More cheating in NFL? Brian Billick thinks so

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by jammertime, Sep 18, 2007.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ravens' coach Brian Billick has accused the Jets D of illegally simulating the Ravens' snap count in their game this past week. For the record, the Ravens won the game 20-13.

This story seems very similar to the Pats cheating story. Both teams were accused of doing something illegal to gain a "competitive advantage", but IMO, both of these instances are very trivial and are very weak rules to begin with.

With the Pats, they are accused of video tapping the other sideline during a game - something that is done by networks all the time. It isn't illegal to look across the sideline to try and steal their signs, you just can't record what you're looking at.

With the Jets, they are accused of calling out as if they were snapping the ball. Which apparently is illegal in the NFL.

This one actually reminds me of what A-Rod did in a game against the Blue Jays earlier this season. A-Rod was rounding 3rd base on a pop fly with 2 outs. As he got behind the 3rd baseman who was about to make the catch, he yelled out "Mine" and the 3rd baseman backed off thinking that it was the SS calling him off the play. The ball dropped in and A-Rod was safe at third. The only difference is, that play isn't illegal in MLB, just frowned upon. The next series that the Jays played the Yankees, A-Rod was with a pitch 3 times and 2 pitchers were ejected.

What do you guys think? Is this a legitimate complaint? Should this be illegal? What, if any, punishment should the Jets face if they are found guilty?
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That A-Rod situation is hilarious.

Of course they're gonna bean you.
  3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, A-Rod is a jerk. I'm glad he got what he deserved. (especially since it came against my Blue Jays! hahaha)

Oops, I just noticed that I left out a word in my first post. It was supposed to say "A-Rod was hit with a pitch 3 times" but you clearly got the meaning.
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    In all sports teams try to get all the competitive advantage they can. However, if it is illegal in the rulebook it shouldn't be allowed.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The way that they get around all of this in golf is that they have a rule that says something like "the player shall not violate the spirit of the game." That is sort of a catch-all that prevents stuff like mumbling "noonan" under your breath when the other guy is putting (which is what A-Rod would do).