Michigan stunned by Appalachian State

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by ggazoo69, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'm looking forward to the game this year...unfortunately, the team that has nothing to play for usually wins. That's bad news for the Sparty's! :caked:
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

From the sound and look of things so far, Dantonio may be finally changing all of that :fingerscr

Spartans roll in Dantonio's debut, rock on after U-M's loss
  3. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Count me in as a Sparty fan now. Got the S on the hat instead of an M.
  4. detteam

detteam All-Star

I've been re-thinking my position on Lloyd and have decided that the longer they keep him, the better. :D :stirthepot:

I don't think it's happened yet, but he is on his way to being a detriment to one of the best recruiting programs in the nation.
  5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

actually i don't think michigan has had a top 10 recruiting class in a few years.... we are getting nowhere the talent potential that ohio state and other major programs have been the last few years, I think we were a year to late in showing carr the door.... should have made a run for the former grandvalley state coach, his style of coaching with major recruiting pull.... would have been fun.
  6. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

UM opponents should all be thinking that way. However, UM should be pretty focused the rest of the season -- at least one would think. I think App State got their attention. It should be an interesting rest of the season to say the least.

I think App State, with its speed, could have beaten a lot of other D-I teams, but Michigan shouldn't be one of them.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Michigan has had between the 5th best and 13th best recruiting classes in the nation each of the last 4 years. They are always among the elite. They are currently ranked 10th for the 2008 class.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/TeamRank.asp?postype=0&sort=0&year=2004
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The recruiting may be decent, but then the coaches have to know what to with the talent once they arrive on campus. They still are lacking speed at some of the key postions on defense and hopefully once current coaching regime is gone,:sssh: they can recruit the type of QB that usually beats them..:stirthepot:.

Applachian State probably could have scored 28 points on most div 1 teams they would have played Saturday, but still should have lost as most top 15 teams should have laid 45 on them and still won. (including Michigan)
  9. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

Lloyd Carr = John Cooper
  10. ggazoo69

11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

[​IMG]

This photo is from the Appalachian State Newspaper. The whole campus went crazy after the victory.
  12. ggazoo69

13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I think Michael Rosenberg's Freep article put things in perspective:

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070904/COL22/709040355/1048/SPORTS

He has had tremendous success...and after I have calmed down from my initial anger, it's easier to see the big picture.
  14. LA Dre

Like one of the articles says, Appalacian State could be betetr than a host of Div 1 schools including all in the MAC and probably could have beaten one or two other big 10 teams. The problem is "M" wasn't prepared and probably took the Mountaineers for granted.

Jim Rome questioned why the Wolverines would schedule a team that won back to back national championships?? Well maybe they need a team like this to show them what needs to be fix..however much to their chagrin they thought they would win it. To put in perpective, the mens BB team needs to schedule more games vs tough opponents in the first couple of games to to get their season in gear instead of getting blown out by UCLA and Duke at the end of their non-conference schedules....:stirthepot:
  15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Ouch:

ESPN - Michigan on outside looking in at Top 25 - College Football

16. ggazoo69

Great post, Dre. I had no trouble with them scheduling App. State. Rome is an idiot, at least for that comment.

D4E, UM never shoulda been at No. 5 to begin with.
  17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    He did have tremendous success and it is a great achievement. The question in my mind is whether someone else could achieve more with this team. This also reminds me of the situation with Pistons where there's possibly a team worthy a championship, but it stops a step or two from reaching the summit.
  18. LA Dre

To bad Appalachian State did not qualify to get one of the "others receiving votes".:)

No big deal...Michigan should forget about last Saturday and just concentrate on winning the next two ABC televised games to get some credibility back. It may take all season to get back in the top 25 but who cares, just work on the D and win the next 6 (5 are at home). Dropping them out of the top 25 was a knee jerk reaction by all of the voters as the hype was in full affect after the blocked FG attempt. Now if they they lose to both Oregon and the Irish the next couple of weeks then yes the full drop was justified. Wonder how far they would have dropped if they actuall made that FG and won the gane by a point??

Unfortunately for Michigan, Apple State does not have another team on their schedule that they could prove to anyone that the Michigan win was legit. In other words they should roll thru their schedule with ease with a bunch of no name stiffs like Wofford, Furman, Chattanooga, Etc.
  19. detteam

detteam All-Star

Did UM schedule App State after last season or a year or two before?

If they scheduled it after last season, then that WAS a stupid question by Rome...what would perennial powerhouse UM have to fear from a I-AA, [sarcasm]irregardless[/sarcasm] of record?
  20. detteam

detteam All-Star

From what I read, the App State fans went to their 16,000 seat stadium and tore down the goalposts after the game.