Minnesota vs Detroit (Preseason) Oct 16th

Discussion in 'Preseason 2005/6' started by mercury, Oct 2, 2005.

1. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

the bench is playing with much more energy and excitement than the last two seasons. i don't know if they are loose because LB isnt' there anymore, but guys are just making plays.

Delfino is making awesome dribble penetration to the basket.

Darko's got a new lease on life.

Dupree is making the SF battle an even tougher decision.

Dice is finding is jump shot groove.

unfortunately, Arroyo has been playing mediocre. maybe it's because the other reserves are playing so well, i'm not sure. but with our depth at SF and our backup PG playing so-so, it makes me wonder if Arroyo's expendable in JoeD's mind.
  2. iamme

DARKO with 6 blocks!!!!

a vicious block on a dunk attempt
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

More Darko

10 of 12 from the stripe, too. Maybe he could give Ben some pointers. Nice to see Darko playing well. His confidence has to be building with each swat.
  4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

How to use Ben and Sheed

Ben was used slicing to the hoop. He is actually an offensive force used this way creating havoc for their defense. Sheed was used beautifully today, just beautifully. Defino needs to have the ball in his hands (I was wrong about this guy and will gladly eat crow). Rip is deliberately not scoring. Interesting, I believe Flip is proving to the starters that they can be an offensive force even without Rip.
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Joe on Flip and Larry

Joe pulled no punches calling last year's offense "stagnant." He said that we need to open it up and used the term "offensive philosophy" in an underhand reference to Larry. He said that we need to "put pressure" on people. I think we now know what went on in those talks after the playoffs.
  6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

FINAL: Detroit 91, Minnesota 80.

First off, Minnesota is Kevin Garnett and a bunch of chuckers. When he was in (guess about 20 minutes), they had an inside presence and a force on the boards. Otherwise, nothing. Trenton Hassell shot well and McCants could repeat Ben Gordon's feat last year, but the rest of the team really doesn't like going into the lane. Heck Richie Frahm played like one of their toughest guys.

This turned out to be good, because the game was more of a struggle than the score indicates.

The Piston starters started slow, seeming to fight Flip's offensive and defensive schemes more in this game than in the first couple ... lots of missed defensive assignments and some half-hearted matchup zones from the looks of it, and Minnesota applied backcourt pressure with some success. It was 10-6 Wolves at the first TO and the Pistons were down as much as 10, but Sheed really came on hard (fired up by, you guessed it, a dramatic technical foul after being called for an illegal screen on ... well, nobody) and sparked the team to a closing 9-0 run at the end of the first while Garnett sat on the bench resting his knee.

Prince, who again missed some makeables, came out for Delfino, who actually made a couple of nice defensive plays (a steal and deflection) to get the break started. Dupree came in as well and played like a house afire ... fighting for his own offensive boards, dunking, even popping the J. Then Delfino scored on a spectacular double-clutching scoop from that big paw of his as the quarter ended, and the Pistons had stolen the lead in a subpar quarter, 25 to 23.

Dupree (4 out of 5, 8 pts by halftime) and Delfino continued to star in the second with Arroyo, Dice and Darko rounding out the mix. Delfino was super aggressive, driving hard to the hoop and picking up fouls. He's good in this offense because he likes to drive the middle of the lane, which opens up space on the wings. Dice was better integrated in the offense this game, popping jumpers off a couple of nice flairs with Arroyo, who seems to have his best chemistry with Antonio. Carlos cito shot well in the quarter but again insisted on making some easy passes into the extra crispy variety, too hot to handle for anyone but the first row patrons. Still the overall defense was pretty good for the unit.

Darko was the poorest player in the second, looking disinterested and losing some rebounds out of play. He lofted two really bad looking jumpers that would have put him on Devil's Island under Larry. A highlight was a brief chance to defend Garnett, and he did pretty well. On the first exchange KG got to the middle and banked in a six footer under good pressure from Darko; on the second, Darko poked the ball away from KG when he held it overhead on the left wing, breaking the play up and forcing a later jumper that missed. Darko's only real highlights came when he blocked Eddie Griffin's deep jumper on a great closeout, plus a couple more blocks against Madsen and some other stiff that forced a 24-sec violation.

