Miami waiting in the Wings!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, May 16, 2006.

1. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

I seriously doubt the Pistons will underestimate the Heat like they did the Cavs. Hats off to the Cavs for adjusting, but the Pistons and Flip never expected them to play grind it out bball.

2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

look at those pistons, extra sneaky!! lose game 5 at home on purpose to force a game 7 and another 2 days of rust to collect for miami!! i tell ya, master strategists!!

btw miami had a similar layoff last year and we beat them on the road in game 1. i believe we'll only have one day of rest after game 7, but we won't have to travel and should be in good shape. that is if we get to the miami series :)

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This is really the best of a bad situation. The Heat have to be prepared to play Cleveland at home, or fly to Detroit. They have to prepare for LBJ and the Pistons.

I don't think they will accumulate much rust under Riley, he's notorious for working his teams (too) hard in practice.

The advantage goes to Detroit, in that auxilliary personnel are able to gather tape and update scouting reports on Miami as that opponent is known.

Rest is overrated. We'll make up a day in home cookin' and no travel should the Pistons advance. There is something to be said for sleeping in your own bed.

Btw, I'm really pumped to have the Heat in town. I hope the fans find out where they are staying and have street parties all night outside the hotel. HAHA. HCA!

4. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Besides, if we get by CLE, I'd rather have us in a rhythm of having played recently. Usually when we sit around, we come out rusty. I'd rather have MIA with a lack of rhythm and trying to get back into things than free flowing and comfortable in their groove. They've been healthy most of the year and haven't been able to keep up with us, I seriously don't think they will be able to if we're in a rhythm of having played every other day.

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'll say it right now. Cavs are better than the Heat. The Cavs played great defense against us and Miami will not be able to do that. Eric Snow slowed down Chauncey and Jason Williams will not be able to do that. Shaq definantly won't do as good of a job on defense as Verajao did.

6. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Miami`s best defensive lineup is: Zo, GP, Wade, Haslem and Posey. That is not bad. However, with that lineup Wade is the primary offensive option. GP and Posey can be a threat from the arc only though.

7. anakin

Particularly Snow against CB. The Heat and even the Spurs don't have a potential CB stopper.

8. roscoe36

Shandon Anderson

9. max

max All-Star

Sometimes it can be an advantage to keep playing when you are on a roll. If ( When ) the Pistons win tomorrow they will have back-back wins and with a short 1 or 2 days rest can take on Miami.

The main thing we have to worry about is Sheeds ankle. As long as he holds up we will be fine.

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Miami will be tough challenge based on our recent play. But maybe it was just a matchup problem with CAVS and order will be restored once we escape from this one. The momentum will be there. The 2 pt loss in game 5 was wake up call as we should not lose any more at home the rest of this run. :fingerscr I Believe

But realistically, lets just hope the players are concentrating on the CAVs on Sunday and not thinking ahead to the Heat. :nod:

11. anakin

White Chocolate is their starter, I doubt Anderson will play signficant minutes. Snow has logged quite a few minutes in the series and I still think no other PG will give CB this much trouble.

12. Reve

Reve First Round Draft Pick

Cavs aren't even in the same league as Miami.

I hope the team doesn't take Miami as lightly as some of our fans are.
    Shaq being rested and rest for the injured Zo, Williams and Wade will only help them down the road. Last year if it wasn't for the injuries to Shaq and Wade we might not have made the finals.

Wade has not played well at all in either the Bulls or NJ series. Eventually he is going to wake up.

13. roscoe36

Anderson is not a PG, I think he is a swingman. But he is Pat Riley's poor man's Bruce Bowen. After this series, I can bet you that the best defenders get put on CB and not Rip. That's what I would do, and I am somehow related to Larry Brown if you go back 5 or 6,000 generations. Coaching is in my blood. ;)

14. anakin

Sorry, if I meant to create the impression that Anderson is a PG, he is more in the mold of a SF with SG size. I was just making the point that Snow is a regular in the line-up who CB has a tough time with. No other starting line up has a PG that can consistently harass CB over 48 minutes. I wish we had a quick PG who would provide the change of pace at that position. CB provides the brawn, the sub creates mismatches when facing the bigger/stronger PG's.

15. roscoe36

Not a PG, but the Suns would probably put Raja Bell on CB. The Clips would use Quinton Ross. Spurs, Bowen.

Without the ball, the defense side coach chooses the inital matchups. There is no hard and fast rule that a PG has to guard a PG was my point.

I too wish we had a quick PG. Arroyo kinda waddled like his underwear was riding up or something and despite deceptive speed, was never going to burn anyone on straight blow by. I am a little worried that teams seem to be favoring these small guys like Devin Harris, Tony Parker, Jason Terry, Ben Gordon, Jameer Nelson. I'm not sure you can combat speed with wingspan.

16. anakin

On the offensive side this series indicates that you take care of Chauncey you can quickly stagnate the offense. Bowen would be a %%%%%. Next season Joe needs to address that issue.

The Pistons and Flip never anticipated that the Cavs would play the grind it out style of the Pacers. This IMO caught them totally by surprise especially after the first two games and is a reason why they are 3-3 in the series. In hindsight this seems obvious that Brown would use this strategy. The last 2-3 minutes of Game 6 really showed the Pistons of old i.e. the nasty junk yard dog kind. This debacle will not happen with Miami as the Pistons will go into the series (jumping the gun) knowing the series will be hard fought.

17. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I wish we had that quick PG also. Not only on defense but offense too. Those quick PG always give Detroit problems, and it would be nice to have one of our own.

The only way wingspan combats speed is too reach out and grab someone, which of course will not work.

18. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

@micro
    don't you think that the Spurs wouzld put Bowen on Hamilton as they always did this far? Or do you think they'd learn from the Cavs and use him to take CB out of the game?

19. roscoe36

I think Popovich will adjust as he needs to.

It's become very obvious (per Anakin's post) that

1. Everything runs through Chauncey
    2. We don't have an adequate backup

If I am Pop, on the road, by halftime of the first Finals game, Bowen is switching onto CB to remove his court vision. It's those kinds of change of pace moves that can steal a game.

Not to take further shots at Flip, but do we really think that he can outcoach Pop with SA making all the defensive adjustments?

20. anakin

Flip will have to mix it up. Maybe use TP as the ball handler (?) if CB is being shut down. The threat of a viable option has to be there. Someone else has to make the other team pay for that strategy.

Or CB has to take it on himself to get the ball out of his hands quickly (not shoot). Good ball movement will work too. Maybe even drive and kick it out. Again, the threat of a counter strategy is sufficient IMO.