MICHAEL CURRY IS FIRED!!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by coynejeremy, Jun 30, 2009.

1. hlbimage

hlbimage First Round Draft Pick

I guess I'm a little late on this news but I must say it had to happened. I hope he finds another job soon in this economy. I never wishes bad on him but he really suck as a coach.

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Or maybe I was turning a lot of college papers in. Summer schedule is not too tough - should be able to talk to you all more now. Very happy that Curry is gone - but hey, a bit late. We already just lost one of our best defenders - Amir - most likely to support Curry. And now no Curry. But we ain't getting Amir back.

3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Orlando was the number 1 team in defensive efficiency this year as well as eFG%. The Lakers were inside the top 10 in most defensive categories.

4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

First Darko going to the Knicks, now this. Its an early basketball christmas for me, bristmas.

The only question I have, is the first article said it was unlikely that Laimbeer would be considered. What is it that Joe has against Bill?

Second, Joe never fires a coach without having someone in place, my money is on Collins.

Third, could Joe have had a worse year? Hiring Curry, overpaying JMax, trading CB to free cap space for Boozer? Oh yeah, Boozer didn't opt out. We traded CB to sign Ben Gordon or Hedo Turkoglu? :nerd2:

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Keep in mind that it is "per 100 possessions" in order to cancel out the different paces of different teams.

However, you are right that it is high compared to previous years. In our '04 year, we were spectacularly stingy at 96 points given up per 100 possessions.

The year before, we were at 103 and the year after, we were at at 101.

So, think of Orlando's defense as being on par with our defense back in '03 before we landed Sheed... and they are doing it with rules that make it tougher.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I didn't mind Collins when we had him, but I have no desire to see him coach this team again. When he bleached his hair as an announcer, I lost most respect for him. It made him seem really flaky/ vain/ and not like the kind of guy who can lay down the law in the locker room.

7. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Re: Terry Foster: Joe should coach the team

You got me there. Those two are not the most physically fit coaches. However, Joe looks really out of shape.

8. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Those are good by today's standard's. Besides Boston last year, we don't see teams with defensive efficiencies under 100 anymore.

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Re: Drew Sharp: Curry was sacrificed to appease potential FA's

I would have to sort through my 5200+ posts, but I know I will find one that I said that probably "NO viable FA would come to Detroit to play for Curry unless he was desperate for cash and did not care about winning." With next season possibly being worst than the previous one, Joe had to wake up smell the [STRIKE]roses[/STRIKE] the garbage and make this move.

I also indicated in the same post that NBA players talk and AI would definitely be bad mouthing Curry over summer as well as Sheed if he was not returning.

Speaking of AI, I wonder at this point what team will even pay AI more than $5 mill next season??...he may not even get an offer from anyone as Curry and THE trade may have ruined his career..:stirthepot:

:focus:

I kind of agree that Joe will probably pass on Lams as the head coach, but will insist on whomever is hired adds Laimbeer as an assistant.

On the other hand, Laimbeer is probably one of the few who would take the job not worrying about Joe's track record or letting you go at a moment's notice. Anybody else, Dougie, JVG, or Avery would or should be cautioned about working for Joe..:sssh:

10. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

I share those same sentiments Tashawn, I said to myself THANK the good Lord Joe D has not completely lost his mind yet! This was a move that just simply HAD to be done, so why continue procrastinating about it!!! Curry didn't even have good enough sense to at least try to establish a common ground with his best player (left)!?! One of the primary rules of coaching per the late great Chuck Daly is it's a PLAYER'S league, they allow you to coach them... Not to mention probably make a lot more money than their coach!
    Good move Joe Dumars, welcome back to the world the sane basketball lovers and Pistons fans... Now get on the horn and get us some LEGIT forwards/bigs on the roster, LET'S GO DETROIT PISTONS!!!!!

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hey Lee, the last we heard from you were tending your garden. Welcome back. It would be interesting to hear your take whom you think Joe should hire for the coach and make offers to via the FA.

12. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Ta, there is a lot of thruth to what you are saying. I clearly remember Collins BMC'ing with the Wizards. He stated that his locker room was full of players who openly challenged his authority, and were down right rude and disrespectful, and then he harped on how Michael was the only one that loved him on that team.

But with a younger team, Collins (a USA basketball Olympic hero), could work his magic. Its always a gamble is it it?

13. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

OK, so maybe Collins is way too high maintenance to be in the mix. Talk about LB wearing out his welcome. It appears he has nothing on Dougy C.

"His 21/2-year stint with the Pistons ended 12 years ago with Collins breaking down in tears in front of his players because he feared an impending team revolt. Dumars was one of the players."

Pistons had to dump Curry so free agents would come | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It's strange but watching them i don't think very good defensive team. I think "would have los to BOS had KG been healthy, had more match-up advantages against the Cavs then they could count, and then appropriately got beat by a better team".

15. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

I feel the same way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And Joe gotta be lyin when he said it was a hard decision. Come on Avery Johnson.

16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

DETNEWS | Weblogs | Pistons Blog

Our favorite writer weighs in . . .

More at the link

17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I think he's just regurgitating whatever we discuss here.

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

What an enormous blunder by Joe to hire Curry. All of Curry's failures and shortcomings are Joe's. Joe reached by taking him and God only knows what Joe saw in him, that he thought Curry could handle this team, handle AI and manage to mend fences.

19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I thought that before Curry was hired as head coach we could be sure that he got along well with the players. That was his strength. It's hard to figure how he alienated the team so quickly and thoroughly.

20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

With Chauncey I think Curry could've survived, hell Chuancey made Melo and K-Mart respect George Karl, a coach who both of them have been punking out for quite a while now. For all his faults Billups was good for doing the most of the fence mending around here, but we would only have been delaying the inevitable blowing up that this team needed/needs.