Midseason stuff from McCoskey today

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I have not figured out the link thing yet, so anyone else feel free to do the links for me.

McCoskey posted 2 articles. One on midseason performance of the players, and one on an interview with Dumars.

What I get from what McCoskey is saying / reporting is that Joe Dumars is not satisfied with what is going on, and is continuing to push for change. Lack of depth is something he specifically cited. In my opinion, he is trying to hint to Saunders that Amir should be playing, as our bigs positions is clearly been hurting us for lack of depth.

But Saunders was quoted thus about playing the bench and keeping the starters minutes down: "Thats all that can be expected."

I say, no, Dumars obviously expects more, and Saunders needs to start listening.

Also, he slams Amir, saying Amir has shown nothing warranting more minutes. But on December 16, Amir played awesome, in a undecided game that got decided by his play. But Amir has not seen a single moment in an undecided game since. Further, Amir had a few appearances in the first few days of December, where he put up very good numbers in short minutes. So I ask, just where is McCoskey coming from, save regurgitating something Saunders fed him.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Just copy the address and paste it into your post. It's very simple at Pistonsforum.com (not like other, more difficulty, cumbersome, and clumsy forums).

Chris McCosky's midseason report
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I read one of them this morning; don't remember which. It got me angry, b/c Amir wasn't even mentioned at all. The article was specifically talking about the bench, and how Flip has "developed" them.

I read what Joe said, and it irritated me as well. I don't care if he's hinting at Amir. He needs to come out and say it. In the beginning of the year he was adamant that Amir would be in the rotation, and now . . .?

I can't really gauge his reaction anymore. I thought he was pretty clear in what he wanted before the season, but actions speak louder than words.
  5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Lee, your mistake of your analysis is that you...how to say... are not very open-minded. That Amir -thing seems to be some idee-fixe for you. Do not blame pepole for that they do not give answers you so desperately want to hear. God thanks still, yo're a longtime poster, I'm reading your posts and generally I agree with you, but not of everything.

And you should know that it is not dumars style to give clear-cut answers.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A of people are coming up with the same conclusion as me this morning from reading the same thing. Are you sure you are not the one with an impediment to clear thinking, like rose colored glasses perhaps?
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Do take time to read both, even though it will get you even angrier, as Amir is mentioned in the 2nd one, in a negative way. We can't counter arguments we do not read.
  8. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Problem is that fans:
    1. take those quotes from team representatives word for word or
    2. Try to find various "hidden messages"

But what I believe is that for coaches and GM-s and such are those press-conferences ( and other forms of media) pure annoyance and therefore they try get over with those as fast as possible. Ok, larry brown-likes may really enjoy media attention, but there aren't many.

Fans may chew those messages and quotes for many months but I'm sure those sources do not even remember day after what they had said day before. Usually sources have more important to do than remember such things.

And keep that in mind that coaches do not want to solve lockerroom problems publicly. They may even defend player in press-conference but in lockerroom says to player what he really thinks of him.
  9. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

This is what McCosky had to say about Amir. I've really never liked his writing so I try to avoid reading his stuff. I just have to say...I don't like how he says Johnson needs consistency - consistency where? On the floor? There can be no consistency without consistent playing time. It's the same as Langlois saying Amir needs experience to improve, which is much more frustrating because it's so obvious, and yet no one's even pretending like he's gonna get any time (which is what's needed here) to acquire that experience/court savvy/consistency.

I do like this statement, though, since it shows Joe's vision extends beyond just the record. I hope this means we're gonna be active come the trade deadline.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Well, I read both those articles and would give them an "A".

Seriously, I thought he was right on the money and kept it all in perspective. Imagine that you are the average to below average fan and you are getting your information about the Pistons from his articles. I would say that after reading that, you'd be ready to join this forum.

I can see where you might have a problem with his line about Amir, but that is about the only place where he just spit out the company line IMO.

As far as Joe's quote, "I think we have one of the deepest teams in the league, but I think we can be even deeper."

I guess you could take that as a) Amir should be a part of what we have, or b) we're going to get more depth (Webber, or similar).
  11. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Quotes from Dumars:

"I think we have one of the deepest teams in the league," he said. "But I think we can be even deeper."

"Like I said, we are deep but I think we can get deeper," Dumars said.

Sounds to me like Joe is talking about replacing somebody on the roster with another player who can actually contribute. "getting deeper" don't mean play the guys you have more. It means adding more depth. C-Webb would do that.
  12. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Maybe in Joe's mind; Webber is still on the team. Just assumes he will be there when Joe calls him.
  13. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

That's been the deal all along, provided we (a) could stay under the lux cap and (b) have a roster spot open. That's not to say some true contender might swoop him up at the last moment. Or that Joe is able to parlay our fodder into another suitable big man. Just depends.

Don't cha just love the suspense? :cold:
  14. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

The Pistons love Maxey's game. As long as that continues, AJ's minutes with us will be garbage time only unless AJ bulks up over the summer and improves his defense.

He will then be able to play the #4 and the #5 so Flipper will play Maxey and AJ at the same time.

:hoops:
  15. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I would assume that Joe and Flip Saunders meet on a weekly basis to discuss many things including personnel. At least every other week. Gotta believe that Joe is discussing his opinions on what he likes and dislikes about the season so far.........
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Uh, your thinking is just plain far fetched here. Joe Dumars gives an exclusive interview to McCoskey and you think its all just random sound bites misconstrued? It addresses what the fans are hollering about at the moment. I ask again, are you sure you are not the one that can't see things straight for your heavy bias?
  17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'm with rax here...to me, people are looking too hard at individual sentences and words
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

McCoskey trying to keep the Pistons season in perspective:

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sounds like the stress is getting to him. Maybe he should pick an easier subject to write about.
  20. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

those 2 ECF losses have really affected the fan base.