Michigan stunned by Appalachian State

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by ggazoo69, Sep 1, 2007.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

34-32 was the final with App. State kicking a late field goal.

Gotta be the most embarrassing moment in UM football history. Enjoy it State fans! :pound:
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

:djparty::dancingparty::ner-ner::whoo::roll:
  3. ggazoo69

LOL Tater!
  4. Darth Tater

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Blame this on shoddy defense in the first half and terrible defense in the last 2 minutes. We have seen this scenario before. Some bad calls by Carr to go with Henne's somewhat shoddy passing. Ammarti Edwards an undefeated 19 year old sophomore for Appalachian State clearly outplayed Henne with sone on the mark passes and nice running up the middle.

A great game by Hart, but for some reason I guess due to a minor thigh injury, he was held out for key parts of the game....He scored 3 of Michigans TD's and had 188 yeards, but when he could have been out there to extend a series on a third down or even been there for the two - 2 point conversions, he was not on the field. :confused:

The new kicker had two kicks blocked and on that last one, the blocker was not even touched. Two 2 point conversions were muffled. Special teams and defense need to be analyzed here.

Applachian State is the defending back to back D-2 champions so they were no slouch, but Carr obviously will be subject to criticism for not having his team prepared to play today. Apple State can now take their $400,000 payday for coming to the bighouse to be a patsy and laugh at the overated Wolverines all way back to North Carolina.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Going for a 2-point PAT in the 3rd quarter is almost always the wrong decision.
  7. ggazoo69

Dre, I didn't see the game but it sounds like many things went perilously wrong for UM. I hate to see them lose like this to App. State in a home opener. It doesn't seem right for some reason.

However, I would like to see UM alums come down hard on Carr and the coaching staff. I think powerful alums need to call for Carr's head to get that do-nothing AD at UM to do something about the head coach situation there.
  8. LA Dre

Me and the wife watched it on the Big 10 net. It looked bad in the first half. Apple state was just to quick and it took the Wolverines awhile to figure out what they were doing. Too many mistakes on both sides of the ball and some bad play calling. Like Fleabag said on the Big10 Det news sites, this will be another ESPN Classic where Michigan is on the losing end. :nod: Team captains Mike Hart & Jake Long came out and did the press conference as Carr was to ashamed make an appearance.
  9. ggazoo69

Gutless move by Carr if you ask me. He's the coach. The buck should stop with him.

The weird thing is, I think UM will still regroup and play well in the Big 10. No national title chance this year but if they beat OSU and MSU, UM fans can say, "Hey, you lost to the team that lost to Appalachian State!" :pound:
  10. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

:dancingparty: :dancingparty: :dancingparty: :dancingparty: :dancingparty: :dancingparty: :dancingparty: :dancingparty: :dancingparty: :dancingparty: :dancingparty: :dancingparty: :dancingparty: :dancingparty: :dancingparty: :dancingparty: :dancingparty: :dancingparty: :dancingparty: :dancingparty:
  11. ggazoo69

Hey Buck,

C'mon, that's not like an OSU fan. Normally, Buckeye fans want UM to be ranked as high as possible before Tressell takes Carr to the woodshed. What gives?
  12. Buckeyes#1

I've never never never never never ever rooted for UM. I just can't justify it for ANY reason. As far as what's good for OSU, I think that depends on UM. If they hold on to Carr after this year or promote from within, I think this could be devestating to them. Especially with little tressel in East Lansing. I think Dantonio is really going to turn that program around. If UM takes their dominance of MSU lightly, that could be a huge mistake. UM could really take a hit recruiting wise so that is another reason for me to celebrate. It could backfire though. They may just clean house and not promote from within. That could be bad news. From what I hear though, UM likes to promote from within, which is fine with me! :MusicBigGrin:

I do have a number of UM friends over at detnews Big Ten forum so I can't bring myself to rub it in over there. I don't know too many UM fans here so I guess I was letting my excitement out of the bag. I am still in complete shock. I think UM will recover in time for the OSU game. I expect a tough game in November. I MUST tease razor over there though. I won't be able to take it if I didn't. Razor was just on a radio program talking about how UM will finish #2 this year. Wow. I can't wait to remind him of that. I will after all these new name posters fall away. As you know, anytime there is a major event, you get a slew of people coming out of the woodwork you have never seen before.
  13. ggazoo69

