Michael Beasley?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by The Panda, Feb 27, 2012.

?

Do you want him in a Pistons jersey

1. Yes

28.6%
  2. No

71.4%
  1. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Two questions.

1 - Would you want to see him in a Pistons jersey? And, why?
    2- What would you trade for him? (realistically)

Lets see how we go.
  2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hmm, probably not at this stage. His talent is not really in question but the problem the Wolves have identified with him are that he is simply a blackhole on offense. He has a one-on-one game and the Wolves found that their offense really stagnated when he was in the game - no passing - no rhythm or flow.

So in that regard, I'm not sure I would chase him. Of course, he could probably be our leading or 2nd leading scorer, but I'd be wary of bringing in a player like that when we'd like to continue to establish an unselfish team that shares the ball and operates through Knight and Monroe.
  3. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

You have to add another option to the poll.. something like.

"I wouldn't mind for a fair price" or "I would want anyone ina Pistons jersey not named Villanueva, Gordon or Daye"

That's my trade.

Ben Gordon and Daye
    in exchange of
    Mike Beasley, Anthony Tolliver, Anthony Randolph.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=842n8f6

The trade is possible, i mean, the salaries match.

Minnesota gets in Gordon a great adition to Rubio.

Rubio - Ridnour
    Gordon - Barea - Ellington
    Wes Johnson - Webster
    Love - Derrick Williams
    Pekovic - Darko

I think that is a pretty good roster.

And we will end up with something like

Guards: Knight - Russell - Stuckey - Bynum
    Forwards: Prince - Jerebko - Beasley - AnthonyRandolph (CAN'T BE WORSE than Daye) - Anthony Tolliver - Villanueva
    Centers: Monroe - Ben Wallace - Tolliver (can play center) - Macklin.

_________

If anything goes bad, the 3 players have only this year left in their contracts, so in July they can all be free agents.

Instead we would have 2 more years of Gordon and 1 more of PhantomDaye
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Yes but Gordon's contract is untradeable...
  5. S.J.

If you mean that no team would want it, then, yes, you are right.. but at least give it a shot, maybe add a 2nd round pick that Minnesota loves to have.
  6. BallDon'tLie

It's going to take more than throwing in a 2nd rounder to get a team to bite on a deal for Ben Gordon. Seriously, this contract is that bad. The only way to unload Gordon would be to take back an equally bad contract. Good luck finding one of those.

There isn't another player in the league right now who is:
    1. Locked up for as long as Gordon is...
    2. ...at the amount of money that Gordon is;
    3. ...who is under-performing their contract to the degree that Gordon is.

Like it or not, we're stuck with this guy for at least 2 more seasons. Our only pathetic hope is that he somehow starts putting 25 pts per game with "serviceable" defense. Based on what we've seen so far during his time as a Piston, that's not likely to happen.
  7. S.J.

I get it, I know.

But there are other players with bad contracts. I can't debate about if there are worse than Gordon's, but this are bad contracts as well. I'm talking about players such as Elton Brand, Richard Jefferson, Rashard Lewis..

I think in Minnesota, the worst contract is the Darko one.
  8. BallDon'tLie

Darko is signed for less than half of what Gordon is making. With all of his flaws and his lack of a heart, he'd start for the Pistons and would be a decent big to bring off of the bench once we can find a good guy to pair with Monroe.

Brand at least offers some production and is has an expiring deal next year.

'Shard Lewis is the most overpaid player in the history of basketball but he his deal is expiring next year. A team could rebuild itself with his expiring contract alone.

Richard Jefferson's deal is only slightly better than Gordon's based soley on the $3 mil per year less than he's getting paid. Production wise, he's pretty similar to Gordon. R-Jeff might have the 2nd worst contract in the NBA behind Gordon.

To sum up; When considering possible Ben Gordon trades for each of these players, I'd rank 'em like this:
    1. Darko (yikes)
    2. Brand
    3. Lewis
    4. R-Jeff

This is a crap list to say the least. Funny thing is, I don't think that any of the teams that employ these 4 guys would even consider a deal for Ben Gordon.

