Mike Krzyzewski

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

This guy seems to have the respect of NBA players, the international basketball community and of course the NCAA. His resume is quite impressive.

Is he ready to make that step to a head coach in the NBA? If so, how about him replacing Flip??:stirthepot:
  2. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

in interviews with some of the star players they gush over how much they like playing for him. If he ever decided he wanted to try the pro's I think he's smart enough to make the move.

I would take him in a heartbeat to take over the pistons.
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Yeah, but would he take the job? He could have had the Lakers job if he wanted it.

Coach K is an improvement over Brown on the international level, that's for sure.

Also, I don't feel the NBA is a "step up." The NCAA title garners more attention than the NBA title most of the time, thanks to the tournament. Coach K has so much power on the Duke campus. Why give that up?
  4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I'd take him without giving a second thought.
  5. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I doubt that he has much desire to coach in the NBA anymore. He would have made the jump about 10 years ago if that's what he had really wanted to do.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

He could be Flip's assistant for two seasons til he's ready to take over. :stirthepot:
  7. Dlev59

Nah, that job is reserved for Laimbeer. If he wants it...........
  8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

9. linwood

linwood All-Star

Coach K will never leave Durham. It might be hard to understand if you didn't grow up near a college basketball powerhouse, but the NBA really doesn't hold a candle to the crazed, fanatical fandom of college hoops.
  10. detteam

detteam All-Star

Amen. And I'll add....basketball or football, the fan base of college teams is far more loyal and intense than the mostly fickle, fair-weather fans of pro ball. College fans are fans for life...win or lose.

I agree. Coach K won't leave Duke until he retires from coaching. Likewise, I firmly believe Tom Izzo will not leave Michigan State until he retires.
  11. Dlev59

I wouldn`t say "never".........
  12. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

It depends a lot on the coach's preference. As you know, linwood, a certain Mr. Pitino was the king of Kentucky, but he went back to the NBA because that's what he had always wanted to do. Coach K, on the other hand, has already had numerous opportunities to jump to the NBA if he wanted to, but he's turned all of them down. He obviously prefers his situation at Duke to any he might have in the league.
  13. round

I am not sure if north carolina is quit as bad as duke, but when i think basketball schools those rate as 1 2 in my mind. Duke has that whole tent city, and coach K is basically a god to the student body down there.

The only thing that I see that would change his mind about coaching is the lack of loyalty of the players to the school. Up to about 5 years ago it was unheard of for a Duke player to leave school early, he might grow frustrated of not being able to bring the best players to him for longer then 1 year.

Highly doubtful that he leaves but he must be growing frustrated to see these kids jumping for the money so fast. long before there ready most the time.

If he ever does grow tired of that, I would welcome him in a heartbeat to the pistons, he seems to relate to the pro's better then most college coaches that tried there hat in the pro ring. The players call him a players coach, he's much like daly used to be.... he knows how to deal with ego's.
  14. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Actually it was eight years ago, after the '99 season, when Duke had their first guys leave early in K's tenure. Elton Brand, William Avery, and Corey Maggette all jumped ship after that season, and a number of other Duke guys have as well since then. By that point, in '99, Duke was the only major college team left that hadn't been getting hit pretty hard by star players leaving early. Everyone else had been dealing with that for at least 10 years or so.

Also remember that K is about 60 years old now, so he's probably about 5-10 years away from retirement. Going to the NBA for the last few years of his career would almost be pointless for someone at that stage of his career; what would he have to gain from it? Besides, this current USA national team is really his best chance to add to his legacy as a guy who could coach pro players as well as college. Trying to be the guy who got the NBA players back on top of the international game has a lot more upside than taking over some mediocre NBA team, or even a very good one.
  15. linwood

linwood All-Star

Pitino changed his mind pretty quickly once he took that job with the Celtics! I think you are right though, Coach K could have had any number of NBA jobs by now. He's a legend at Duke, and his teams are always very good.
  16. round

God I hate getting old, can't believe brand has been out of college that long..... the older i get the faster time seems to go...
  17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    It is a big question mark about K moving up to NBA, especially at that age. College season is shorter and you don't have to massage players egos nowhere as much as in NBA. I also don't think he'd do it from the monetary perspective:
    Mike Krzyzewski - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, if he does decide to join the NBA headcoaching ranks, I'm all for him taking over the Pistons with Laimbs being an assistant coach.
    :sssh:
  18. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

A whole thread for this guy I can't stand. I hope he just stays at Duke because it's easier for me to avoid seeing him then. If he's in the NBA and I have League Pass and follow all these individual players and teams, well I'd have to run into him now and then on the telly. Those American Express commercials make me want to throw...wait...:puke: yeah that's it. He has an arrogant walk and his hair is horrible. Now let me get personal. :pound: How can anyone like someone who gets on national tv on a car commercial and claims to be a "molder of men"? Gimme a break man.
  19. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I used to despise the guy along with Dean Smith at UNC. After living less than 100 miles from Tobacco Road for 10 years I grew to appriciate the accomplishments of those gentlemen. I can't think of any more rabid and knowlegeable fanbase than exists there. By MKs career end he will be right there with Rupp, Smith and the Wizard of Westwood.
  20. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

He is 60 years old.

Change is a lot harder when you are older. He has a whole community that loves him there and I am sure more money than he needs.

If he were going to coach in the NBA I think Charlotte would be the most likely candidate as it is only about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Durham.