Minnesota January 15th, 3:30 PM

Discussion in 'January 2007' started by Dlev59, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Minnesota January 15th, 3:30 PM
    TV - FSN (Local) NBALP

After a nightmare of a week playing teams at the bottom of the heap, the T`wolves come to town sporting a winning record, and holding second place in the Northwest Division.

Does this mean the Pistons will play up to their competition??
    We will see...........:stirthepot:
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Easiest two weeks of the season ... so far they haven't answered the bell... is this a good enough matchup to motivate Sheed?
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

This might be a Dyce game.
    from Fox Sport:
    --Power forward Antonio McDyess played two of his best games last season against Minnesota, averaging 13.5 points on 52 percent shooting. McDyess has been quiet offensively the past five games, which coach Flip Saunders attributes to Chauncey Billups' calf injury. McDyess usually shoots off pick-and-rolls, but Billups' fill-ins haven't been able to free up McDyess, who has also been bothered by back spasms.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Chat should open magically at 3:00PM. Don't forget the game tips off at 3:30PM.

Gooooo Pistons!
  5. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Yet another loss. Minny got a big early lead, then the Pistons got right back in it going into halftime. It was back and forth for most of the second half, Minny went ahead with a few minutes left, but Dice led a comeback at the end to get it to OT. Wolves hit too many big shots in the OT for the Pistons to overcome, with Mark frickin' Blount hitting a 3 in the last 30 seconds to give them a 4 point lead. Dice had a great game, but it wasn't enough.

Hopefully Chauncey and CWebb will both be in there on Wednesday against Utah. Also, Lindsey made his return today, with some familiar good energy on D and, also familiar, not much offense.
  6. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Just another example of how much the Pistons miss Chauncey. Rip plays major minutes and is expected to win the games at the end and he's pretty much out of gas. Why did Maxiell rack up a DNP? I sure hope that's not a sign that he's going to be traded since that would make me really unhappy. Nazr and Flip are the two players that should be traded since they just don't fit this team. Delfino plays his heart out again and then Flip pulls him early in the 4th never to be seen again except for the last 2 plays of the game. Dale Davis also was a disappearing act in the 2nd half and Flip Saunders rotation is just a thing of mystery to me. Sheed was working hard but his offensive game is just terrible lately, where did his shot go? Things have to get better because the team is pretty stale right now. Nice to see Lindsey Hunter back and doing what he does best, a disruptive force on defense.
  7. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Brief impressions:

Flip Murray: 38 minutes, 9 assists, 12 points on 13 shots, 4 steals... got lit up by Randy Foye in the 4th and OT
    Rip Hamilton: good offense if occasionally bad decision-making... below-average defense... missed some big shots... some of that was the playcalling, but mostly just missing open shots
    Tayshaun Prince: 42 minutes of the invisible man... got 7 assists somehow... shot 6-for-15... got worked over on defense and rebounding by Hassell
    Rasheed Wallace: 39 minutes... shot 1-for-11... defense decent... rebounding good...
    Dale Davis: played less than 20 minutes... didn't do much, either good or bad
    Antonio McDyess: offense excellent... rebounding decent... defense very good except for a few major lapses
    Carlos Delfino: 3-for-7 on jumpshots and missed a tipin... missed some open jumpers... defense good except for one major lapse... rebounding good... decision-making decent... only allowed to play PG on one possession
    Nazr Mohammed: played 16 minutes... 4 rebounds, 4 fouls
    Lindsey Hunter: played 10 minutes... some good decision-making... excellent defense
    Jason Maxiell: DNP
    Ronald Dupree: DNP
    Will Blalock: DNP

Flip Saunders: substitutions didn't always make much sense... he had the sense to make a defensive substitution at the 1 a few times, but not at the 3 or 5... playcalling out of timeouts questionable... went to zone late, which gave up several open jumpshots
  8. DetroitBasketball

DetroitBasketball First Round Draft Pick

Damn why another loss? this game was theres. Chauncey needs to come back on Wednesday. If he comes back, the Pistons will rack up those wins.
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

These DNP's for Max are really starting to piss me off . . .
  10. detteam

detteam All-Star

Same ole stuff from Flip Sr...been here a year and a half and hasn't coached a single game since he's been here. No one will be more relieved to have Webber and whoever we get in the impending 'trade'. Flip needs players that are talented and can manage themselves...heaven knows he can't manage them.
  11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Well, lets praise Rip who keeps on scoring until he gets tired. Dice had a good game but we still need a guy who is going to score EVERY game off the bench. Maxiell can, maybe, but he didn't play.

The slow starts are continual and point out the lack of offensive sets with guys in their spots. Teams start games and run their bread and butter. We go here and there HOPING a guy hits a shot.

