Mike James - Bring him back

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Jun 1, 2006.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

It's amazing that Lindsey Hunter has been such an important gear on the Pistons wheel over the last three seasons. Especially considering all the heat and grief that was dropped on him when he left the team back in 00/01 and pulled on that Bucks jersey.

Left for dead by many in Detroit as shooter who couldn't control his dribble, a guy who under pressure seemed to pass the ball out'a bounds more than to the right open teammate. We're talikng about a guy whose highest fg% in his first 7 seasons with Detroit was .435.

But in todays game, his game, is all intensity - all ball hawking - all Mr. D. And man-oh-man has that made the difference in the games that mattered. Two years ago the tandem of him and Mike James on the floor together was like watching someone suddenly push the defensive turbo button. Plus James could drop the long rock.

Well, Hunter isn't getting any younger and the odds are strong he's retiring after this season. That other half of the turbo tandem is going to be a free agent. Mike James is again up for grabs. I for one would love to see Joe D. try to get this guy back in the red white and blue jersey.

His energy, ballhandling, game smarts and shot will be in need in motown should Hunter take an office position. He's a younger, stronger Hunter with a better shot. The Pistons don't have a ton to work with this off-season. But they likely could snatch this guy if they really wanted to and I think it would be a solid if not spectacular move.
  2. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Based on the way Mike talked (and shot) in Toronto this season, it seems like he'd want a bigger role and payday than the Pistons can offer. But there's no question we need more backcourt energy. Anybody think Bobby Jackson might still have something in his tank? Injuries have plagued him, but not long ago he was as good a bench sparkplug as anyone in the league.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Re: Mike James, Sign & Trade maybe but I don't think he wants to play as a 3rd wheel and the Mid Level Exception isn't going to be enough money.

Not to mention he is 30+.

I watched a LOT of Mike James this year. He's like a hyper Tony Delk when he has the rock.

I'm not sure that's worth $6+ million a year.
  4. G-man

G-man Starter

Hear ya Micro, you are right - he's 31 in June.

I don't think he'll get 6+, but if he does, power to him. He's a shooter at 20 pts per. Outside of last season in Toronto where he averaged 37 minutes, through his career he's always been closer to 25 and in Detroit he got 19.

Surely after all these years of runs Detroit needs to give up some decent minutes to guys off the bench. The starters of this season, save maybe Tay, need more rest. I think they could and would be able to find James minutes. Maybe not 37 he got in Toronto this season - but certainly something close to the 25 he's averaged prior to that time.

I know there are some rumors about Minny wanting to make a run at him. I'm sure there will be a couple others, but at turning 31, he will be looked at by most teams as less a starter than a major role player. I think he's a 5m man. If Hunter goes, and it's inevitable that he does, the Pistons need a Vet that can alter the games dynamic, Delk was a nice add for this years run (though it would help if he actually got some more minutes) but he's not that guy we need on 3 year deal..
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I liked Mike James when he was a Piston and I liked him for the first 1/2 of this season, but given the already uncertain state of this team, I don't know that I'd want to add and ego/headcase like that to this team.

Not to mention the fact, as others have pointed out, I don't think James would be interested in being a backup or being paid backup money. He already has a ring with us, now he wants the bling.

We need someone like Dice, a veterab who will contribute off the bench, but doesn't demand starter's minutes. A true team player, and someone who is hungry for a ring!
  6. G-man

G-man Starter

7. jammertime

8. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Actually, Marcus Banks isn't that bad. He's got speed to burn, and he can play defense. At this point in his career he might start figuring things out. Be kind of funny to steal another high Celtics pick.
  9. G-man

G-man Starter

Banks - hard not to like a player that came out of Tarks (Jerry Tarkanian) old program (Nevada - Las Vegas). This cat was originally a Memphis pick, they traded his rights to the Celtics. He's been lost in multiple player trades.

He can shoot a little and is pretty decent at the FT line. Had his best 1/2 year in Minny this season.

(I'd like to see someone who is play-off tested a bit, we have some nice young talent of our own in development. God knows anyone coming out'a Boston hasn't seen any meaningful play-off minutes ;) )
  10. max

max All-Star

This summer we will see what becomes of the 03 draft class. Which players re-sign and which are waiting for free agency next summer. Possibility for some sign and trades. That was a deep draft.

If James wants to play backup for the mid-level I would love to have him.
  11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I see Anthony Goldwire is on the list. He made a great impact during the several days he spent as a Piston.
  12. jammertime

So is UpChucky Atkins.:puke:
  13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Do we have the money to sign both UpChucky and Goldfinger? I can see them coming off the bench together as a modern junkyard dog unit without the defensive (or offensive) firepower.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

LMAO,
    We'll call them the "Pound Puppies"
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

How about the Stray Cats?
  16. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Banks is a quality player. James seems to be more of a headcase every time he talks to the media. He's a fine shooter, but he's not a point guard, tends to take bad shots, and his defense has been really affected by the handchecking rules.

But Banks - I like him.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Marcus Banks is our best bet. In a structured system where he can get some hoop IQ instilled in him he is just what the dr ordered. Even though I'm not Lee Ceritfied, or licensed by the 356 school of line-ups Imagne this lineup........
    pg-Banks
    sg-Rip
    sf-Tay
    pf-Amir
    c-Ben
    That's a whole lot of Speed and length on the floor right there, that team could really get up and down the floor.
  18. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

I agree, Banks is probably the best option, but someone will probably give him the full MLE given his solid performance for the Wolves and I'm really not sure he is worth it (although the MLE for 3 years would be a good offer).

I vote NO on proposition MIKE JAMES!!!
  19. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Why not Claxton?
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Injury prone and he's getting old. Also Claxton is not the ball hawk that Lindsey and Banks are.