Home Milwaukee Bucks Tuesday Jan 29 2013

Discussion in 'January 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

#millywaukaythoughts

- For me, this game was AWESOME.
    I've said time and time again, the W/L record is meaningless this year. As long as there are turds in the talent pool, the Pistons are going absolutely NOwhere. I try and watch these damn games with blinders on. I tend to try and ignore all of the meaningless scrubs that should have been sent packing long ago and pay attention to the up-and-comers who might have a shot at playing a role when this whole thing gets on-track.

- Andre freaking Drummond man!!!
    I'm VERY excited to watch this youngster for the forseeable future. The Pistons would have lost this one by 40 without him. He might have a lot of rookie flaws but a "bad motor" isn't one of 'em. Andre's 18 & 18 came due to a relentless effort. A someone else mentioned, imagine what he could do if he wasn't playing 1-on-5 on the defensive end.

- I tried to ignore these four but it was hard to not LOL at the freaking slapstick comedy stylings of of Stuckey, Prince, Daye and JMax. ...I don't even want to talk about these clowns.

- My first reaction when this one was over was: "Man, the solid defense that BK had been playing was completely gone in this one." After reflecting on it a bit I'll give him a pass. He was playing against Jennings and Ellis with absolutely no help from his fellow guard counterparts. Singler was bad. Stuckey and Bynum were aweful.
    I remember one play in the 3rd where Stuck went under a screen and Monta just calmly teed up a triple try. Knight came all the way across the width of the floor to contest the shot while Stuckey casually auditioned for a slot on next season's Dancing with the Stars displaying a sweet Bossanova number with Larry Sanders. ...uggghhhh!

- Austin Daye is a timid little flower.
    The Panda, LA Dre and The Low like this.
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I have a feeling that Gores is going to be paying Stuckey 4 million dollars to NOT be a Piston next year.
    ...unless Joe can put down the popcorn and find another team for him at the deadline (not holding my breath).
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Some good stuff:
    source
  4. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Thanks, my man.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dwight Howard hit 18/18+ 4 times in his rookie season, and well over those levels a few times. His best was 28 and 26. However, he got almost 40 minutes of PT in each one of those performances.

Dre would get 4 of these at least if he got DHo's rookie minutes of 32.6/game.

DH had 22 games over 40 min that year. He only had one game below Dre's per game average in minutes and that was a game where he played 2:22 (must have rolled an ankle).

Time to stop coddling this guy.
    del, BallDon'tLie and The Low like this.
  6. max

max All-Star

I am blaming this loss on Stuckey.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I am blaming it on society.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  8. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I went to dinner with the Pistons up by 14. I'll read this thread, but I'm not going to watch this game on DVR.

By the way, I watched the Laker game last night, and it was beautiful. Watch out for those guys.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

That would not be best for the team. What would be best is for Stuckey to go back to running the 2nd unit, which he is fine at. Secondly, coach should never bring him in for Singler. He should never be asked to be the shooting guard, or live with Knight as the shooting guard along side him.

I will say it yet again. Our bench was fine, with Stuckey running it. And Bynum sitting, waiting for a chance to play. Like Stuckey or not, again, our bench did fine with him running it. Also, when it comes to backing up Knight, as the starting guard if Knight should ever get injured, remember Stuckey has on so many occasions played toe to toe with one starting point guard in this league after the other and done just fine.

Perhaps coach is mad at Stuckey for trying to tell coach how to run the team. Oh, well. Frank should listen to someone with some sense. Me, I am on Stuckey's side. Bynum coming into the rotation was for no reason - as there was no problem to fix.

Some would rather have Bynum come in as the backup gurad, and just not play Stuckey. Well, there is a problem with that. Bynum does not play nearly enough defense. He is too short to effect the shot against too many opposing guards; and on any kind of a switch, whereas Stuckey has the height for it, Bymum does not.

With Stuckey, you get a guy crashing to the hoop, and getting to the foul line. And yes, you do get alley oops to Drummond. And you get enough assists. And most important of all - you get a point guard that makes decent decisions on a much more consistent basis than Bynum, avoiding any horridly unprofessional looking play from the Piston bench.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Stuckey = Poor man's Jerry Stackhouse
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I still think this is more than a coincidence:

Stuckey sits out: Pistons are 5-1 (83.3% winning pct.)
    Stuckey plays: Pistons are 12-27 (30.8% winning pct.)