...nice work Joe!
  9. BallDon'tLie

As a side note; I wish the Pistons salary structure looked like the T-Wolves. Every guy on that team makes reasonable money and nobody has a salary that is un-tradeable. Kevin Love is due for a big payday next year but he's worth every penny. Their PG (Rubio) looks like the real deal and he's signed for the next 4 years at a good price.

That's a team full of young, good players with the cap flexability to add to the equation.
    They are everything that I wish the Pistons were. (granted, they had to suck pretty bad for a longer time to get there)

Aside from Darko and Brad Miller, pretty much that entire team is underpaid.
    Nemo likes this.
  10. S.J.

11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'll tell you what I think S.J.. Ben Gordon was a good fit in Chicago but then the Peter Principle took over...every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence. Or maybe it's just Karma from when they signed Ben Wallace.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

His shots per game went from 16.3 with the Bulls to 9.4 with the Pistons. It's no wonder his scoring went down.

So, the Pistons are what happened to Ben Gordon. He got paid and Joe got played.
  13. BallDon'tLie

Dude, I'm just a casual internet fan. How could I possibly know why Ben Gordon's scoring average dropped 40%??? I have some theories but only Ben Gordon knows for sure.

What I DO know is this:
    This was a bad signing from day one. Joe was fresh off a solid run of ECF appearences and he blew all of that Allen Iverson cap space on two guys that were the best smelling turds in a poopy FA class. He signed Ben Gordon when he already had Richard Hamilton. Like he tends to do with all of his players, he over-valued the demand for Rip thinking that he'd be easy to trade. ...ooops!

Joe either had a bad plan or no plan at all.
    That's not a good way to run a business.

As a fan, the thing that bothers me is the fact that he still appears to not have a plan. At a time when he should be building around his recent lottery picks and getting younger while cutting payroll, he goes out and re-signs a couple of redundant guys to over-priced deals, adding two more turds to the pile of poopy contracts.

I only hope that there is some sort of method to this madness.
    I hope to log on to this site in a couple weeks and find out that Prince was traded to Toronto for their unprotected 2012 first rounder and Stuckey was traded to the Wizzards for Andre Blatch and Trevor Booker. I keep waiting for the day that I turn on NBA TV and see the words "Pistons trade Ben Gordon to Sixers for Spencer Hawes, Evan Turner, 2nd round pick" scroll across my screen.

I'm not holding my breath but I AM rooting for Joe to recover from some of the mistakes that he's made.
    alexa032 likes this.
  14. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

He came to a team that didn't need him. A team that didn't want him. A team that didn't accept him.
    Joe brought in a player that didn't fit into the roster as Joe had planned....Rip wasn't sent away as scheduled.

That's my offering.........he also has big luggage.........
  15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

He's 286th in the league in points per cubic feet of luggage.
    Prince once again leads the league in that category.
  16. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Since making the WCF in 2004 (the year the Pistons won it of course), they have failed to make the playoffs since and have a total record of 187-387 (32.6%).

It's now 8 seasons since then. We are in year 4 since we last lost in the ECF and 3 years since our last playoff appearance. They've had a lot longer to acquire great young talent. But it's also a scary (and realistic) forecast into what we've got ahead of us... :cold:

You know how many 1st round draft picks the Wolves have on their roster? Go on and guess and you'll still be way under! :dizzy:
    It's quite remarkable really. I hadn't realised until I looked at it earlier this season. 10!!

Milicic 2nd
    Beasley 2nd
    Williams 2nd
    Johnson 4th
    Love 5th
    Rubio 5th
    Webster 6th
    Randolph 14th
    Ridnour 14th
    Ellington 28th

No wonder you like their roster! But really, with a team with this much talent, they should be much better. And obviously many of these are still on their rookie scale contracts which is why their salary looks so good.
  17. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

think of the raises they'd get with JD as their GM.............
  18. S.J.

:D I know that man! Don't know what you think I was expecting!.

I remember that a lot of guys (here and there) said that Gordon wasn't playing OK because Hamilton.
    Ok, No Hamilton this year.

But Knight + Gordon hasn't been any good either for him!
  19. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'll take Beasley. He can score and GM needs the help.