Yeah, don't let Razor get away with that. LOL. I hope UM does not promote within. AD and the head football coach should both be shown the door. Maybe this is the silver lining in all of this for UM fans.
  14. Buckeyes#1

Here is what I will post over there when the time is right. :pound:

Fri. 08/24/07 03:07 PM
    radio predictions

The Buzz crew made our preseason picks today. One of interest here is the Top 5 teams. Mine was:

5. Florida
    4. West Virginia
    3. Texas
    2. Michigan
    1. USC

Here's my rationale as to why and how: USC, Michigan, Texas and West Virginia all go undefeated. The SEC champ, Florida, gets beaten somewhere.

Texas, getting a boost from their conference title game, vaults into the BCS title game against USC. USC kills them.

Michigan and West Virginia play, with Michigan winning a shootout.

Michigan moves up to #2 in the final poll.

I could be wrong here.

Let the debating begin.
    michigan razorback, little rock, ar
  15. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

Lloyd needs to be fired. Our AD needs to realize that when you schedule a second-tier school, you will always lose. Win big? That's great! You beat a bowl-subdivision team. Lose? BIGGEST UPSET IN NCAA FOOTBALL HISTORY OMG ESPNGASM. He also needs to realize that you don't schedule a team that's won back-to-back national championships, not matter how bad they appear on paper. These subdivision teams are not known quantities. Play FIU, or UAB. My God. Give me another school to root for. I've had it with the incompetence. I live in Michigan, but I'm just not feeling anything they do. Constantly overrated. Outcoached. Underachieving. Give me another university to root for after two more disappointing seasons, Buckeyes#1. Give me hope by recruiting a quarterback with speed faster than a 5.1 40. Carr doesn't deserve to coach the winningest program in college football history. After this loss I can only hope God takes pity on Lloyd and gives him a personality.
  16. LA Dre

Does anybody know exactly when App state was scheduled? I know some games scheduled 5 years in advanced. Did they have a 2 -10 season a few years back and Michigan scheduled them just to be a cupcake on the schedule?

Obviously they looked at both the OSU and USC games tapes and knew where the Wolverines flaws were defensively. Of course it also appears that Carr and his staff didn't look at Apple State's D-2 championship game. The have now won 15 in a row and the Wolverines have lost 3 in a row.
  17. max

max All-Star

This is what I hate about college football. One loss in the 1st game and the whole season is toast.

Unlike MSU fans the goal ever year is to be the #1 team and not simply to beat 1 or 2 rivals. There is no way Michigan is going to be in that championship game now.
  18. Darth Tater

LOL.
    Take your cheap shots at MSU in your teams misery and humiliation. MSU never lost to Appalachian State. But I guess as you say...our goal isn't to schedule automatic wins so we can be the #1 team.

Oh and by the way, MSU won 55-18 today.

U of M is the laughingstock of the nation today.
    Even in MSU's lowest moment they never sunk that low.

Yep, this one loss cooked U of M.
    Do they deserve any better? Do they deserve a National Championship. Sounds like a sense of entitlement to me.

Perhaps they can schedule a High school team for their first game next year. :pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:I love it...I tell you...I love it! :stirthepot:
  19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I have mixed loyalties. I'm a long-time U 0f M fan but I'm sending much of my paycheck to MSU for my daughter's tuition. This is possibly the biggest upset in the history od college football...there is no way this can be swept undet the carpet. Lloyd Carr did something worse than Gary Moeller could even imagine....this is the end for Carr.
  20. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Carr has totally lost it. This will be his last season no doubt. The special team play has been bad for 4 seasons now. When will somebody get it fixed? If a starter is not getting the job done he shoud be benched. Open it up to some competition. They said on the news that the people from Boone, Montana were dancing in the street when the buzzer sounded. They shocked the world.

Hart is soft and injury prone. I don't know how he thinks he is going to survive in the NFL when the players are bigger, stronger and faster.