MICHAEL CURRY IS FIRED!!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by coynejeremy, Jun 30, 2009.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

How about Curry going fishing?
  2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Whoa! I got the news from Pardon the Interruption's Twitter update, of all places.

Did anyone see this coming? Joe seems to have played this one awfully close to the vest. I hadn't even seen any hints of a possibility of Curry getting canned.
  3. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

Laimbeer quiting the Shock wasn't a hint? :D
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Doug Collins doesn't have the temperament to coach this team. He's a never was who owes most of his notoriety to coaching MJ and his broadcasting job.

The last time he was here, he caused a huge rift in the locker room. Joe has to be wise about this since he was on the team then.
  5. Mossberg

Works for me!
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps Joe D didn't realize last season was that bad until he read Drew Sharpe's column yesterday.
  7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

If he gets the job, I guess it'll turn out to have been one, but I don't think anyone here was speculating about that. There was chatter about Laimbs being brought on as an assistant for the Pistons after leaving the Shock, but nothing about Curry getting fired, as I recall.
  8. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

My guess is he wanted to not make an emotional decision. Wanted to clear his head, talk to players, etc. Anyways. He came to the right conclusion which is the most important thing!
  9. Buckeyes#1

How bout Dick Vitale? Oh yeah babyyyyyyyyyyy.

:pound:
  10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Matt Dery speculated on-air that Doug Collins would be the next coach. This is based on conversations Dery had this past season with people in the Pistons org who apparently like Collins. Statements like: If Doug were here, such-and-such wouldn't be happening. He admits it's just speculation now, but he plans to dig more into it.

My pick would be Thibodeau. Wasn't he the defensive mind of the Celtics' championship team?
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Doesn't it seem like that Swedish kid hit Dumars up with some popcorn and coke and told him to can Curry? He was just in town.

Does this mean Rip is running the team now?

Curry had to go. I wanted to hang myself after I read the article yesterday.
  12. Kez

Kez Second Round Draft Pick

After how last season played out, I'm glad he's gone. As far as Laimbeer goes, I'd love to see him as an assistant coach so he can get used to coaching in the NBA without being thrown into the fire as a head coach. My first choice for a coach, if he's willing, probably would be Jeff Van Gundy over Avery Johnson, and especially over Doug Collins.

Forgot about Thibodeau. I'd definitely consider him if Detroit was looking for a new head coach and not a retread.
  13. Mossberg

Hmmmm. This is interesting. :D
    Pistons fire coach Michael Curry after one season | detnews.com | The Detroit News
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep Laimbeer quitting his job and Cowens leaving too.

Anyone hired other than Laimbeer will know they are on a short leash with Laimbeer lurking in the background (if lams remains unemployed fro the next year.) This will probably be the case even if Lams is hired as an assistant.

Let's speculate here......I wonder if Joe got a leak that LB was being fired and he is going to go after him.

Speaking of retreads, I heard Doug Collins is on the short list.

The way Joe has hired and fired coaches the past six years, he probably already has someone in mind and we will probably know whom that is in 48 hours. After all any potential FA need to know who they will be playing for.
  15. Mossberg

Yep. Joe never fires a coach without a replacement already picked. Joe already has decided on the new coach and the deal has most likely been inked.
  16. Buckeyes#1

My sources are telling me that he is going to bring in Billups as a player/coach. Don't allow yourself to get caught up in all the silly, petty, binding contract hurdles that would have to be overcome.
  17. Mossberg

I heard Jackie Moon was going to be the guy.
  18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

This is one of the most humorous posts that I've ever read on a sports related internet forum.
    :thumb[1]:
  19. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

From Drew Sharpe's column: "Rebuilding that relationship should be Curry's top off-season priority, but he told me last week that he's not planning on having a sit-down with Hamilton until later this summer."

I wonder if Curry is still going to have this sit-down with Hamilton. :pound:
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Odds are that Laimbeer quit his Shock gig b/c he has an understanding with JD. Laimbeer's departure was pretty sudden considering how long he's been there and how much success he has had.

The other possibility is that Laimbeer simply heard that MC was going to be fired and that is why he quit the Shock.

So, in that scenario, there is no deal worked out ahead of time between him and Joe, but Laimbeer is trying to signal that he is ready to go and take away all variables that could make Dumars pass him over. He could have just been putting himself on the market.