Mike Martz to be Offensive Coordinator

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Abe Froemen, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

It's a work in progress but he has agreed to the job

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2315463

Imo it shows we are going after guys that can help and get the job done. Bet on one thing the lions will not be as predictable in play calling. If he cant open up the offense for the lions I dont know who can.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Abe you are on fire!!

I like Rod, and I like the idea of once again having a "backup" head coach. ;)

These are some of the freshest and most ballsy moves the Leos have made in ages. Maybe Millen is finally using his noodle for the betterment of the franchise.
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Martz would be a gr8 pickup... some brains to go behind the motivator.
  4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I guess his heart is ok. Now if we can just stay healthy.
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I love the moves so far. All of these guys sound like PERFECT fits for this team.

Marinelli, Henderson and now Martz!

I really HATE to get excited about this team, because the same thing happens every single offseason... but I can feel it starting again.

So help me god, if this team pulls the same crap on me again this year I'm gonna.... aw hell, who am I kidding. I'm a Lions fan, which means I'll get my hopes way up, the Lions will sign a few free agents, draft another top 10 WR, underperform miserably, and I'll just keep coming back for more again and again, year after year.

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:
  6. Abe Froemen

:rofl: :rofl: :puke::rofl: :rofl: :puke: :rofl:

I was thinkin the same thing :doh:
  7. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i really like this move. i've always liked the rams' offense, and when i saw st. louis annihilate us in preseason and score a ton of points i was further sold. solid pickup.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

With St.L he always had a passer. What will he do here? What will he do? What could he do with JH? How will he deal with Blue Skies? Will he ask too much of JH? How long will it take to make JH cry? When do we trade for a Martz type passer? How long before JH is 3rd string? Can Martz help JH grow a pair?
  9. jammertime

Martz turned his QB's into passers, he took no name guys and turned them into Pro Bowlers. Warner, Green, Bulger and even Martin have grown tremendously under Martz.

I think Joey will be given one last chance next season. But if he can't excel under Martz's wide open attack, with 3 talented (yet underperforming) WR's, a solid TE, and a workhorse back, he never will. Hopefully they'll be able to upgrade their line. The GB line coach we signed sounds like he'll be a great fit.

Its finally put up or shut up time for Joey. No more excuses.

I know a lot of us - including me - said that last season, but between the pathetically conservative and predictable play calling, horrible lack of protection, completely uninspired play from our WR's and a lack of a running game, I'd say Joey was the LAST person to blame on offence.

An NFL caliber QB shouldn't need EVERYTHING to go right for him to succeed. He should be able to make plays on his own and make his teammates better. Is Joey that guy? I don't know, but I don't think its fair to give up on him until atleast SOME of the above concerns are addressed. For now, he gets an "Incomplete" grade from me.
  10. detteam

detteam All-Star

Here I go again, just like after we got Bobby Ross and Mooch. Jeez I hate this. Getting excited about the Lions sucks. :P
  11. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

This is even worse then before. We couldn't even enjoy it over the off season before MM found a way to mess it up. Now ESPN reporting that talks are off.

MM gets better and better.
  12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

ford probably didn't want to pay him an extra $250,000 a year or something. gj lions.
  13. Abe Froemen

:rant::censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :doh: :doh: :mad2: :doh: :doh: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: why god why do I care about the lions:crazy::noidea: :doh: :doh: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :doh: :flypig:
  14. jammertime

I just don't get it?!?!?!:confused:

According to ESPN, his asking price was pretty reasonable, 3 yrs @ just under 1.5 million a season. That isn't extreme given the salaries some Offensive Coordinators have been getting.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That's strange. It was all bad dream. Like you went to kiss a pretty lady and she turned into a skeleton.
    Who's left out there?
  16. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

still can't believe we loss him due to money. this will go down as one of the "bone-headed"-ish moves in Lions history. The NFL needs to step in and remove this sabotage artist. Fire Millen/the Fords...whoever was responsible for this snafu.
  17. jammertime

I agree 100%. Martz is one of the best offensive minds in the game and he also has head coaching experience, something that no one else on this staff has.

The Lions are blowing tens of millions of dollars on offensive "potential" every single season. Why not spend another 1.5 million a season on someone that can turn that potential into performance???

I just don't understand it at all. Hopefully there is more to the story that we don't know about. Maybe the difference in money was just an excuse and there are other reason that we don't know about. Otherwise Millen should just resign right now.
  18. jammertime

I've been reading a couple of articles saying that it probably wasn't about money after all. Which only makes sense considering neither Ford or Millen has been afraid to spend money on this team.

I have a feeling it was more about Martz's clashes with managment and his desire for absolute power of the offense.
  19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'm sorry to say that I believe Martz finally realized what a couple of clowns the Lions owner and GM were, and how they blame everyone for the franchises failure other than themselves. I think he made a wise career move avoiding Detroit.

That shows how smart he is, and that we probably missed out on a quality football coach. :frusty:
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think everyone should just chill. After hiring Marinelli (or Marinate as TFD calls him), we were all feeling a little better about the direction of the team.

In my mind, if Martz is not a good fit with the HC, then we don't want him here. We don't need to become the Rams on offense to be successful. Look at what Chicago did with barely any offense this year. You know the Leo's are better with the ball than da Bears.

If the Ford's were cheap, they would not have fired Mariucci. He's still getting PAID. They are guilty of other mistakes, but being cheap is not one of them.