MICHAEL CURRY IS FIRED!!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by coynejeremy, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

A lot of us were hoping for it as the season wound down, but after Joe initially announced that Curry was coming back, I think we'd all lost hope.

But you were still keeping the faith, HQ?
  2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It sounds like that article where he refused to talk to Rip did make a dent;

Pistons fire coach Michael Curry after one season | detnews.com | The Detroit News

I'm kinda annoyed there hasn't been a JVG mention in any articles. I think he's the best coach avaliable for this team.
  3. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

So I guess Rip is definitely coming back.
  4. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Re: Terry Foster: Joe should coach the team

Like McHale, like Isaiah ... those moves didn't work out real well for either of them.
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Who do we think is running this team? Harry Potter? This isn't make believe. Its real life where sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't. We dominated the east for half a decade and were in it to win it 2 times in a row. There are only a few few GM's in the history of the NBA that have done that and even then how many have constructed a perennial title contender without a legend in the making Magic/Bird/Shaq/Duncan type player?

So what is 'this mess?' This is not the team that competed for a spot in the finals. The expectations are different. By the time the season opens, we'll have new faces and new chemistry to build. That will include the coach. So we can all stop living in 2005...this is 2009. Time for an new pistons team to be built and honed.
  6. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

WHOOO HAH......... I am doing cart wheels, but if it is true that Doug Collins is the leading candidate I will not be happy, but he is better than Curry.
  7. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Only issue I see with that is, JVG seems to only do really well when he has a team full of physical players. He doesn't coach finesse ball really well and we aren't exactly stocked with bruisers.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe is getting fried on Around the Horn for all of things that went wrong since 04....assume PTI will do the same when it comes on later.
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

That's true, but we still have FA/trade options. My main thing w/ JVG is that he could possibly instill some toughness back into this team, mentally and otherwise. I cringe at how soft they are now.
  10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

The only thing that bugs me about this is that Coach Tablecloth was such a good nickname.

Doug Collins coached Rip his rookie year in Washington with MJ.
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

He seems to have a strong relationship with Kwame as well.
  12. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Ahem, Mr. D4E, I kept the faith also and was the one who said that Curry would be fired. Just because we keep playing phone tag, don't diss a sista lol.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I hope armygirl has that channel blocked out.
  14. G-man

G-man Starter

Agree completely, it's lame.

When Dumars gave Mike Curry the opportunity he still had Coach Saunders on the payroll in the last year of his $26M contract. On the books he was paying Saunders all last season somewhere in the category of $6-6.5M. That was on top of Currys contract.
    Curry still has $5M on his deal.

So he was loosely spending 7-8M on just the head coaching position.
    With Saunders off the dole, it would appear to leave a decent amount on the table for the hiring of one of the premier guys floating around.

It's clear from the following McCoskey piece Dumars won't be hiring Laimbeer. He says he needs an experienced coach. Additionally, he should always be on the prowl for the coach that he thinks fits the teams dynamic best. I don't have any problem with changing coaches anymore than changing players. It's the nature of the beast and he's compensated everyone of them for the time and effort. Curry will make more off the 3 year deal than he did in his whole fricking career on the floor.

While I didn't agree with much of Currys coaching, he elected to take a job that ended up being tougher than he expected. He's a hardnosed coach just like he was a hardnosed player. I wish him well as it's never pleasant to see someone lose their dream job..

Pistons fire coach Michael Curry after one season | detnews.com | The Detroit News
  15. basketbills

True. He did have had a role in the emasculation of Kwame in Washington, although MJ did most of the work.
  16. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

What was Dougie Fresh gonna say? MJ (Major Jerk) got him fired the 1st go round...
  17. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

tHE Lord works in mysterious ways!!!!!!!!!!!!
  18. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

I've said it before and I'll say it again. JVG is in Mister Stern's dog house for attacking the credibility of the NBA and its refereeing way back when. With his brother coaching in the Finals, and the Van Gundy name in good reputation again, maybe his unofficial ban may have ended.

For the record, I love JVG. Him putting Ewing on Timmy Hardaway to block his last second three point shot was pure coaching genius. Small balls he is not.

He knew how to get the most from Alan Houston, so he would be magic coaching either Rip or Ben Gordon. In this scenario, I hope Joe keeps Rip and signs Dre Miller and Ariza.
  19. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought the same thing. I was very skeptical at first. I've been burned by threads like that in the past. Usually, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
  20. basketbills

I agree. I like JVG but he painted himself into a corner. I'm not sure he'll ever coach again.