Both teams were in the low 40s just before the half, when I gave in to my wife and went to dinner. (The rogon josh was very good.)

In the third, Detroit pulled ahead to a 67-59 lead. Chauncey really played pretty blah, jacking up some ill advised long shots before the team had gotten set. Rip Hamilton continued to carry out his game-long mission of making every pass an alley-oop to Ben, no matter how many guys Ben had to jump over even to touch the ball. It worked two or three times, giving Ben a pretty good offensive game when added to a nice mid-lane jumper and a very nice fallaway earlier in the first.

Anyway, the Pistons had more interest in rebounding and defense than the Wolves, leading to a 16-5 run or so marked by some effective full court pressure.

The fourth quarter was ... THE DARKO SHOW! Maybe somebody lit into him about his crappy play earlier, or maybe they simply decided to emphasize the low block more, but Darko scored all 10 of his points in the fourth and I think they all came on free throws. He started taking the ball to the hole, spinning way faster than Eddie Griffin was prepared to move without a personal firearm, and also grabbing some offensive boards with considerable zest. Soon the T-Wolves were in the penalty and Darko kept marching to the line, where I believe he was 10 of 11 or 12. Meanwhile he was swatting shots -- another from Eddie Griffin (who returned the favor later), and yet another in a very heady sequence where he put a block and a steal back to back. His line for the evening: 10 points, 6 rebounds, five blocks.

Meanwhile Delfino was seriously balling ... a spin move for a layup, a feather-light bounce for a Dice basket. Dupree was still bouncing around like a pogo stick on speed, and Arroyo took advantage of his defenders with regularity. Minnesota, in contrast, just kept taking longer and longer jumpers while falling further and further behind.

Eventually, with 2:45 left, four new Human Victory Cigars were lit in the form of Maxiell, Acker, Johnson and Glynidiakis. Maxiell scored on his first shot, a Dice-like wing jumper and added a free throw. AJ and Glyni both got rebounds. (Andreas really isn't that bad a mover, though it looks awful. He plays with some aggression and seems to get frustrated with himself, sort of like Memo did.)

Near the visitors bench, Kevin McHale shuffled around with his weird shoulders and thickened body, looking strangely like Andre the Giant in an Old Navy cable knit pullover. He appeared wan and tired, probably because his team is even more of a soft-centered donut than they were last year. McCants looks awfully quick and dangerous anywhere on the court, but this team really needs inside players in the worst way. Which is the kind they currently have.
  7. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

8. iamme

great summary, LanierFan!
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Lanier Fan

Great summary of the game! I feel like I watched it now.
  10. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Yeah, Darko really went up aggressively when Bracey Wright saw an open lane and went for the posterizer. He didn't get a lot of it, but he sure jousted after it hard.

The most productive players in this game overall were Sheed, Delfino and Dupree. Looks like the bench could be a real strength this year because it's so deep. We'll probably give Davis only spot duty, but Minnie could use him as a starter.
  11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think LanierFan missed his calling! :)
  12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Nah, I already write for money but it's in advertising. Better pay, easier hours.
  13. iamme

ROFLMAO

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
  14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

another good shot http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/photos?photoId=896997&gameId=251016008

just got back from the game, nothing really to add to lanierfan's excellent report. delfino, dupree, and sheed looked spectacular, and so did darko in the 4th. he altered a lot of shots that he didn't block. he still has trouble hanging on to rebounds but no biggie. it was good to see him aggressive even with 3 fouls carried over from the 2nd quarter and not pick up any more on this way to 6 blocks.

nothing more to add. :)
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good Summary Lanierfan

I watched the game and you called it right. Delfino who looked kind of out of it in the last game, but really showed me something tonight and if he can keep this up, he is definitely a keeper. His overall ball handling and ability to drive to the basket without fear is one dimension we definitely need this year. :thumb:

As far Dupree goes he impressed me too, but he still has limitations of "just around the basket offense" with either a dunk or high percentage layup. He did hit one outside jumper and fought for a couple of boards so I will give him some props and maybe Flip and Joe will keep him on the roster. :rockon:
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nice job LanierFan. The recap is appreciated by many.

