Minnesota vs Detroit (Preseason) Oct 16th

Discussion in 'Preseason 2005/6' started by mercury, Oct 2, 2005.

1. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

ok, it's obvious you have an affinity for Arroyo. let me start off by saying i like him too. want him to succeed here, because i think he's got tons of heart and he's exciting to watch. when he's playing to his potential, he's going to be a HUGE asset off the bench.

that said, he still looks lost out there on offense. he still holds the ball too long, looking for the assist, instead of looking for the pass that leads to the assist. he's still getting beat by his man off the dribble.

it's not that i think Arroyo sucks. i just think he can play better. i think he needs to stop looking to make the spectacular pass and work on moving the ball around.
  2. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

exactly. Arroyo's part of this team right now. everyone wants this team to succeed and, of course, that'll depend on Arroyo playing well. he's especially important, IMO, because he's the PG of the 2nd squad. he's going to be the one setting up Delfino, Evans, Dice, and Darko. he's going to be handling the ball and running the plays.

i just don't like it when Arroyo keeps dribbling at the top of the key, sometimes wasting time until there's little left on the shot clock. then he's forced to take a fall away jumper. sure, he's been hitting them the last two games, but he's MUCH more valuable setting the other bench players up than us depending on his scoring.
  3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'm gonna have to throw my hat in the ring and agree with this. i think arroyo doesn't realize that just because he passes the ball early in the shot clock that he'll get it back so he can make a play. with him i see less ball movement, and sometimes it rubs off on the other players (dupree held the ball for like 10 seconds on one possession).

he also still gets beat sometimes on guys driving around him to the basket (happened once today).

on the flipside, he still makes some sweet plays, and runs the pick n' roll with mcdyess to perfection. he's a competent PG but there are still aspects of his game he will have to work on.

as for someone's other comment ... i could actually see flip resting players for entire games (maybe on back-to-backs, especially since we have so many) and giving players more minutes in individual games to develop a rhythm. i mean thinking about today, davis and evans didn't even play yet you didn't even notice their absence. the depth of our lineup may help us win some back-to-backs in our quest for home court advantage.
  4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Arroyo

I think Arroyo has loads of potential, but he does have some areas of his game that still need improvement.

That's to be expected. He is still fairly young and still hasn't found his comfort level on the team.

Playing under LB can really stunt a young guy's growth in the short term. Especially for a PG. It didn't make things any easier coming over mid season like CA did either.

I agree with the recent posters that it isn't a personal attack on CA, just observations from us very picky Piston fans :eyebrows: .

I hope, and believe, that CA will really flourish under Flip this season.
  5. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Nobody is picking on Arroyo. He is shooting well and plays a nice two-man game with McDyess. But he has a lot to learn about this system. He makes some simple scoring opportunities into turnovers because he wants to be fancy. And his defense is barely adequate by the standards of this team. Simple facts.

Maybe it seems we're too harsh with Arroyo because we analyze everything Darko does so closely and magnify even the smallest thing as cause for optimism. Well, he's a unique case. Believe me, we'd probably be roasting Lindsey Hunter alive in here if he was playing. :)
  6. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Okay, what gives...dude you are the bomb! You have to have some experience writing somewhere. That play by play was ridiculous and you are just getting better.

You can't see me, but you are getting a standing ovation right now.

GREAT JOB! :thumb:
  7. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Lanierfan and other thoughts

...okay, I didn't read everything.

Looks like you are a proffesional writer Lanierfan. It shows. :)

Now on to my thoughts about the game...

These initial reports have me very amped for the bench play this season. This will be HUGE for us come playoff time. I think this will also make a difference in the "W" column during the regular season. The Pistons have been pretty lucky regarding the injury bug the past couple of seasons and a revamped, effective bench will leave us prepared with a strong plan B, C and D should we run into health problems. Being a Ron Dupree fan, I'm extremely happy with how he stepped up his game last night when he needed to. Joe has to find a way to keep this guy. What does this guy have to do to make the squad? This is a great problem for the Pistons to have. Go DARKO!
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I told y'all, DO NOT COUNT DUPREE OUT!!!!! This dude is a a PIston and deserves to be so. Everytime you count him out and say he can't or won't, HE DOES!!!!! If it's me Acker is bye-bye. We have 2 bonafied PG's, Lindsey and Delfino is more than capable of handling the PG as well as Tayshaun, and don't forget about RUFUS 'Slick Rick the Rula' HENRY.

