Minnesota January 15th, 3:30 PM

Discussion in 'January 2007' started by Dlev59, Jan 13, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

A few observations from my side.

Nazr Mohammed. It's like the chicken and the egg. Which came first? His frustration or his ineffectiveness?

Rasheed Wallace. Something is very, very wrong with Sheed. Is Webber being brought in to replace him? Still our best defender every night, and now our best rebounder.

Dale Davis. The reasons for sitting Dale early can only (in my mind) be chalked up to preventing injury. He could be on the trade block.

Antonio McDyess. The guy is playing through back spasms. We have Maxiell, Mohammed, Davis and we're playing the crap out of Dice. I hope he is on the trade block because I am not sure he can handle too many more nights like tonight. Great effort. Able to overcome his deficiencies and give KG a run for his money on post-ups.

Flip Murray. Makes it hard to hate him when he is racking up nice offensive #s. Then he serves up an extra large bowl of free chili to his man, and waves him towards the hoop and suddenly, all of these childhod memories of being picked on in school and falling out of a tree start to resurface as I cry all over my keyboard.

Rip Hamilton. He's at his best when he's asked to stay under control. Too much Rip can turn into diminishing returns. ahb put it great in chat, "Rip's back to his old jump-then-think ways" Another All-Star scoring night though.

Chris Webber. For a saviour, he really didn't do much except keep the Pistons PR guy Matt Dobek busy bringing him beers. Maybe that is a good thing. The Jaric, Peterson, Wells rumours might start off slow tomorrow.

Lindsey Hunter. I'm off his bandwagon. There are people in this league who can defend and shoot/pass. He is not one of them. More ahb...
    Tayshaun Prince. Out-muscled, out-hustled and plain old beat by [strike]Udonis Haslem[/strike] err Trenton Hassell. It seems kinda obvious to me that his development has plateaued.

Carlos Delfino. This guy has been responsible for making Flip Murray look good. You couldn't find a more classic example of working against yourself. Responsible for starting up a lot of Pistons runs defensively lately. Short of the minutes he is earning. As an aside, ahb thinks he can't shoot with the leather ball, but I really think that he has been shooting great. It's hard to judge a guy on 4 shots. If he makes 2, he's a 50% shooter. If he makes one, 25%. It's a damn small sample size. When CD is able to go through his full shooting motion, he's money. In fact, I have taken to watching his mechanics because if he is able to maintain solid form and balance, it's consistently through the hoop, and likewise if his mechanics are off even a little, it's a miss of various proportions.

Jason Maxiell
    . Lost $50 to Ronald Dupree in a craps game at the end of the bench (joke). This is what happens when Director of Player Development Ryan Hoover goes with Amir Johnson to Sioux Falls of the NBDL.

Flip Saunders. Took the toughest job in basketball last season and continues to wilt under the pressure. The zone defense is not working. The team is not coming out strong on homecourt. The timeouts continue to come when you least expect it, usually after throwing your hands up in the air, spilling the popcorn and losing the remote control behind the sofa. At this precise point of stupification and disbelief, Flip will signal for a break. It's like water torture.

Joe Dumars. Better get to work. No number of shadows in the Palace can hide him from the task at hand.
  2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Perfect time to get Webber. This team is going through all the motions right now. I thought I smelled a winning streak coming a week ago. It will start on Wednesday, for sure if Chauncey is back. Will Webber be in a jersey, or do they have to wait?
  3. roscoe36

I guarantee he will be in a jersey.
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I hope he leads by his example in a good way. He has to be motivated. If the Pistons get a Webber than is anything like the Sacramento Webber watch out.

I don't like Jaric. I think Pistons could do better than that.
  5. roscoe36

This is a great point lapiston. I really believe that Flip's offense is so complicated, so structured, that guys like Murray, Blalock and to a lesser degree Prince and Delfino cannot just step in at point guard and make it run.

This is absolutely puzzling given that this is a big holiday home game. You would think they would let the brahma bull run around and make some noise.

