Michael Curry and Rip Hamilton tension part of 'drama' last season

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Maybe because someone spilled the beans to pave the way to some upcoming trades?

2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

What if Rip stays and so does Curry? Is it the Flip situation all over again? Does it mean Joe learned nothing from the last few years of having a coach/players that don't respect/like eachother? Because even if we are rebuilding and not concerned about winning, it's still a toxic enviroment for the new players especially the young ones. And f you're supposedly grooming the PG of the future, wouldn't you want stability (or a coach that can coach but that's besides the point)? Reading Curry's response about how he's not going to havea sitdown meeting w/ Rip and wait to see what the roster looks like is not encouraging.

3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Is Curry voting "present"? :stirthepot:

4. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

You know me bro, of course! [SIGN]Sarcasm Advocate[/SIGN]

5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I am baffled at this thread. We are all mad at Rip for this interlude between him and Curry. We are all angry that Rip's acting like a primadonna and we want him out because that is just unacceptable behavior. I do not undertand this reaction at all. You are NEVER going to have a conflict-free locker room in this league. You will ALWAYS have players going against their coaches. Remember what happened w/ Melo & GK this year? What matters is if people can still get the job done while hating each other. The stuff that went on between Kobe and Phil Jackson was far worse than this little episode in Detroit, but those two are now parading with the O'Brien trophy.

Rip didn't turn into a diva this season. He has always been a volatile character, second to only Sheed in getting technicals. But, you deal with him and he produces. He was one of the most productive and successful players in this miserable season. So, whatever the stupid drama was between him and Curry, it didn't prevent Curry from getting production out of Rip on court.

Curry was incompetent all year long, and at best he'll grow into a mediocre NBA coach. I think he mishandled a lot of things this season. The AI/Rip drama being the biggest one. I don't agree with the notion that talking to Rip beforehand about him going to the bench is a sign of weakness. It's a chance to confront any discontent and handle it right away. When you do it in front of the team like that, it ends up playing out (and dragging on) in the media circus.

I do not like this article. This silly tension is NOT a reason to trade Rip. The sad state of affairs is that he is the most solid player we have on this team. If we trade him to get a solid player, then fine. But, trading him because he has stood up to Curry and openly questioned him is a wrong move. BTW, how many of us have been yearning for someone on the roster to do just that while Curry was piling coaching errors all season long?

6. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

LOL!

Ok, he did get back up off the canvas, I'll give you that one.

I remember a lot of folk spoke of Curry in the same manner I am hearing about Laimbeer.............well we have witnessed Curry. I am not saying Laimbs would be another Curry. This "hard nosed instant respect getting coach" that some percieve him to be is a bit much to me.

I honestly hope Laimbeer gets a chance and hopefully prove me wrong.

7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I think i might love you . . . LOL

8. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

Personally I can't kill Rip over this. There's been plenty of times in my working life that I have just wanted to haul off and yell at my boss over a disagreement or the way I was being treated. Of course I held back because my job depended on it, but if I was an NBA player making 10X the salary of my boss (guaranteed), then I just might have. That doesn't necessarily even mean that I don't respect my boss.

9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'm upset at Dumars mostly because this is his mess. He brought in Curry who couldn't do the job. He didn't step in and rectify a negative environment. Now all this BS comes out in the media. Same ol' pattern. We all make mistakes and I'm not ready to throw anyone (Rip, Curry) under the bus but I'm not a happy fan after reading all of this.

10. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

With everything that has been said and done this past season, I am just ready to try to dismiss it and move on. Hopefully a real leader will emerge for this team. My hopes is that it will be Tay. Hopefully he will step up and unleash the beast within. Hopefully with one year under his belt, Curry will still get fired (I can't think of anything positive to say about Curry). I hope Amir gets playing time in Milly. If Sheed doesn't stay with Detroit, hopefully he will retire or play for Orlando. I hope that Rip either gets over himself and the loss of his PIC. I hope Dice goes to Boston if he doesn't stay in Detroit. I hope DayeShawn doesn't try to gain weight to quickly just to please us and gets hurt in the process. I hope Jonas will be a very good pick for Detroit. I hope Shaq gains 50lbs over the summer.

11. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

I don't know about these other folks but that's how I read it as well Roscoe... Definitely sounded like Sharp was giving the ever incompetent curry the business on how any self respecting coach attempts to make ammends and establish some common ground with their best player(s)... It's only common sense, even if I did plan on trading a guy I'd try to patch things up just to show the others I'm still in control and everything is gonna be OK... Then again that's a big part of the issues with curry as a coach, he doesn't even posses/exercise decent common sense for cryin out loud!!!

12. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I blame this mess on Dumars as some of you have stated. I mean how would he expect the players to react? Especially with the highly questionable decisions Curry has made. Dumars hires a coach who has been an assistant for one year...not to mention he was a horrible player. No credibility at all. Will Blaylock Pistons coach 2025? He did make that three, that's pretty respectable.

I hope we redeem ourselves this year and start to build a solid core, but that doesn't change the fact we have a clueless head coach.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Shock would never even have made the post season with MC coaching them.

14. max

max All-Star

Its going to be too hard finding a coach that these guys can respect. Maybe you can but he may be lacking in other area's. Bottom line - the players have to be more professional.

I think a lot of this is the Rasheed Wallace effect. Guys see what he gets away with and follow suite.

Time to get rid of every last trace of that switch attitude that stemmed from some kind of entitlement of 04. I like Rip but you can't win unless everyone is on the same page - at least during the games.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This crew went deep into the playoffs with Carlisle, Brown, and Saunders. I think they've proven that they are coachable. What did Curry do right last year? Is there anything he did that any of us were really pleasantly surprised with?

16. max

max All-Star

He wore nice suites.

17. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Lol, good luck with that. We've seen the best of Prince... he is what he is.

18. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

This article is coming out quite conveniently. Like if I were getting ready to trade Rip because he is under contract til he turns 35 and is already our largest salary, it would be very helpful for someone to leak this inside information to the press before I pulled the trigger.

19. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

This situation is not going to work. The players have no respect for Curry. I would have loved to have heard that exchange.

20. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I agree with the comment about professionalism. The players never should have disrespected Flip as a coach IMO. He had his flaws, but compared to Curry he is god. Not to mention he has alot of experience coaching. But as a GM when you place a guy at head coach who has no experience and no credibility such as Curry it's asking for trouble.

I bought into the hype last summer, I'm not going to lie. I even defended Curry halfway through the season, but it's clear he is horrible. As to the question did Curry do anything to impress me? Nothing at all honestly, haha. I guess you can say he's not afraid to switch starting lineups?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.