1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Millen overmatched

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by roscoe36, May 15, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Heard this on 1270 AM this morning but I can't find the corresponding article.

Apparently some Florida writer published that Millen is generally thought of around the league as a really nice guy who has no idea what he is doing.

Cases in point,

Asking Charles Rogers for money back. They wanted part of the deferred bonus and salary that wasn't even paid yet. How do you pay back what you haven't received in the first place?

Allowing Harrington and his agent to talk to teams and then filing a grievance when "The Harringtons" come to terms with the Dolphins.

In neither case were the Lions successful.

The only area of criticism that Matt dodged was the draft. It was said that he doesn't understand contract negotiations or league rules as it pertains to player personnel.

Man, I wish I had this article or a recording of the show. It wasn't the usual "FIRE MILLEN!" crap, but an honest take on where he stands as a GM and how the player agents and other GMs view him.

Maybe this is why the clown has never engineered a draft day trade. Both this year and last he could have traded down in the first round and got more bang for the buck. If only he had a clue.

Kinda interesting how this contrasts JD who has made a good run of exploiting loopholes and worked FA, and trade to maximum effect. I remember reading somewhere that Joe took time to study the CBA and league rules before taking on the job with the Pistons. That he wanted to go in eyes wide open and prepared to succeed. FIRE MATT!

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

If he doesn't have a contract lawyer on retainer he is a dope.
    2 more seasons is fair.

3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I predict he'll go all "LB" on the Lions after this year.... there's no way the fans will put up with another year of "blame the other guys".

4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Are you kidding? You must also be a Bush supporter!

5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I want him to succeed.
    Bush, don't get me started.
    But his best speech ever tonite.
    -------------------------------------
    Cro we've known this for years. Millen got played in the draft too. DGreen saw right thru him.
    he tried to float feelers to VYoung as if he wanted a QB. Not with 5 QBs on the roster. Green probably said ,"fine I'll take a LB" and Millen blinked.

6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

let's not go there!!