1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Michigan stunned by Appalachian State

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by ggazoo69, Sep 1, 2007.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

LOL. Michigan has much bigger problems than getting to the national championship game. They are the laughing-stock of college athletics right now.

2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That's true. They will never live down this game. Appalachian State will never forgrt it.

3. max

max All-Star

Thats what I mean. 1st game and the seasons already over. What other sport is that unforgiving?

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Here is a team that thought they should be playing for the national championship 9 months ago, now they can't play for national title this year even if they won their remaining 10 or 11 games and every other team in Div 1 has at least two losses. Ranking wise, they save a little face by coming back to lead for 2 mins, but if they had lost 28-14 or by more than 2 TD's they probably drop out of the top 25.

Michigan needs a convincing win over Oregon to save Carr's job temporarily, but a loss to the Ducks and then one to offensively challenged Fighting Irish the week after next then I think Carr is fired the next morning.

Did anybody notice on that last play how two Mountaineers lined up on the right side and there was only one Wolverine lined up to block them and he missed both of them....

5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Just listened to Lloyd's presser. Geez, what a joke this guy is. I would've preferred a John L. Smith "weirdo" tirade to Lloyd's dead-dull reaction to this. I guess he was just in shock.

He also made a few thinly veiled attacks on his "young players." What a wuss.

I wish he'd worn a different shirt other than one with an "M" on it for the presser.

I used to be a huge UM fan. I even attended the '97 title game in Pasadena. But over the years as I have watched a gutless coach squander opportunity after opportunity, I have been unable to support this team wholeheartedly. There is something to be said for running a relatively clean program and graduating players. I do think those things are important. But I also think a coach needs to be evaluated on achieving potential in ALL areas. That's why John L. Smith had to go. His teams played well the first halves of seasons and then went to sleep. At least MSU knows when to dump their coaches. After all, they've had a lot of practice.

6. LA Dre

He did look like he was in a state of shock with those thick glasses. As far as the shirt with the 'M" on it, I bought 3 Michigan t-Shirts when I was back in Detroit in July, and now I don't when I will be able to wear them without someone laughing and bringing up this game.

Then again I brought some new Piston T shirts and a Tiger old english 'D" shirt and I'm stiil waiting for the tigers to wake up so that I wear that Tiger one proudly somewhere :sssh: > Hopefully the Piston shirts don't remain folded in my drawer all winter like the Michigan shirts might be...

7. ggazoo69

Dre, this UM loss reminds me, for some reason, of the Webber called timeout in the title game. Just made me want to hang my head. People kept saying to me, "Hey, could you take a timeout and come over here?" :pound:

8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's a major qualm I have with college football. The NBA might arguably have too many games, but at least the best team generally wins, which appeals to me. That and I still can't keep track of all the divisions, conferences, bowls, BCS, etc in college sports. Oh well, I'm on a high right now because BYU just won their season opener against Arizona and it was my first in-stadium football game on any level. Just a blast. :)

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Michigan paid those guys $400,000 to come into their house and take a butt whooping.

It's kind of like the Washington Generals getting paid to lose to the Globetrotters...but guess what??? The Generals pull a fast one...

ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL:p_welldone::rofl:

10. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Ohio State had better watch out now. There is nothing else that can "save" UM's season other than beating Ohio State. Not even a Big 10 'ship would save it for them.

It is a very big thing to ruin your season in the first game, but that is what UM did today.

That's gonna leave a mark!!!

11. LA Dre

I know what ya mean Zoo, I am a huge Michigan fan even though I am an EMU alumni. (I think we lost to Pitt today..again) Every Wolverine FB loss to Notre dame, OSU or a bowl game loss where they were just edged out, I feel bad and want to kick the dog...(sorry PETA).. I felt the same way when the BB team lost to Indiana in 1976, NC Charlotte in 77, and Duke and North Carolna in 92 and 93. :(

I will be over this loss probably in a couple of days, but I know the folks around AA will be walking around sayin this is F'up for at least another week or so listening to the local media and the guys from PTI, Around the Horn, the Sports Reporters and Jim Rome, ragging on the Wolverines...

12. max

max All-Star

I went there so I am naturally stuck being a fan. I may catch at most a game and usually try and watch waterver bowl game they are in so this is not as crushing for me as other fans.

13. detteam

detteam All-Star

I have the opposite situation. As a State grad, I've always despised UM...until my daughter started going there last fall. She has a student season ticket. I called her a couple times after the game to razz her a little, but only got her voicemail...I don't think she wants to talk to me LOL!

Carr gotta hit the road.

14. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I wish I could be like you. Thank g-d the game was not on TV, I might have broken it.

But then it got worse, I read that if Carr implodes this season, he may want to come back, just to prove this year was a fluke.

Somebody fire his stone-aged coaching, non-adjusting, wrong qb starting, butt now.

15. ggazoo69

This sums it up very well, 16. UM alums need to be out in full force on AD Bill Martin's butt.

16. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I have always backed Lloyd Carr the same way I back Flip Saunders. At this point I've always been able to accept losses to good teams like OSU, Notre Dame, and Southern Cal. Even losing to lower eschelon teams like Eastern Michigan, Michigan State, and Indiana isn't so bad because almost all teams lose at least one bad game per season. Losing to Apple State is completely unacceptable because their in 1AA. I would propose that Lloyd Carr step down after this season. He is to blame for this loss. He was unable to make adjustments during the game that would have stopped this embarrassment. I can no longer support him as coach. As far as MSU is concerned........let them have their cake, since they don't get to taste excellence very often.............

17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Huh? What is the criteria for being considered a lower echelon team? Losing to a 1AA school? Or even scheduling one in the first place because they are afraid to lose to a decent team and then complaining they never should have scheduled them in the first place? :pound::pound:

Yessir...the cake is indeed yummy.:chef2: And there is plenty to go around for the entire college sports world to enjoy.

18. Nemo

If you're not sure what a lower eschleon football program consists of, just look at the MSU record for the last 20 or so years. After so many years of futility and frustration, you folks deserve to gloat, even if for a little while. I've always figured that MSU should change its football mascot from "Sparty" to "Frusty".......:frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:......:)

19. detteam

detteam All-Star

My daughter keeps telling me that MSU means nothing to UM, but it looks like the old MSU trashing is a UM fan's only consolation now :tinfoil3::violin:

20. Nemo

Michigan deserves the slams for losing such a game. I'm saddened myself. Just defending the Maize and blue for its good history.....