Miami waiting in the Wings!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, May 16, 2006.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Well, it`s official the Miami Heat will be in the ECF Finals for the second year in a row. Who will they be facing? The Detroit Pistons of course.

Starting Wednesday Detroit will play every other day, four games in 7 days. That`s of course if they win the next two against the Cav`s, with the ECF game 1 Sunday.

This is what happens when you don`t seize the moment and handle your business. Miami handled theirs and now they can sit back and relax for a few days.

The Pistons will probably get by the Cav`s, however, a rested and improved Heat team may be too hot to handle.

I will stand by my theory; if Detroit wins games one and two they will win the series. A slip up at home and they are done.
  2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I'd certainly rather be rested up for the next round as well, but let's also remember that this isn't necessarily a decisive factor in the first couple of games. Last year, Miami swept BOTH of their first two series, against the Nets and the Wiz, while the Pistons went 5 with Philly and an occasionally nerve-wracking 6 with Indy (down 2-1, needing Game 4 on the road), and yet it was the Pistons who stole Game 1 in Miami.
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Detroit can steal a game in Miami. I think they'll need to do just that.

Miami swept their second round series last year plus they had home court advantage. We still beat them (ok, barely and with a lame Wade). Should be a great series.

But first things first.
  4. Dlev59

Not so much the rest because of fatigue, rest for the injuries!
  5. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Very interesting point Dlev and I agree with you on all levels. To add to that when we eventually face the Miami Heat fatigue is going to be a major factor. Detroit has to muster all the energy it can to put these guys away in 6 games in order to give us any kind of chance in game 1. Yes I said in game 1, if Miami does indeed beat us in the ECF it will be because fatigue and not necessarily just the skill of the Miami Heat. If we do not close these guys in 6 we are in serious trouble. I never thought this would happen but my worst fears have almost come to true. We will need to dig down extremely deep to win it this year. If not we need a change at head coach, sorry flip.
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The Lakers were also well rested a couple years ago.
    Not so sure about the team being tired since they get at least one day to relax... Injuries is a bigger concern.
    The other concern is Miami practicing against our plays.... However the Heat won't be able to accurately simulate Pistons personel.

Flip will have to be sharp with his adjustments.

We better take care of the task at hand first.
  7. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Honestly, If Sheed isn't back to 100%, I don't like our chances against a rested and confident Miami team.

I also worry about the coaching matchup. If a rookie coach can outcoach him this badly, I hate to think what Pat Riley would do.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree Freshone. Flip is surely getting outcoached by the youngster and if Sheeds ankle is not back to 98% by Sunday, this one could be 5 the hard way with a Heat series victory. :mad: And once again IFFF this happens the the loss will be blamed on Sheed>bad ankle and all, with the rest of the blamed being spread out between CB and Flip.

I would also think that Joe my hero would feel some heat for believing the MVP hype about CB and failing to find a suitable person who really back him up at the point. Hunter-Delk..please:doh:
  9. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Let's get by the Cavs first and of course we need our guys healthy. The Heat will not be easy--never thought they would be. They might even wind up the favorite. We have seen that one before.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I wouldn't mind having the Heat be the favorite...it takes a little pressure off the Pistons:nod:
  11. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

:nono: The Nets can't do anything right.

The Pistons will have to be very careful.
  12. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The bench will need to step up BIG TIME the next two games.

Remember last year, what added to our loss in San An was LB overplaying the bench.

We all know too well how ugly the starters play when they are not rested. Case in point the comeback in game 2, Flip left the starters in too long and later apologized for that.

I believe the fatigue factor is one area that will be a definite liability to us making a good showing in the heat series.

If Mo Evans/McDyess is able to come in and give some quality minutes CONSISTENTLY, then we will be in very good shape. If McDyess plays the way he did in game 4, conditions worsen dramatically.

Don't forget we now have two players with ankle injuries.
  13. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

I think the Pistons taking on Miami (hopefully) without a break is a good thing. These athletes are conditioned to play every other day and I think it will maintain the competitive edge. The downside is how hurt the players are. In that case a little rest may do them good.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's time for these fellas to wake up and smell the roasted coffee. What better way then to put them under the gun and not let up?

The prevailing theory is that Detroit only gets up for games when their backs are against the wall. That they lack any kind of killer instinct.

Backs against the wall all of the way baby! They've shown they cannot handle walking the easy path.

I like no rest. This is great.
  15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

what a clever ploy by the pistons, extending this series with the cavs so the heat have too much rest and are rusty for game 1. sneaky!!

:P
  16. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I was told of a flagrant 1 necktie foul by Mourning on R Jeff but didn't see it. Is there any chance that it could be elevated to a flagrant 2 with suspension.

The Heat will be rested, we will not, and if scheduling habit holds true we will also have to play them after only a 1 day rest.

That being the case an absent Zo may just be the equalizer that prevents Miami from comming here and stealing game one.
  17. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

exactly.

And to toast the mad joy of Micro's truth, a Haiku:

Backs to the wall. Scared?

Jump off the bandwagon. But

Detroit will punch back.
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Once up 2 nothing
    The rookie coach grasps at straws
    Billups must show more
  19. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

I'm worried enough to think we will lose to Miami in 6, but the Pistons always show up for big games. They are about 50/50 with mediocre teams, which explains the trouble of the 1st and 2nd rounds. These next two games can help to ramp up the intensity and bring the D back to the D. It that happens, it won't matter how much rest Miami gets.

But it is a bit disconcerting that Miami is peaking at the right time while the Pistons are slumping.
  20. Dlev59

After Detroit handles the Cav`s in 7 games will they have enough to handle a rested Heat team in game 1 of the ECF?

As someone said before, rest in the Playoffs can be overated unless rest is needed to nurse injuries. Miami has started playing the best ball of the year in the last series against NJ. Wade and Shaq have been themselves but the difference has come from A Walker, Gary Payton, and role players who have been nonexistent thus far.

The last thing I would want to happen (if I were Pat Riley) is a long break between games which might result in the disappearnce of these inconsistent role players.

Shaq and Kobe will need help against the Pistons and they have been getting it lately. Something happened against the Cav`s that I thought wouldn`t happen - dropping a home game. We must hold serve at home against the Heat, especially in games 1 and 2.