Midseason stuff from McCoskey today

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Jan 21, 2008.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

Neither Cola or LB would have stood for that. As far as the D? We are seeing what remains from both of them. Though Flip has tried his best, even he couldn't F-up the core D-coached players he was very blessed to have dropped in his lap.

IMO a lot of fans left with the Fro...I can't blame them. The team lost fire, identity, and intensity after Flip took Ben out of the equation. Again, JMO
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

lol! Maybe no one will believe it, but I wrote my last post before reading max's :pound:

Great minds...:)
  3. max

max All-Star

I think Ben also had something to do with that.

If he were still here would he still be a fan draw? I don't know. He sure was a couple of years ago.
  4. detteam

detteam All-Star

With the team core that is still here, I think he'd be the same fan draw he was, but only if Flip was gone. Flip sapped him...probably the only coach in the league that could have come here and managed to not respect his game. I think every one of the core guys still has some resentment for the way he treated Ben.
  5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

what flip should have done?(realistically!)
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's probably the way that Flip communicated with him behind the scenes. Ben felt like Flip didn't respect what he brought to the table on defense and that he thought of him as a handicap on offense.

LB used to go the extra mile and start every game by calling the first offensive play for Ben in the post. It was ridiculous and ineffective, but it was a good-will gesture. Also, LB never talked about that "we are playing 4 on 5" stuff. He looked at it more like "our opponent is playing 5 on 6" when Ben in on D.
  7. detteam

detteam All-Star

He should have worked with Ben's skill set...like LB was doing. Instead, Flip dis-empowered Ben by not following thru on what LB started in 04-05, pushing Ben to expand his O game. Flip took it all away. I don't blame Ben for leaving...and I don't think his old teammates blame him in the slightest.
  8. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT!

Flip is blamed for being too player-friendly and now you complain that he wasn't????????

The last thing team needs is that coach is forced to suck player's d... or player threatens to leave. And those goodwill gestures - so w/o them ben acted like a whiny primadonna? Would you like to admit that ben was actually drama-queen?

When ben maybe thought that he can contribute in offence, if thats the case, then he really, well, lived in fantasy realm...

At his age, players know their strengts and weaknesses and it's one of coache's job not to play on strengts but acknowledge weaknesses too.

If you did't know, ben was very unsatisfied during carlisle era too-he constantly complained that he has to do this dirty work(alone)
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Right, he didn't win a ship with Carlisle or Flip. And vise versa.

The only system that Ben thought he was being used correctly resulted in a ring.
  10. detteam

detteam All-Star

rax...Flip's a mind F'r. The type of person that never takes responsibility...he's always got a mouse in his pocket. Take a listen to his post game interviews some time. You will never hear him call himself out for anything. He does no wrong.

I was previously unaware that Ben had "constantly complained" about doing the dirty work under Carlisle. Would you be so kind as to provide some reference material?
  11. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I can't post a link but I remember something like that Ben didn't like attitude from team members that his dirty work is "self-explanatory". And he and carlisle didn't talk with eachother (during PO-s), although Carlisle worked behind-the-scenes to get to ben all-star spot.

My bet is that ben left b/c he didn't believe that this team can win at least one more ship. And he went to team where chances were better, in his opinion.
  12. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Your posts in this thread had made me felt better over the leaving of Ben, but the sadder part is that Ben can't do that by himself all alone over there that hurts him more.
  13. detteam

detteam All-Star

I agree. I believe there are regrets on both sides for what could have been. So is life...
  14. max

max All-Star

This is true. Some say Ben left for the extra 10 mil. That could be the case but he would easily have made that up in endoursements and what not after he retired. The fans would have always loved him here. Not sure he is going to get any of that in Chic.

Ben was our emotional leader who lifted the team up in several playoff series that we were down in. Hard guy to replace overall. I am glad we are finally over saying things like Mohamed or Webber is better on this team than Ben was. It was a different team with Ben on it and thats never going to change.

It looks like the team is finally starting to move past that and are ready to determine their own fate.
  15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Multiple times has been mentioned by pistons players after unsucessful POs that they had relied on ben's game and it was tough for them adjust.