Middleton vs. 2013 draft class

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Whether its a starter or backup remains to be seen but he belongs in the NBA. For a 39th overall pick, that not too shabby. It doesn't look like he's really outperformed his draft position in a deep draft but he could be argued as 1st round talent.

In the last 8 games in April he shot 40% from 3pt land, shot 52% and put up 8pts 3 reb and 1.8 assists. Not bad for the third banana on the fruit salad of Detroit development.

If he stuck it out and came out this year, how would he fare against 2013 prospects? Mid 1st? Late Lottery? Anyone up on their college prospects to have a good comparison?
  2. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

39th.

I thought this guy was a a scrub and everyone but Lee was joking about his awesomeness. Are you?
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I knew if Lee liked him, he had to be good. Lee was also high on Rodney White, Sammy Mejia and "Glinny"...so when Middleton started playing some good minutes at the end of the season, it was no surprise to me.
  4. Slippy

I am making a highlight reel so he looks like an all-star. Of course, its only 15 sec. long...
  5. linwood

linwood All-Star

Top 5 draft pick, sitting right there on the bench.
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Someday, Khris Middleton will make us all forget that Terrico White ever existed.
    S.J. likes this.
  7. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

In my opinion he has already surpassed Walter Sharpe
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

You probably shouldn't start drinking so early in the day.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like her better than anyone in the 2013 draft class.

[​IMG]
    The Panda and Slippy like this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

2013 draft is weak ass.

Middleton could be a steal. Was glad to see him play some half decent minutes. I reckon he has the talent to be a good backup at this point, anything more than that will be harder.
  11. J-Train

J-Train Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Weak ass doesn't even begin to describe it. Most years Middleton would be a late lottery/ mid-first guy. That's probably where he would have gone if not for the injury. In this draft, he's a top ten pick.

He reminds me a lot of Rip Hamilton, when Rip was a rookie. Fast, runs the floor, has a nice one and two dribble pull up jumper, doesn't kill the ball, and can catch and shoot. Rip was more aggressive and had a purer stroke. Can Middleton find a way to get 15 quality shots? A lot of people forget that Rip really developed his screen game, over the course of 3-4 years, in order to create more scoring opportunities for himself, either through a drive to the hoop or a pull up jumper. He didn't have the kind of first step that can automatically create space for a pull up jumpers consistently. By 2004 Rip had mastered the art of using screens, and he was ready to fire as soon as he came free. But in Washington, Rip used screens to get his man out of position in order to hit him with a quick pull up jumper, off of the bounce.

Middleton will have to continue to refine his game if he wants to be more than a 20 minute guy, but he has Rip Hamilton level talent. Can he somehow find the way to get 15 quality shots a game? If so, then he could be an 18 point scorer.
    basketbills and Slippy like this.
  12. Slippy

Sometimes we like things because it jives with our opinions and other times its because the writing kicks ass. This is the second one. Thanks J-train.
  13. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

He could be the next Jerry Stackhouse.
    basketbills likes this.
  14. J-Train

J-Train Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Thanks. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that's he's the second coming of Rip, just that they have a similar skill set as rookies. Rip was always a scorer. He was always looking to get 20 points. I don't see that with Middleton. I would be happy if Middleton could average 14 points in 30 minutes, which is possible.
  15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Middleton seems like he can develop into a player that can create his own shot on isos. He's got decent size and can play both wing positions. After watching him play for long stretches, he is very intriguing. If he can consistently hit the 3 and improve a bit on defense he can be a key piece.

Respectfully, I think the only similarity between him and Rip is the jersey number they wear.