Late in the game, we had nowhere to go as Rip got tired. That is because we have no system. Yes, Chauncey is out but no one player should make that kind of difference. We were lost on offense. Larry's offense was way better and that was Larry's weak point.

Sheed is the best example of our lack of offense. Did his misses come from the same spot even once? Every shot was different so he went the first 0 for 8 as if he went 0 for 1 eight times. No coach has an offense like that. You know, I saw Sheed last year shooting threes left-handed in practice at Staples. Does that tell us something? No direction.

Yes, they hit their shots at the end. Even weak teams run offenses and they got looks. We didn't cover. The only reason we were in the game at all is because we mostly got away from the laid-back zone.

We have played the same game like 9 out of 10 times now. Weber will help as he can be the point of attack on offense. We still need a back-up point big time.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A worse game could not be played. We stuck to one on one basketball the whole game thru. Never used a point guard at anytime in the game. Sure, Flip Murray got some assists from passing the ball to open shooters on the perimeter. No need to rewatch the game for that, cause we only took outside shots. Nothing inside, virtually no fast break points. A horrid, horrid game. No solution short of firing the coach can fix this.

Flip Murray was not all bad. He can't run the point at all, but he did hit some shots at least, includinga layup to send it into overtime. That layup had to absolutely shock Minny, cause it was rarer from us that snow on the sun. Flip also had a nifty pass on a fast break for a score. And I think Flip Saunders had a talk with Murray about actually playing a little bit of D. Not that he was effective at it, but at least he was participating in defense for a change.

Blalock is out of the rotation. The press claimed just this weekend that Hunter was a long way from being ready to play. The announcers sure did talk up his couple of good defensive plays. How about no points from him. How about the minus 13 he was for the game. Oh, you want to claim it was not Hunter's fault-neither was it Blalock fault the one game where he was largely negative. Put Blalock back in the rotation, we need at least a little actual point guard play.

Rip was played to exhaustion. Great job giving us points while he still had life in his body. Solution: Fire the coach. Find one who will rest his stars, especially in the 2nd quarter where few games are lost-except of course by overplaying your starters.

Someone claims it was bad luck-how could Blount nail a triple on us. Well, what were we doing in an overtime game? Create your own luck.

Dale Davis started, gave us some toughness inside to start the game. But he played way too little. Dyess did have that shot going. Great. Guess how many fouls Dyess is going to draw shooting that outside shot? Right, not a one. Still, a good game from Dyess, who despite back spasms, and hardly being able to move at times, played the whole 4th and the OT period. Matter of fact, a whole lot of Pistons who happened to be out there halfway thru the 4th just stayed out there. Flip Saunders is a choker. He can't make any decisions in the heat of battle. Did I mention he needs to be fired?

Sheed did nothing at all. We used him as a jump shooter, the very thing so many hate Webber in advance for because they think that is what he is. Look no further than Sheed for your jump shooter.

No Maxiell, no post game. Fire the coach.

Mohammed played, hit an outside shot. I tried a face up jumper, a tried and true post move indeed, and missed badly. Again, I call that a planned turnover. Mohammed is no post player.

Tay battled, hit some outside shots. But it was all one on one stuff. Great for the playground, not the NBA.

Webber was at the game, sitting a row in front of Dumars and Hammond. The crowd cheered Webber. GO PISTONS!!!!!

PS, I read this board too before doing my game report. Not many posts to read though. Some of yall are going to have to break away from chat to make a comment or two.
  13. max

max All-Star

Had to work today. Caught the OT on the radio.

Debating if I will watch the re-broadcast or not. Might check in for a couple of mins, does not sound like I missed much.

Billups or not - how could we lose to these guys at home?
  14. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

That is what is really bothering me. The losses at home!!

We never lose games like this AT HOME!

Take the Wiz for example, they can`t buy a win on the road, but it doesn`t matter who comes to their house, THEY WIN!

If we can`t take care of business at home, we are doomed!!
  15. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

put me on the list of Flip- haters; I'm in- there is no excuse for playing Sheed, who shot 1-11 (as a PF!!!) 43 minutes and leave JMax on the bench vfor the entire game. NO EXCUSE!!!
    JMax is our future, not that lazy jokemaster who probably already dreams of sitting next to Kenny Anfderson or Charles Barkley instead of playing like a freaking big man!!!
    I also can't get why Flip Jr. is getting 43 minutes while Fino gets 17 unless it's all because of showcasing him.
  16. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Recap: Minnesota January 15th, 3:30 PM

Too much Kevin Garnett on the defensive end, too much Timberwolves balance in the crunch, including Mark Blount’s fourth three pointer of the year, and the Pistons go down to the Wolves 94 to 90.

