Minicamp Meltdowns

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by roscoe36, May 5, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Dunno if you guys have seen this yet...

From Booth Newspapers

Lions players file grievance against Marinelli

According to sources close to the situation, the Detroit Lions will lose two Organized Team Activities practices during the off-season because they were in violation of minicamp rules. A couple of Lions players filed the grievance against head coach Rod Marinelli because they believed the minicamp practices were too physical.

Players revolt already. I love it. Coach Rod is taking no prisoners and pissing off the sissies.

Analysis: Martz throws first fit, but Marinelli still wields control
    by Tom Kowalski

ALLEN PARK - Rod Marinelli was prepared for this.

Marinelli, the Detroit Lions head coach, wasn't bothered when offensive coordinator Mike Martz got upset and walked out of the team's facility Tuesday afternoon.

If Martz and Marinelli can keep it together, they'll be great. I truly believe this.

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Hmmm, no acceptance for mediocrity?... sounds better than "we're gonna get better, I hope"

Detroit may be the leaders in tough minded coaches.

3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

he must have been checking off season conditioning. Who's been lazy and fat.
    We'll see alot of coaches walking off, this is nothing new.
    Man were the GMs running some BS this draft. I think DGreen played Millen into not drafting down. And he still got Matt L.

4. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

What has happened? The Lions unfortunately broke the rules and some players complained about it.

What will happen? Right now Marinelli is seething wondering who these sissies are. He now has a plan that he will implement to weed out the boys. This training camp when everything is all nice and legal, there will be a price to be paid. This team is going to be made up of players who have weathered the storm. They will be feisty and mean. And come Sunday, they will be ready to take your limbs off. These players will be players who get a sick thrill from the punishment they have endured and the punishment they inflict. Kind of like legalized torture. It may take awhile to get all of his players, but that's where Marinelli is headed.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The thing I wonder is, how many other teams have harder minicamps than are allowed? Rod, Martz and Henderson all come from better run programs.

Is Rod trying too hard in his first season or is this how things are done around the league, and the Lions country club atmosphere has been the biggest culprit in decades of mediocrity?

Btw, apparently Philly and Washington had player grievances last year.

6. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

When changing a team culture, you are going to find complaints. I don't think L.T or Dick Butkus ever complained about being "too physical". This is very good fellas. The climate is changing here in Detroit, I hope it translates into wins. :fingerscr

7. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

This is going to be a rough season. The last tough coach we had quit because he let the sissy players break him. We will see how long Rod lasts before he runs from Detroit kicking and screaming. Mooch and Marty ran a camp more compared to a 3 star hotel where the veterans did little if anything at all . Well keeping the guy's fresh did not get the Lions many victories.

8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I completely agree Mo!

9. V!et

V!et First Round Draft Pick

Actually, i'm pretty sure he already knows who they are. o.O

But I don't blame Rod for this, I blame and only blame the players. Hey, if some players are comfortable with losing, that's fine with me. Just kick them out.

Oh yeah, any word of Rodgers or Mike Williams? I think there's hope in Williams, and i'm not exactly sure about Rodgers. We'll see.