, Pope, JJ--they all made shots. If you can make shots, you have a place out on the floor. NBA shooters usually make shots. What a difference a few three balls make...

Monroe did what he had to do. He often gets credit for a box score that had no impact on the game. Not so tonight. His presence was exceptional.

Very few teams in this league can handle Andre Drummond. A warning to the league: his defense is getting better. Did you see him Ben-like out there stealing a ball?

Jennings. I was screaming at you to take a shot in the 4th. It was a broken play and you delivered. On this team, a steady Stuckey in crunch time will not make it. Jennings needs to look to score late in games. And, the ball needs to get inside. And Stuckey, kept at it. Good for him. Good mindset. But he cannot be an exclusive go to guy. A few of those old charges returned but he was asked to do too much. The crunch time offense needs work.

Josh is learning to play with his teamates as he made a lot of big plays, plays that I haven't seen coming from Pistons players since 2008.

Very good win. Very good. A lot of things seem to have come together for this team--finally.
    brofmfa, del, jzchen and 7 others like this.
  5. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That Stuckey no call, that lead to the Lebron fast break, then Jennings hustle and steal and finally a great pass to Drummond who was running hard for the easy 2 was some of the best Piston basketball I've seen in years.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  6. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I missed the game.. I'll try to watch it tomorrow on the league pass!

10 points and 18 rebounds for Drummond in only 23 minutes?? thats WOW, man!! THAT'S WOW!!!
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

My recording skipped ahead at the wrong time. It does that on occasion. I was sweating it out with the rest of the fans, when Miami got the lead down to 3 with 6 minutes left in the game. But because of that skip, gee, here we are up with a decent lead with 3 minutes to go. Of course I rewound to see how we got there, but it was anticlimactic.

How we got there - Jennings nails a triple to take the lead to 6. Later Miami gets a no call on a mugging of Stuckey, and Bron is streaking toward the basket with his ill gotten gains about to cut the lead back to 5. But no problem, Jennings slaps the ball out of Bron's hands while Bron is in full stride. And the ball comes right to Jennings like its on a leash. Jennings immediately gets the ball up to Monroe for the fast break score, putting us up 9 with about 2 minutes to go. What a sequence.

Sure, they played without Wade. They still had a fine team out there. Lots of teams have failed to take advantage of Wade being out. But I will note this, their starting shooting guard, with Pope guarding him, got exactly zero points while Pope got 10. I do not see Pope outplaying Wade like that this early in his career. PS, Pope was plus 13 in this one, high for Pistons tonight.

A pair of really good defensive stands, each lasting about 3 and 1/2 minutes, got us up to a 36-18 lead mid 2nd quarter. Miami scored zilch during both of these runs.

Of great note, when Drummond got into foul trouble in the 1st, coach brought Harrellson in, to keep our advantage of a big front line. Also, another change in the rotation - Stuckey got to play some point guard along side Pope for a good stretch to start the 2nd quarter. (where one of the defensive stands occurred.) These two were joined first by Singler, and then by JJ, who both did well in this game. Yes, Singler gave up a lot of points. But he scored 18, including 4 triples. Good game for him, and part of his poor defense, was actually kind of par since very few backup small forwards can actually guard Bron. Singler was plus 9 in this one, and all the bench guys were positive. Better use of the bench. I like that. To start the 3rd, Singler did come in for Drummond, but hey, at least Miami was not salivating during halftime over the prospect of burning Singler - since they may not have expected that move since our coach did not go that way in the first half. Anyway, I will call it an improvement, an actual effort by the coach; an effort to find another way to rest Drummond besides going way smaller by replacing him with Singler. And further, Stuckey rocked as the backup point in the first half. Jennings iron manned it in the 2nd half.

Can't say enough about the rock solid steadiness of Stuckey of late. Some very questionable charging calls on him did not spoil his night. Another 16 points off the bench, and better yet, he led a sub unit to start the second quarter that both scored well, and shut the Miami bench players down completely to start the quarter. (Drummond returned there to help with that stand.)

Why did we win? Miami for the most part had to rely on outside shooting, and in this game, that outside shooting eventually failed them. (we beat them in paint points 60 -48.) Meanwhile, our 3 starting bigs combined for 41 points, 28 rebounds, 9 assists, 4 blocks, and 5 steals.

