Missed Free Throw's.....so costly

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by boozy, Dec 22, 2008.

1. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

At critical moments it was Billups who mostly earned and made FTs. Now it is time to adjust... Neither Tay or Sheed or AI are confident FT shooters.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Last 10 games.

1 iverson,allen - .677
    2 hamilton,richard - .765
    3 stuckey,rodney - .704
    4 prince,tayshaun - .760
    5 wallace,rasheed - .750
    6 maxiell,jason - .615
    7 mcdyess,antonio - .400
    8 afflalo,arron - 1.00
    9 bynum,will - 1.00
    10 johnson,amir - .500
    11 acker,alex - .000
    12 brown,kwame - .375
    13 herrmann,walter - 1.00

Acker has taken none. Afflalo has taken 14 and made them all.

Leaders in attempts are

Iverson 44-65
    Stuckey 19-27
    Maxiell 16-26
    Prince 19-25

3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Our coach did it...and it only resulted in us running ourselves to death on certain days.

It's a skill and some players are more skilled than others. There's not much you can do about it. There are some guys that can put a FT line in their shower and eventually improve, but if that's something you aren't good at, chances are that even with years of work, you may only become slightly better (i.e. going from shooting 50% to 60%). Rarely if ever have you seen a guy go from being a 50% FT shooter to an 88% FT shooter.

4. detteam

detteam All-Star

Or put a few people behind the backboard clapping [strike]thunderstix[/strike] banana hammers...

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Iverson has missed 21 in the last 10 games.

Billups has only missed 25 so far this season. 241-266. That's some good shootin'.

One suprising thing is how much Stuckey's shooting has improved this year and how his foul shooting has actually gotten worse. Maybe his hops are so good that his set shot is a totally different skill than his jump shot.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Sonny Weems has only missed 1 all year.

7. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Calderon hasn't missed a single free throw yet.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's amazing. Good streak.

9. detteam

detteam All-Star

Calderon is 83-83 this season. 5-5 in last years playoffs. His last missed free throw was April 11 when he went 3-4...not sure which one he missed. That puts him somewhere between 88 & 91 consecutive. The NBA record is 97.

10. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

as usual the gray area between the extremes is where the interest lies (at least for me). it is a skill, and some are more skilled than others sure. and no doubt it's rare for someone to go from 50 to 88 % (I can't think of a single case), but I think that chances are that with years of work, and not just rote work, but guided work, a person should be able to go from wherever they are to 70-75. I'm not convinced that any NBA player really spends that much time, with guidance, on their free throws, not compared to everything else.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What about the 71 year old who made 2,750 free throws in a row before they kicked him out of the gym?

Or this guy:
    Ten years on, three-point shooting record breaker shares his secrets

Neither of them are world class athletes, but they were motivated to get good at the tasks.

If you want it enough and you work on technique + mental focus, then you can get a lot better at anything.

Or this guy, the ultimate
    YouTube - World Record 209 three pointers in a row by 60 year old man

Fred Newman can hit 209 3's in a row, but Dyess only hits 1 out of every 2 from the FT line?

12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I disagree (with a very light mood):faint:. I can take any player shooting 50% and within 4 months make him shooting at least 75%. Been proved, been done. How?

The key is too realize that you have to create a new mental motion that is mechanically foreign to any situation the player experiences on the basketball court during game time. There is less work for those working in the 23-9 areas. How is this?

Remember, all players have a stylized motion for almost any mechanical method they feel comfortable while they are moving. That last word is important to understand, because it is an entire mental picture they keep buried deep within themselves. It is an internal rhythm that they bring to the free throw line. The big difference: they is no movement, because they start out motionless. This is especially true from the arm-pits downward. Bad free throw shooters are stiff from hips down and try to make up for it by all types of gyrations with their wrist-outward motions. Some even stop, like Tim Duncan (who says making millions automatically makes you smart and Pop, apparently knows no better...I shall now duck).

You have to hypostatize (look this one up!) a different form of sediment. A totally new mental picture has to be formed and for most this is a sort of new bottom-feeding. You don't usually have to re-invent the wheel since the entire course of human existence is adaptability. In reference to some guide-post, it is usually helped along its course (by the very good shooters) by adapting a particular component that they use during their normal motion shot attempts (this includes the rest of the body movement that helps set this up).

