Michigan-Michigan State Mens basketball 2009-2010

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by LA Dre, Nov 27, 2009.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

2. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Borseth's fem-Wolverines lose last night. I really like Borseth, and not only because he is a Yooper, but a self made man. Started here in the Keweenaw at Michigan Tech, then moved to UW-GB, and now all the way to the Big Ten and U of M. Gotta love the guy. Fiery as all hell.
  3. max

max All-Star

I think its also a lot about attitude in how well college translates to the NBA. Someone like Shane Battier knew in his rookie season what he was capable of and what his role would be and worked to fit into it. Someone like Stuckey may have been the D.Wade of College but he will never be quick enough to pull it off the NBA, there is a role as a PG if he ever wants it.

Anyway. I don't know much about Butler. I was confusing them with Baylor all week thinking "didn't they lose last weekend". Show how much I know.

I don't want to see Duke in there. Hoping for a State-Virgina finals game.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

One of the sportscasters on ESPN or CBS made a comment last week that Izzo is a great coach that can get the most team work out of marginal players and none of his players will ever become superstars in the pros.

Somebody on this site said something similar stating his only pro success was MoPete, but I think we can say that Zach Randolph and Jason Richardson are probably better players than Mo and I would state that although Mateen was a great collegiate player, the Lakers Shannon Brown is head and shoulders above what Mateen ever was in his short pro career and will probably exceed the moderate success of Charlie Bell. Brown is the only Izzo coached Spartan with an NBA ring...

My favs or choice to dance the longest this weekend in order of preference would be the MSU, Butler, WVir and then.......Duke.
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Nice list. I agree, but you have Duke too high.

1. MSU

2 Butler

3. W. Virginia

64. Duke
  6. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

It'll be WV against MSU in the Final :) ...or maybe Butler :( ..They worry me. :fear:
  7. max

max All-Star

Definitely he is a great college coach. He knows how to build a team and I hope he tells Iowa ( or whoever that was ) to go to heck for their ill-timed offer.

We are thinking about these college players from an NBA draft perspective. In the draft NBA GM's look mainly for potential. I was not that impressed with Wall in the one game I saw but I can see how teams would want a young 6'5" quick PG with tons of upside. Wall has only just scratched the surface of his potential. Him and Cousins both may not be capable of winning it all now but they will be someday.

The rest of them, all the 6'1" PG's and 6'8" front court guys, have to place in the top 60 to get picked. Not even in the US, they also have to compete with all the foreign prospects. Its quit an accomplishment to be selected in the 2nd round let alone the 1st.
  8. LA Dre

If the tournament expands to 96 teams next season, then Manny should stay for his senior year so that he gets a chance to play in the big dance.....with no Manny next year, the Wolverines risk missing out of the big dance even with the super expanded field....

Being the projected as the 55th pick in the draft would tell me to stay in school and be the man next year to help bring the program back to prominence...
  9. BillLaimbeer

Manny is listed at #44 right here:

http://www.nbadraft.net/2010mock_draft
  10. LA Dre

44th would also tell me to stay in school since I would have to be on top of my game to get a contract.......Manny stay in school...its you best move...
  11. linwood

linwood All-Star

Great game right now. Butler and MSU tied up at 28 at the half.
  12. LA Dre

Too many missed FT and FG in the second half and then to hold Butler to one Fg in the last 11 mins and lose by two will haunt them all summer.

Nice season and tourney for the Spartans despite Lucas being out for the last 3 games
  13. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Listening to Sporting News Radio who agree the officiating was against MSU. They agree that Green was fouled on the last shot and they wonder how Butler can go 16 minutes in 2nd half with only 5 fouls and State was in the penalty at the 11 min mark. And how Butler attempted 21 3 pt baskets to MSU's 11 but out shot us from the Free throw line?Still. State missed too many free throws and too many TO's.

key boohoo's:

Morgan missed a 2 footer
    Roe missed a right handed layup
    Summers missed a free throw
    Allen made a sloppy turnover on an entry pass
    Green turned left on a shot attempt on the right side of the lane
    Thornton missed a wide open 3

All in all...we lost bcuz Morgan didnt show....again
  14. BillLaimbeer

I thought the officiating favored Butler, but the Spartans really played poorly. It's amazing they still almost won. Nice run for the Green and White!
  15. linwood

linwood All-Star

State picked up all the ticky-tack fouls and couldn't seem to draw a foul on Butler the whole game. Sure seemed like some home cooking for the underdog favorites.

That being said, make a few more free throws, win this game. These kids need to shoot about 1,000,000 FT's over the summer and win it all next year.
  16. detteam

detteam All-Star

Many ticky-tack fouls called on State (some taking Morgan out early) while Butler was hacking freely. If Butler could hit some shots it would have been a blowout. Not sure what the motivation was for such poor officiating tonight.

I'm definitely not a fan of Doook or WVA. This may be the lamest championship game, ever :P
  17. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

IZZO's press conference was awesome. He just said MSU will NEVER EVERRRR get outmuscled in a game again. WooHOO GO STATE!
  18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah. I agree. They did themselves proud making it to the final four.:)
  19. G-man

G-man Starter

The Spartans played most of the game with one hand tied behind their backs with all the phantom fouls. Butler essentially won the game at the free throw line. When Green got sandwiched and took the flying tackle to the head with no whistle being blown..it was over. It was a horribly officiated game that clearly seemed to indicate a bias towards the home team.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I thought I remember reading that he has a drill where they are allowed full contact in practice scrimmages. Supposed to make them tough.

I always thought that was a great idea.