After Pope made his early shots, Miami stayed with him closely, which means Pope did his job as a shooting guard offensively. And of course, he leads that defensive effort. (Though is must be mentioned, Pope was in for one of the defensive stands, Stuckey for both.)

Jennings had problems running the offense, giving it up more than the number of assists he got. Miami was playing some pretty darn good defense. But he made up for it all with that clutch 3. And his decision making in all was fine, the starting point guard gets the credit for the main theme of the game, which was successful - getting the ball inside.

Stuckey 8-8 at the line.

Got to love a win over Miami, especially at their place, Wade or not.

GO PISTONS!!!!!
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    brofmfa, linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  8. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Yes, to see some of the plays that were made today by the Piston players brought back those good memories from the championship run.
  9. LA Dre

Two more road wins vs the Bucs and the Bulls this week and two more double-doubles could give Dre playa of the week honors...IJS
  10. LA Dre

They didn't have their 2006 Finals MVP in Wade and we didn't have our 2004 Finals MVP in Billups...I call it a wash...:sssh:
  11. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

There was a very nice shot of my man Sheed on the sidelines in this game. Good camera work by somebody I must say.
  12. roscoe36

Jennings was very efficient shooting tonight. 5/9 from the field.

Too many turnovers, but he did come up with 4 steals, and obviously that crucial one at the end of the game.
  13. roscoe36

I will say, this is not last year's product. We had some miserable games early, and now you can see things starting to improve. I am under no illusion we're a top 15 NBA team yet, but we're capable of it if the improvement continues.
  14. LA Dre

Well we are just one game out of the #3 seed in the east..
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This was a weird game because there wasn't a standout guy. Everyone who played did well.

I thought the Heart were at about 2.5 on the 1-10 intensity scale for this one. They had the Pistons out of sort defensively early and missed a lot of open 3's.

Monroe was strong tonight. He gave them 3-4 baskets they really needed to have. They need to make going to him their drought buster play instead of Jennings dribbling and dribbling.

Stuckey's ability to drive stood out when the Pistons were sputtering and the Heat's defense had sunk in. There were more signs of Joggin' Rodney tonight than there have been all year, but he is still miles better than he's ever been. Great job with him. Mo Cheeks.

For possibly the first time ever I may have gotten angry over a charge being called on Stuckey.

How about the driving layup Drummond had for his first basket of the game?

This was the Singler we were expecting this year.

The Pistons had some absolutely brutal turnovers tonight. They make dribbling the ball while walking in a straight line seem challenging.
    del, basketbills, roscoe36 and 2 others like this.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Unfortunately, I couldn't watch this game... because I had to drive to Michigan. Such a bummer, because it looks like I missed the best performance of the year. Beat the champs on the road in the midst of a 10 game win streak??? That is a quality win, even if they were missing one flopper.

If nothing else, this will be a huge confidence booster for the team and should allow them to stay tight even if they go through some more rough times.

I am really digging Smith's all around game and unselfish play overall. Even though Drummond is dominating the paint, Smith feels like the engine of the team to me right now. Smith/Drum should be a really mean duo for a long time.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  17. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

YEEEAAAHHHH!!!!!
    roscoe36 likes this.
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I like what I'm seeing from Rodney these days, but making him the go-to guy in crunch time is a big mistake. I think you run him off screens set by Monroe, if he comes off clean-shoot, if the guy is trailing- drive, if the big comes and help- dump it to Moose.

Also teams are trapping us on pick & rolls and that's what you want, it's the equivalent of a post man drawing a double team. Jennings has to get rid of the ball quickly and the player catching it HAS to be ready to make a play- shoot, drive or swing the ball to the weakside.

Fun game to watch, with the exception of the first part of the 4th qtr.

Again....when our perimeter players make shots- we win, when they don't- we don't. And these guys get GREAT looks from the perimeter.

Props again to Brandon Jennings, still a little too much dribbling for my liking but he's cut back on the Chucking significantly and his fg% over the last few games shows it. I don't think he took a single, "WTH are you doing Brandon" shot tonight....he chucked a couple because of the late shot clock (something that can be corrected if he stops over dibbling) but for the most part he was pretty good. Now hopefully we can get Josh to chill on the Chucking.......
    brofmfa and Lee356 like this.
  19. roscoe36

Unfortunately, I am fairly certain 90% of the West is better than 90% of the East. :biggrin:
    Laimbrane likes this.
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

LA Dre likes this.