Midseason stuff from McCoskey today

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Jan 21, 2008.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    He's been snipping back at fans quite often as of late. He hasn't been posting much in terms of constructive stuff, and hasn't posted often to his blog even though he said he would. Anyway, does it really matter what homie is saying?

2. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

Where's McCosky?

I see in today's Detroit News (1/24/08), McCosky was nowhere to be found. Joan Gerstner wrote a couple of very favorable articles about how well the Pistons, their bench and AJ played in the 76ers game.

3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    He is tired. :gun1::gun1::gun1:

4. hangtime

hangtime First Round Draft Pick

McCoskey keeps harping on 29-12. That is way too simplistic a reference point! You have to look at how they play and who they've played to achieve that record. The issue is consistent; bench development. My fear is that when the playoffs roll around we won't see any of these young guys. We'll get a steady dose of Lindsey and Flip 2 and either Webber (although I don't think we'll sign him) or some other trade deadline vet. We will also see Hayes mins go way way down just like Mo Evans and the Mo Evans clone (who's name escapes me) from the year before. That seems to bet the M.O. every year.

5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Sky is falling, right?

6. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Yes, that's exactly what hangtime said: the sky is falling.

You've ferreted it out.

7. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

A true believer of conspirational theories can ferret out absolutely everything.

8. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Well, by all means, don't stop believin'.

9. hangtime

hangtime First Round Draft Pick

I am still believin'. And I am not saying the sky is falling. All I am pointing out is that any playing time for the young guys (except Max) will be for naught when the playoffs come because we will again hear about "shortening the bench".
    I still think we have a great team with a good chance to reach the finals. Even as we are constructed now I don't believe any in the East, even Boston, can beat us in 7.

10. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Shortening the bench in PO-s is't a sort of mantra, reasoning behind of this is a fact that in PO-s trying times are over, only capable players should play. And fact is that most rookies are not capable of handling PO intensity. Therefore pistons will be extremly lucky if 2 rookies(AA,RS) and and practically rookie( AJ) will be ready to support ... They have no idea, how PO-s look like...

Ice under pistons feet is extremly thin.

11. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

hold on to that feeeelieeeeein

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well now, fast forward a couple of weeks. Quite interesting indeed. We have had a conversation here about that conversation (supposed) between Saunders and Dumars. The change has been made. Dumars got what he was hinting at. McCoskey as usual proves to be lamely wrong.

With this said, is the change really made though? If Saunders would have played Amir in the 2nd half of the last game. If he had any imagination at all and could have figured out to put him into the game when we were up 25 points with 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, then I would say the change was made. But instead, we get a lame excuse from Flip as to why Amir could not get 2nd half minutes. (Too lame to even mention.) There are still going to be doubters. I can't blame them.

Indiana is coming up next on the schedule. A weak team for sure. If Saunders can't cement the change in this game by playing Amir another good 15 solid minutes, then when will it ever happen? Stay tuned. I bet a whole lot of fans, deciding on whether to attend the Palace more this year, are keeping track.

13. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

1. I do not think, that Dumars decides how many minutes somebody gets. He has confessed that interfering a coach was a mistake and he isn't going to repeat it.
    2. Do not expect that every adjustment will be sucessful. There will be some failed experiments in the future (as shortening the bench was) but that's what season is for.
    3.I extremly highly doubt that Palace attendance depends on ONE benchplayer.For you may be this the most important thing but for the others...??

14. max

max All-Star

In the post game after Johnsons 1st outing Flip said that he was playing him because Maxiel needed a break. So he is still the 4th big and I would not expect him to play over 10 MPG very often based on that. But he will play. As long as he stays ahead of the 2 new guys he will play. He has moved from #6 to #4 on the depth chart and that is quit a promotion.

I consider McCosky as the Piston mouthpiece for all practicle purposes. If he is talking up Amir then things are looking good for him. Not too long ago McCosky was writing about how Amir was not ready and foul prone and all that.

Also who knows if Amir even may be able to beat out Maxiel on the depth chart and move into #3. I think the opportunity exists anyway.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'd like to see Maxiell vs. Amir 1on1, call your own. Would be a good game I think.

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Its not just Amir. Afflalo makes a difference too. This is not an opinion of mine, but what people tell me. People were quite excited about the Pistons back in November, with Afflalo and Amir playing, and the promise of Stuckey playing also. The excitement died. And if you attended games, the empty seats speak volumes. Despite the non-sense about the sell out streak continuing, there were few fans showing up at the Palace by late December. Which is why they started practically giving away seats.

17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

the seats have been empty for a couple years now and it has nothing to do with playing time

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It has a lot to do with the fact that we have the same core for the 4th year in a row. The fans know that the Pistons will be in the playoffs and also know that their success in the regular season doesn't have much to do with the odds of success in the playoffs. So, in that respect, the fans are getting complacent like the players are.

Also, we have the slowest tempo in the NBA. Grind-in-out control games are successful for us, but they are not as crowd pleasing as a lot of teams for the lay-fans.

19. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

That's oversimplifying a bit; we've been near the bottom in pace since Rick Carlisle came along, but created lots of excitement with funneling defense.

Playing fundamentally sound rotating D with efficient but predictable jumpshooting O is a combination that allows lazy fans to submit to their disinterest.

20. max

max All-Star

Its very fun watching the Pistons when they are on their game and the crowd does get excited. Precise half court execution, forced turnovers, etc...

Overall I think they are still trying to recover from losing Ben Wallace. Fans used to really identify with him. Of course that was back when he was leading the league in blocks and rebounds. They are still looking for that big draw to replace him.

Currently its not as bad as some think. Anyone who has been to a game in the 90's knows what I am talking about.

I don't know why so many think that offense = excitement. Back in the 70's thats all they used to do. Run it up score, go the other way score. Hardly anyone watched the sport back then.