1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Michael Curry and Rip Hamilton tension part of 'drama' last season

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Perhaps both!

2. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

My thoughts exatcly! :pound:

3. detteam

detteam All-Star

Think Rip would have questioned Laimbeer for having no NBA coaching experience?

4. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

I would take some drama and a Finals appearance over whatever Curry will manage to do in his short tenure.

Not sure Joe D remembers that class is a two way street. He was a classy player, but some of his actions as a GM are down right classless. If you didn't want Rip problems you should have given him the heads up on Billups and not hid the fact that he was out until the ink was dry on Rips new contract. That was stupid. Maybe not illegal or morally wrong, but it wasn't classy.

I am OK with Rip being moved, but our attitude problems are directly traced to Joe D coaching hires and roster moves.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A lot of the hard feelings going around have been from lack of communication.

Billups found out about the trade when he was getting ignored on the plane by the coaching staff.

Rip wasn't told about the CB trade until after his contract negotiation.

Rip wasn't told that he was going to be benched and heard it at the team meeting.

AI got benched in a sudden way with no real communication.

With Joe supposedly being a classy guy and Michael Curry supposedly being a great communicator, this reoccuring pattern is not what I would have expected. Mousy moves lead to an unhappy locker room.

6. detteam

detteam All-Star

That's a great point. If Joe had been straight-up and waited to attempt extending the contract until after CB was gone, Rip might have said no and asked for a trade. Joe could've saved the team the discomfort of a disgruntled teammate, as well as making things easier for an already overwhelmed Curry.

7. Dlev59

I don't see why not.

He doesn't have any, does he. This notion that NBA pllayers would be afraid of Lambeer is comical to me. What is Laimbs going to do beat the crap out of somebody?

8. detteam

detteam All-Star

Only in my dreams. Some of these prima donna's could use a good azz kickin' :)

YouTube - Laimbeer [ War film ]

9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Thank You.

And Thank You.

I saw this stuff yesterday, and thought my head was going to explode when i came here and started reading comments, but this whole thread is refreshing. Nice to see some balance instead of everyone either trading Rip or sacrificing him at the alter of AI.

Rip needs to check his behavior, but the way this was handled was just terrible all around.

And LOL at the "as a limited skills player". I'm hoping this doesn't go the way of a Flip situation where we get rid of players for a BS coach. And if Curry did tell Rip he was benched at a team practice in front of everyone it's not him being "tough", it's actually the opposite, it's taking the easy way out and avoiding confrontation; just like he did w/ AI by making benching him until it seemed like "the last possible resort" waiting for a 7 game losing streak and team chemistry to go to hell instead of talking to both of them. Classic passive aggressive move.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It seems like immediately buying AI out after the trade would have been the best move. AI would have been happy, Rip would have been happy, Curry would not have had to make any difficult decisions, and the org would have saved some cash. AI brought in some fans, but that seemed to be offset by all the losing.

Of course, the buyout didn't happen because Dumars thought AI + Curry would make us better.

11. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Wow...by the time it's all said and done, the entire championship roster will have been convicted of murder...or at least tax evasion.

I'm really amazed we even won a title with so many malcontents, escape goats, cancers, and just plain a-holes.

12. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    One way or another it doesn't look good. And it also diminishes Rip's value and what he can bring back in a trade.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Negative showcasing has been a part of the Pistons strategy for quite a while now. They may want to rethink that as some point.

14. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I don't know whether it is showcasing or just plain being unable to keep it in house, but it doesn't look good in terms of trade, and it doesn't excite other players about coming in to play here if there is a possibility that they could be stabbed in the back at some point or another.

15. Dlev59

I agree on the beatdown point, however, our friend (and I love Laimbeer) was on the other end of beatdowns or near beatdowns. So, if it did come to that some NBA players might remind him of that.

16. detteam

detteam All-Star

Are you kidding? A lot of these kids were in diapers. And Laimbeer always got up off the canvas, ready to go again :)

17. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

The Piston PR debacles are great in number, but somehow Joe D has managed to keep his rep as a straight shooting gentleman. These days when Joe talks I know he is lying or deluded. He's done a great job of alienating and bad mouthing an entire roster of guys who won a ring here while somehow holding on to his spotless reputation. How is that?

He might pull another rabbit from his hat, but there is no doubt things aren't what they seem in Pistonland. We've had locker room issues for two straight seasons. That is on Joe D.

18. detteam

detteam All-Star

Sarcasm?

19. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

AI + Curry + Pink Slip is the only way I see us being competetive. I just don't think we will be contenders while Curry is at the helm. He talked a good game last pre-season but walked the plank durng the season.

20. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I agree that the timing of these types of articles are suspicious. Why wasn't this 'drama' reported on during the season?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.