Looks like Darko is shaping up to be an important part of the bench. I like that he is playing with passion on defense. It's the way to establish a "Piston" identity.
  17. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Observations

First a quick question. Sheed sounds offly dangerous this year which is good, but where is he getting his points? Off the block hard or is he still doing his little post fadeaway? Also, the way delfino and dupree are producing, I see Joe putting Acker on the DLeaugue for awhile and rotating in Delfino as the extra PG when necesary. The dude can carry the rock about as good as anyone, and having a driving point would be a very welcomed addition. Anyone agree?
  18. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

On Arroyo

Let me first say that I din't get to see the game. I don't know what your expectations of CA, but according to the boxscore he made 8 pts (2-5, 4-4), 4 assists and 2 TO in 21 min. I don't know about you but this aren't bad numbers for a reserve, specially one that is suposse to pass the ball and not been one of the primary Offensive options. I want to know from you guys how many of his passes were indeed converted into points. I bet some of those Dice's J came from pases made by Arroyo. How many times he left his defender watching the back of his shirt and went to the inside the defensive area.

Seems to me that many of you guys just have your notebook open to pinpoint every meaningless "mistake" CA does, but how about this: after the last game a lot of you were saying he only scored and didn't pass. Now he put the same number of points PLUS 4 assists and he played "mediocre". What are you guys expecting 24 pts 7 assists and 4 rebs, like he did against Team USA in the Olympics? If he was asked to score, I don't doubt he could put some numbers. Keep in mind, though, that in this team he's not one of the primary scoring options and he still put some decent numbers. OK, enough for now. I'm sure you guys will have something to say, but I'll wait to read that in the morning. Good nite.
  19. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

That bench is going to make the difference

Another round of kudos, LanierFan. I am lucky to live in mid-Michiggan where I can get everygame, at least before we leave for the winter. I like that you are very even and fair in your info.

The more I see the second unit as a separate unit, the more I feel that they can make a huge impact this year and will be able to be trusted in the playoffs, as well.

I like using a second unit because you can completely change the look of the team, rather than substituting one player at a time. The second unit can. and seems to be well into, creating a chemistry of their own.

They have been more than holding their own when they are in there. I think Dupree should be kept rather than keeping all of the three rookies. They could possibly rotate down to the insturctional team. I would muich rather be playing a rotation of 12 or so rather than everybody. You know the starters would not want to play only 25 minutes a game and should not be limited because they need enough to keep themselves really sharp.

I wonder how Darko felt tonight not playing garbage time. From his tone now, I think he would not feel it so much an insult now as he is getting time in the more important times of the game as well.

Delfino, Arroyo, Dupree, Darko and of course, Dyce, played so well tonight that I did not even miss Evans. They are all going to contribute this year, big time, especially if kept as a unit.

I wonder if, because we have so many players contributing, whether if it keeps up, if Flip will do some of this giving a player a night off once in a while rather than shortening everyone's minutes each game.
  20. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

puertoricanballer

Unfortunately, I didn't see the game either. But I do read the recaps and it seems to me that they are usually pretty consistent regardless of who writes them.

I don't know of anyone in here who wants Arroyo to fail or why they would choose to judge him harder than they judge others. I think most people here want him to succeed because he is our best option to back up Billups at pg and they would be very happy to report his successes. But if people both within the forum and from the outside are reporting consistently that he is struggling in some areas or experiencing difficulties, I would take a look at what they are reporting rather than assuming they are looking for negative things.

I like Arroyo too and I'm disappointed that he isn't receiving some of the positive reports the other players are receiving. But it's not the messengers fault. I believe they are reporting what they see and neither looking for negatives nor ignoring them.