CB was quite good for a number of reasons: One, he had a set rhythm movement routine (pinching out his jersey) to FORGET his normal floor mental picture. Second, he had the same mechanical arm motion that he used from the three point line (No guard should ever shoot under 75%); third, he used the same finger-tip roll from 23-9 to 13-9. Fourth, his lower body was never still or locked (especially knees).

Wrapping up some general points of interest:
    • Search for a particular style of movement that the player favors (using his full body motion) and is confident in. For me (lets take Tim Duncan again), I would look closely his style and mechanics when he shoots shots off the glass.
    • Get a particular action that makes the player completely wipe out his mental picture (the body follows) while at the free throw line. This is the most difficult part. Actually, hypnosis is almost fail-proof when combined with other processes.
    • Combine what you spotted in #1 and devise set routines that you have in order to instill muscle memory which is reinforced by mechanical repetitions. I have my own system about methods\duration which is beyond this discussion.
    • The best pure mechanical motion (with apparently a lot of mental baggage) is via Rick Berry...all that beauty from the under-hand style. Say it ain't so Joe. When Shack was told about this new method of winning games, he said, "it an ain't manly enough for me." Hey, I guess when you make this much money, you make your own vision of virtualized gender. For me, I've never been big enough to make myself so small.

Some general knowledge about free-throws. (How to Define a NBA Free Throw | eHow.com

Step11
    Understand that a free throw is awarded in three situations. First, when a player is in the act of shooting the ball and the defensive player fouls him. Second, if the referee calls a non-shooting foul, and the offending team is over the foul limit for the given time period, be it in a quarter or the last two minutes of the game. Finally, if there is a technical foul called on a team, the opponent is awarded a technical free throw.
    Step22
    Know that there are four types of free throws in the NBA. First, a typical free throw, where the fouled player is allowed to shoot two free throws. Second, a single free throw is awarded when a player makes a basket and is fouled on the play. Third, when a player is fouled shooting a three point shot, that player shoots three free throws. Finally, when a technical foul is called a team is awarded either one or two technical free throws, depending on the severity of the technical foul call.
    Step33
    Realize that the free throw shooter has ten seconds to shoot the free throw after being given possession of the ball by the referee or the ball is given to the opposing team. However, though this rule is in the rule book, it is rarely if ever enforced.
    Step44
    Recognize that the teams line up in predetermined positions along the free throw line before the free throw. The two positions nearest the basket belong to the defensive team. The next position away from the basket belongs to the offensive team. Finally, the defensive team occupies the final positions on each side nearest the free throw shooter. These players may not move until the basketball leaves the hand of the player shooting the free throw. If they leave early the shooter gets another shot.
    Step55
    Comprehend that the free throw shooter cannot cross the free throw line until the shot reaches the basket. The free throw must make contact with the rim or the basketball goes over to the other team.

13. GIE

GIE Second Round Draft Pick

Pass99 had some valid ideas about free throw shooting and the different mechanics between jump shots and free throws. I can't believe how AI, a shooting guard, is such a poor FT shooter. After reading Pass99s post I think AI should model his FT's after Hal Greer from the old 76rs. He used to shoot a jump shot at the FT line. He always said when he was shooting jumpers he was practicing his FT and when he was shooting FT he was practicing his jumper.

14. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Used to be a very good free throw shooter in college. It is all about muscle memory. If you shoot enough free throws the muscles begin to takeover. I used to get bored shooting them so I would attempt to improve myself by banking them in. It seems to me if it was something you practiced enough you could become efficient at it.

I just don't think it is something that gets a lot of emphasis by NBA coaches. It is left to the individual player to improve himself.

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You should be able to do them with your eyes closed.

16. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

I've never had a problem shooting at least 80% since I played ball as a youngster in youth leagues. I remember winning free throw shooting contests in middle school.

Oddly enough, I never shot many in-game free throws since I never really attacked the basket as a player.

Once you have the correct mechanics, all you have to do is shoot the ball the exact same way every time and it should go in. The ones I miss are the ones where the ball does not roll off my finger tips perfectly. Everything else, I do the same exact motion every time perfectly.

17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

What that coach was doing is now considered child abuse.

18. detteam

detteam All-Star

Apparently I was off by a few. I don't know if they count playoffs or not. In any case, it's over

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Calderon's Free Throw Streak Ends At 87