The first half is a game of runs with the Pistons getting off to the usual slow start, missing nine of their first eleven shots. The Wolves start the second with a 6-0 run and Kevin Garnett goes out of the game at the 8:23 mark with nine points, five boards, and a couple of assists. With Garnett on the bench the Pistons find life, going on a 17-1 run over the next 5:41. Garnett returns partly way through the run and begins to reexert control over the game with two steals in succession around the three minute mark. The Wolves outscore the Pistons the rest of the way and the half ends 43 – 42 Pistons.

Besides the steals Garnett also takes Rasheed completely out of the game. In all, Garnett’s man made one shot in the first half - Dice’s tip off the offensive boards. Otherwise, nothing. Rasheed will eventually finish the game, sitting by himself on the bench after the other players have headed towards the locker room, 1 for 11, the sole make a three.

The bench is a bright spot for the Pistons in the first half. Delfino and Dice both play well and there is an appearance by Lindsay Hunter who immediately contributes a steal. The bench puts in 15 of the Pistons 43 first half points (35%).

The third quarter is a series of small runs - Wolves +3, Pistons +2, Wolves +3, Pistons +4. It is also a quarter that finds Garnett blocking four Piston layups. That eight point swing, the difference between a one point and a nine point lead after three, was the difference in the game. Garnett was feeling his oats, employing the classic “give me that s***” as he knocked shot after shot into the third row, and “get your a** out of here” to Davis as he swooped in for yet another rebound. Garnett finishes the third with 13 points, ten boards, five blocks, three assists, and two steals.

The lead seasaws during the first nine minutes of the fourth and the Pistons end up down two at the 3:07 timeout. Just before the timeout Sheed hits the three that is the only shot made in the second half by a player Garnett was guarding. Delfino and Dice have continued to play well with the Pistons’ bench outscoring the Wolves’ to this point by 22 – 11.

Coming out of the timeout the Pistons begin to play some serious defense. Rip misses a two but the team forces a jumpball on the other end. Rip misses a three, but they force a 24 second violation on the next possession. Dice hits a shot, then Randy Foye, then Flip Murray and the score is tied at 79 after another Wolves’ turnover 1:02 remaining. Foye misses and Dice denies Garnett the ball on the inbounds. His efforts however aggravate his back and Dice spends the rest of the game getting back massages during timeouts. Still tied at 79 with 0:21 left, Rip harasses the passer and Hunter dives after the in-bounds pass forcing a jump. After the little man jump the Pistons sandwich a couple of turnovers around a game saving block by McDyess. Rip is fouled at the 0:2.9 mark but doesn’t get the continuation and misses a late shot to end regulation.

During the overtime every Timberwolf gets a basket except Garnett who hits from for the line at the end for the final margin. A combination of tougher Wolves defense and stagnant Pistons offense lead to a miss by Murray from three after a possession with absolutely no player movement and a subsequent turnover. Dice keeps the Pistons around with a couple of jumpers. Rip also hits a jumper and is 3-4 from the line in overtime. Dice also has a nice block on Garnett. Rip reaches 30 for the game and the Pistons are down one with 0:33 left after a Dice miss.

The Pistons come out of the timeout and play good defense, forcing a Mark Blount three point shot from the corner with one second remaining on the clock. Unfortunately the shot goes down and the Pistons are down four. Rip gets fouled and makes two to tighten the game with 0:10 left. The Pistons force another turnover but can’t score again and the game ends 94-90 Wolves after Garnett’s free throws.

For the game the Pistons shoot only 43% including 3 – 14 from three. They are outrebounded 48 – 37. Dice (8-10), Delfino (3-8), Mohammed (1-3) and Hunter (0-2) play off the bench.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Thanks a lot dba. I know it couldn't have been easy to do this with your cold.
  18. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

flip murray sucks. why is he in the game during crunch time.
    webber got an ovation. i was one of the ones standing cheering.
    delfino is the man.
    rip got robbed at the end of regulation.
  19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Caught some of this on the radio and the final 2 minutes on the tube...
    Mark Champion said that the two Flips were going at it... Jr brushed off Sr (hand gesture)....

I think there will be a trade immediately following the CWebb signing.
  20. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Oh my if true the Flips having a falling out. First in today's paper Flip Sr. praises his new favorite son Carlos saying he's the lone bright spot with Chauncey out. Now the reported little tiff at the end of the game should be interesting. Also over at Yahoo Sports I was reading the article about CWeb and a quote from Nazr in which he wants to be traded if he's not going to get the playing time. So two unhappy Pistons that are perfect to package together and get us something new and shiny and not whiny and unhappy. Sheed needs some new teammates to get back his mojo so Joe Dumars will absolutely make some trades.