Michigan-Michigan State Mens basketball 2009-2010

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by LA Dre, Nov 27, 2009.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Funny quote by Izzo. Their early schedule is brutal. They have taken a few on the chin now. It usually bodes well for March, though, when it really matters.

2. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Looking at this team early, maybe it wasn't such a tragedy I didn't re-up my Izzone tickets for the season.

Kalin doesn't look the same, Summers still can't shoot off the dribble (seriously, what the hell does he work on in the offseason?), and the big men aren't coming up big. Still a guard defendant team. Roe is so talented. I'm not sure if he still can be the player I though out of HS with the injuries, but I'd love to see it. Dreymond has been impressive.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Spartans started in the top 5 in the country and have slipped every week..can't blame it all on this player's shooting woes, but him getting dismissed can cause a distraction for a week or so and possibly give the Wolverines a chance to beat them for first time in years in E Lansing, but the way the Wolves have played lately, doubt that it will occur....

5. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Can't believe the "stand around and launch 3's" offense doesn't work for Michigan.

6. LA Dre

The problem is their little guards can't penetrate and even when it appears they are ready to, the dribble it in and then pass it back out.....Its been that way since Beiline showed up. It works in non-conference play, but not in Big 10 play.

7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

JIMMERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

8. LA Dre

1181 days since the last time a Michigan Football or Basketball team has beaten Michigan State...

The Streak is broken as the young Wolverines hang on to win 61-57....big three pointer by Stu Douglass with 20 seconds left on the clock was the clencher as it put the Wolves up by 5 with less than 20 on the clock.

Woverines missed 5 free throws and including 3 straight front in of a one and one situations so the three ball, one of 10 made by Michigan was the semi-dagger that sent folks in green and white at the Breslin Center home in shock.

Not sure who wanted this game more...Kalin Lucas or Zack Novak or Tom Izzo...

9. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Wolverines outhustled the Spartans. I didn't expect that from an Izzo coached team, especially at the Breslin. Spartans now out of the running for the Big Ten.

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Congratulations Wolverines!

I wonder if one or both teams will make the dance so we can see who loses in the first round by fewer points. Looks like we won't be painting the forum green this year...

Why are we still using this old thread???

11. LA Dre

Re: Michigan-Michigan State Mens basketball 2010-2011

No excitement in the big 10 outside the Buckeyes so no new thread was created...both teams with 12 wins and about 10 or 11 games left. Neither will get to 20 unless they advance to the Big 10 Tournament championship game...

Maybe one or both get in the Not Invited Tournament

12. linwood

linwood All-Star

Damn. Too bad Sparty is struggling. Durrell Summers is a hard working guy, and he needs a good run by the Spartans to go to the next level.

I love Michigan State basketball. Unlike my other favorite college team (Kentucky) and other big name programs, State is truly a local team. Look at their roster. They don't have McDonald's All Americans. Their team isn't based on international recruiting or Nike scouts. These are Michigan kids, with a few from Ohio and and maybe Indiana.

Go Sparty!

13. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

With Michigan's victory over Michigan State in basketball recently, the Wolverines erased a 1,181-day drought during which Michigan State teams in football and men's basketball had not lost a single game to the Wolverines. Four MSU fans had the numbers, 1-1-8-1 painted on their chests. I'm not sure what is more surprising, the fact that UM beat MSU or that four MSU fans could actually add this large a number.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, and it only took four of them to do it. Very impressive!

15. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

I'd be more inclined to believe Summers is hard working if he had actually developed an off the dribble jumper at any point during his tenure here. Seems the only way he can score is spot up jumpers and alley oops.

16. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Michigan is 16-10 (6-7) while State is 14-10 (6-6)

If Michigan can win 3 of their last 5, I believe they'll be in the tourney.
    A victory over MSU for their 3rd victory of this stretch, in their final game would seal it. I like the recent play of their guards as they're penetrating more and also dishing the ball out, still shooting the 3 point bombs. This recent surge could do it for the team. I wonder if MSU can make it also...

17. Darth Tater

Go Michigan.

18. LA Dre

Michigan's RPI is 58 and MSU's RPI is 48.

I am also thinking three more wins by the Wolverines and maintaining a sup 60 RPI gets them in.

A victory over OSU next week and another quality win gets MSU in.

19. LA Dre

Michigan blows an opportunity tonight to get a quality win over #12 Wisconsin and possibly secure a bid to the big dance......but after holding the Badgers to 50 pts and no pts over a 2 minute span to end the game, they leave a man wide open for game winning 3 pointer to suck the wind out of the Wolverine faithful. It was shades of last years loss to the Buckeyes when they got beaten on a game winning half court three by Evan Turner.

Michigan didn't help their cause by missing their last five FTA including the front end of a 1 and 1 with less than 30 seconds in the game that would have put them up at least 3 or 4 pts.

SMH on these hard luck Wolverine losses. They will have to win out and get at least two wins in the big 10 tournament to get in now.

Final score Wisconsin 53-Michigan 52

20. Darth Tater

Uggh. Sorry, Dre. Sounds like they played tough.

Next year we really gotta start a new thread people.