We need more game data to confirm the sitting out statistic.....
    copper likes this.
  12. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Stuckey and his attitude are becoming a cancer to the team, this is not his first problem with a coach or a coaches expectations of him, and Im sure it wont be his last. I dont want that attitude anywhere near my young star center. For what Stuckey can or cant do....he is nowhere worth the headaches or diva syndrome. The best thing for this team is for Dumars to get off his growing posterior and make any deal that moves him. At this point some frozen bananas would be worth it. This would not only remove him and his headaches from the lockerroom, but also clear the way for what this team really needs, a youth influx.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Do you think that we are really a .833 quality team with him out of the lineup? It's not quite as good as the legendary 72 win Bulls team, but just a shade under?

And if we're a .308 team with him in the lineup, how did we manage to sport better records than that in '08, '09, '10, '11, and '12 with him in the lineup and starting most games?

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that without Stuckey we are probably a team that would play slightly below .500 ball.
  14. roscoe36

36 minute adjusted, all of his numbers are down this year (and over his career), except blocks per 36 (which is an insignificant stat).

When he's healthy, and when he's not fighting with the coach, he's not very good.
    linwood and copper like this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Hold on, Stuckey is a good player. Just not on this team.

It's just like Prince could contribute far better off the bench on a contender.
  16. roscoe36

I don't think Stuckey is a good player. He is a volume shooter without a jump shot. He has really bad bball IQ, he isn't a particularly good defender, and he plays with tunnel vision.

I will say, he can be active when he wants to be, and he is tough going to the rim and has some nice finishes. But he's not starting SG or PG quality on a winning NBA team.
    Walter and round like this.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

If he refrains from outside shots, the volume shooting thing does not matter.

His biggest weakness on defense is poor ability to fight thru picks. But, hey, with Bynum, you just shoot over him anyway. I'll take Stuckey,thanks.

Bad IQ. Not that bad. Of course, if you surround a player with nobody to pass too, he can look bad. Whatever you think his basketball IQ is though, he was perfectly ok running our bench, without Bynum in the picture. I will remind you yet one more time, we beat Washington 100-68, with Knight starting as our starting point guard, and Stuckey running the 2nd unit. There was no problem. But that is the game Bynum came back into the rotation. For no reason at all. Why fix what is not broken?

In defense of Bynum, indeed, he was the victim of totally useless 2nd units earlier in the season, and even quite recently, as much as anyone. When you limit his role, and surround him with a logical bunch of players, he too can do ok, on occasion. I just notice that Stuckey more consistently does better running the 2nd unit, and in comparison to Bynum, gets totally lost on what to do next way less. Bynum is the one who will hot potato the ball to no purpose just because he ran out of ideas on what to do with the ball. PS - It does not hurt that Stuckey is tall enough that when in a total bind, at least he can get a shot off. Whereas Bynum has no way to save the situation.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

His career PER of just over 15 suggests that he's an average player. So you're both wrong right.
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yes, a very unscientific example indeed. Especially when a few of those games were very recent, and more to the fact that one - without Stuckey playing, you can't run the non-sensical backcourt of Stuckey and Bynum, and we have just added Daye and CV into the mix to give us 2 more decent outside shooters for the 2nd unit.

What you would really need to see, is Bynum sitting out some games right now, and see how we do with a bench of Stuckey, Singler, Daye, CV, Drummond. Give them turns, see who can do the job.

What we will get, as Frank does not have a clue - more of Stuckey and Bynum paired up, and nothing from our bench at all.
  20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Actually, there is data for when Bynum sits out, too:

Bynum sits out: Pistons are 2-8 (20.0% winning pct.)
    Bynum plays: Pistons are 15-20 (42.9% winning pct.)

Stuckey sits out: Pistons are 5-1 (83.3% winning pct.)
    Stuckey plays: Pistons are 12-27 (30.8% winning pct.)