Something funny here. Flip Jr doesn't like Flip Sr. Sheed is not happy with Flip Sr. Nazr wants to be traded. It's like Days of our Lives - The Piston Years. This happens with every other team, but the Pistons have been able to keep it under wraps for several years now.
  6. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I wondered if I was just being too picky when complaining about TO's or lack thereof. Wheew.
  7. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Might be too little too late, but my opinion of Flip Jr just moved up a notch.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You know, I actually had a lot of fun watching this game. Maybe I'm just in a good mood and seeing things in a positive light today, but Flip Murray looked like he has adjusted to the PG role. His D looked like it was the best he's played this year. He took care of the ball, his passes were great, and except for the 3 times he challenged KG, his shot selection was good too. And given our lack of points in the paint this year, I can't blame the guy for driving to the hoop. It worked out a bunch for him too. This is actually a role that he alone fills. CB can do it, but like Sheed, he thinks that he can wait until the playoffs to get his hands dirty.

And Dice made me think that we may as well keep him. What heart and energy he showed tonight. It was stupid keeping him in the game when his back was hurting, but that wasn't Dice's fault, and he made some amazing plays to give us a chance. That block on KG will be in my mind whenever I see Dice for a while. I also had the realization while watching this game that Dice can really be used as a zone breaker. That fade away from the free throw line extended is unguardable when he's feeling it. He looks to be getting into peak shape and his new strength is showing on the boards.

Rip was awesome, Davis was tough, Dice and Flip had their best games of the season, Delfino played great. And Lindsay looked incredibly dangerous on D. The guy was rusty on offense, which is to be expected.

But if Nazr can't take advantage of the other team's bench players, then we need to get rid of him before everyone in the league notices.
  9. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Micro,

I can't figure out our offense. We rarely go beyond one pass even with Chauncey in. Except for Rip, we have ill-defined roles for the other starters. Even Chauncey is not used as well as possible as the ball never comes back out to him for his three ball. Chauncey would probably be our best three point guy. Chauncey takes his three when he already has the ball--it does not come back out to him. Sheed too often gets the ball for a one on one shot. He is better getting it on a catch and shoot.

For Sheed to post, it should be in one or two spots and be done consistently from game to game.

We don't work inside out. We don't really drive. We don't pass around the horn. We don't have cutters when we do post someone up. Someone please explain to me what our offense is suppose to do.
  10. linwood

linwood All-Star

Time to get out some old game tape. Seems like when Flip first arrived, they WERE running some pretty tricky and effective plays. If memory serves me right, this started to break down toward the end of the year with Ben complaining about not being involved in the offense. Then, sometime during the Cleveland series, the offense became one pass and shoot, or iso's.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I only saw the last of couple minutes of the second quarter and then the entire second half+OT and it was not a pretty thing. Especially the begining of the 4th when we flat out stunk up the joint. I love Rip Hamilton, but 25 shots? Does anybody else get open on this team? Like I said I missed most of the first half, but how many airballs did Sheed throw up today. Was he trying to show Cwebb that he needed help? Thanks for the 10 rebounds, but 1-11 shooting.:brick:

Dice played like a man trying not to get traded in the 4rth and OT and was responsible for getting us back in the game and into OT. 16 pts 7 brds and 2 blocks:good: Hunter had a couple of outstanding defensive plays in crunch time and we will need more of that as stops seem to be hard to come by these days.

Can someone explain why none of our bigs other than Davis went to the FT line:doh:. Does that mean Sheed, Prince, and Mohammad (Dice excused this time) didn't take a single inside shot or were they just to afraid to up against Garnett, Hassell and Blount in the middle?

Don't know who is leaving, who else in coming besides CWebb, but we need CB back ASAP as this offense is out of synch. That score seemed stuck on 70 too long as we had 3 or 4 stops in a row in the 4th but could not come down and convert a basket. You should always win games when the opposing team commits 20+ turnovers, but it looks like their rebounding and their key 3's in OT won this one for them.

If CB is back later this week, I bet we get them in Minny!!!...but can we leave Flip Sr there???
  12. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Sheed is killing me right now. I can't buy into the fact that he isn't hurt. If he really isn't, he needs to be moved. This is not a slump, he just looks like he doesn't care about 95% of the time. When he gets the ball he just throws it up there where ever he is. It's like he's too confident he can make every shot on the floor or if he doesn't care if he makes it.

Our starting, all-star Power Forward is now shooting 41.2% from the field...