On Arroyo......I only saw the first half of the game and Arroyo disappointed me. He just holds the ball too long on too many possessions. I wish he would start the offense and not dictate the offense. I do have confidence that this will get worked out because the coaching staff is well aware of this issue, and the kid can play the game, he just needs to learn and execute this system.
  9. JKP

JKP Second Round Draft Pick

The concept of a second complete 5-some.

This doesn't work in the real life game situation.
    So far the other teams, in pre-season, has also played their second string at the same time as we have. I am as excited about the play of the reserves as the next Piston Fan but they yet have been tested against a top 8 line-up of an opponent. Most teams play with a rotatation of ten players unless you are the Pistons of last year where 7 maybe 8 players had significant playing time.
  10. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Jkp

The separate second unit is a concept that has worked in the past, I think. We did it and I am sure others have, as well.

The reason is that all teams have to play players other than their starters, so our second unit would essentially playing against their non-starters, as well. And if they bring some starters back, there is nothing to say we cannot. I think that with Dyce having more experience and the other second unit players improving quite a lot by playing, our second unit would be capable of holding their own even when some of the starters from the other team were in.

That is because I believe that some of our second unit could be starting for other teams. And when our guys play together, the chemistry the develop will make them even tougher.

I think it is worth a shot.
  11. noah

noah Second Round Draft Pick

hello

:) hello guys ~~~ nice to be here may i ask a question? If i have the preseason (bt) seed , it must be great. So may i ask fans in usa, do u have seed (i mean the .torrent file) i'll be appriciate u . thanks
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If you are looking for torrents, I suggest you use a torrent search engine.

We don't distribute torrents here. Sorry.
  13. detteam

detteam All-Star

Please don't think I'm picking on him, but he has not played consistently. He CAN handle the ball. He CAN score. He CAN pass. He just doesn't look to me like he follows the playbook and/or directs the floor, often holding the ball far too long in the possession. He can be fun to watch, but sometimes looks to me like he's unaware of his teammates. Maybe he still suffers from LB's memory. Given more playing time, I'm sure he can improve and contribute to the team.

I hope you get the opportunity to view the coming games.
  14. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Great job LanierFan for the objective Recap of the game last night, absolutely loved it. I really like your colorful analogy's, makes me feel as though I was courtside.
  15. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

You've very welcome. Thanks to everyone for the kind words -- now stop it. All this praise makes me uneasy.

What are torrents, anyway?
  16. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

relax. you ack like folks are picking on Arroyo. No need to get defensive. Gimme ya address so I can mail you a hug. :eyebrows:
  17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Oh, you know you love the praise. lol

I wanted to ask what "torrents" were too , but I didn't want Roscoe yelling at me for getting off topic again. If I go past my allotment of 3 times per week I hear about it!!!! :bolt:
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Bit Torrent is a P2P network for distributing files, media, anything.

"torrents" (file_name.torrent) as they are popularly called are files you download which give you the information necessary to join a peer group and begin downloading.

If members want to swap tapes or something, I recommend they do it via PM or email. There's that nasty "property of the NBA and it's affiliates mess". It's content distribution I would rather not get into here. We're a community, but can't afford to be one that turns a blind eye or allows (which would be interpreted as condoning) anything outside the boundaries.

My problem with torrents is that while they are a great tool for distributing files (like Linux distributions), they have the stigma of being used primarily for illegal use (which is true in 99% of cases).

I feel it is in our best interest to attract as little attention to PF.com from "the fuzz" as possible. With our search engine initiatives, almost everything is going out to the world. Google is slow to recognize us as usual, but MSN and Yahoo like PF.com a lot.

In the words of Obi-Wan Kenobi, "these are not the droids you are looking for".
  19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Uhmmm, ok. Does that answer your question LanierFan, because I still have no idea what a "torrent" is! :doh: (well, I kinda get the gist of it, actually, lol)

:smash: <---- (Darth) the computer illiterate
  20. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Remember that scene in the Three Stooges where somebody says something to Larry, only he's totally zoned out and there are birds twittering in his head?

That's me during the past five minutes.