1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

More NBA Refs doing the Hustle?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Nov 25, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

And so it is written...

"BOSTON -- A source tells 7 Sports that the gambler at the center of the 2008 NBA betting scandal says 13 referees were involved.

Jimmy "The Sheep" Battista pleaded guilty to conspiracy to transmit wagering information in connection with disgraced NBA official Tim Donaghy and served 15 months in federal prison.

The source also tells 7Sports that Battista claims he has the phone records to prove his contact with these 13 referees.

Donaghy served 15 months in federal prison for providing inside tips on NBA games to a professional gambler in exchange for money.

When the scandal broke in June of 2008, NBA commissioner David Stern called Donaghy a "rogue, isolated criminal."

The source tells 7Sports that Battista says he had a "Big-5" of dependable referees with Tim Donaghy being the "King" as Battista called him, who the gambler says delivered a winning bet 78 percent of the time in games he officiated.

The 7Sports source says that on December 12, 2006, the night before the Celtics played the Philadelphia 76ers, Battista says he met with Donaghy and a mutual high school friend.

On that night, the gambler claims they made a deal which according to Battista involved Donaghy supplying information including injury reports and referee assignments and Battista making the bets.

The source says that according to Battista, the first game the two men bet on together was the Celtics-76ers game the following night -- a game Donaghy officiated and one the Celtics covered with ease.
    The Celtics were 1 1/2 point favorites, but with 10 minutes to play in the third quarter, the score was tied. The Celtics would eventually go on to win by 20 points." http://www3.whdh.com/news/articles/sports/BO130486/

My cousin Elmo swears he heard this conversation while standing next to a cuban sandwich cart on the sidewalk in Miami a few years back, a guy in a kappel was talking on his blackberry.

"Oy Vey! You say C-note has a bad hamstring? And this Sheed - that he has no heart? I want three dimes on the Heat to cover"

2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Well so much for the 'rogue' having no credibility.:sssh:

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I wonder whether Stern bet on any of the games that HE fixed?

4. G-man

G-man Starter

OOwwwch!

5. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

Like I said before and I'm not changing my mind, the NBA should do investigation on all the refs in the league and if anything turns up on them, get rid of that betting bas**rds!!

6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My head is spinning trying to follow all the "friend of a friends" in that story.

7. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

I hate to say it but I fear the NBA is slipping away from my grasp. My favorite sport as a kid was baseball. But with free agency and being able to buy your team, I quickly started losing interest. With the NBA, I feel the same thing but for different reasons. I absolutely hate what Stern has done to the game. Making all these rule changes so the Lebron's can get all of their points. Basically outlawing defense, and then allowing four steps to the rim. To me, the game is now tainted. Throw on all of that these refs deciding the games, my love for the game is declining quickly. I know alot of people that fell out of love with baseball for the same reasons I did. I bet there are a number of people that are turning their back on the NBA now too, which is sad.

8. Darth Tater

Same here Buck with MLB. The Lions spoiled the NFL for me. I really only started to love the NBA because of the Bad Boys. After they were gone my interest level went way down.

Why watch a sport if you feel the league lacks integrity and you don't care much for the majority of players? So I stopped watching. :(

9. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

This will ruin USA Basketball when they play on international level. The Kobes, Brons, Wades will have more turnovers than points in the next olympics if they are used to the steps and whatever crab dribble that Stern allowed.

10. Darth Tater

Very interesting observation. It makes me wonder if that is a significant part of the reason the USA doesn't excel when playing at the international level. Because the playing field is leveled???

11. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Something Artest said about Joey Crawford.

"""""""He also criticized NBA referee Joey Crawford, who was on the floor for two games of the 2009 NBA Western Conference semifinals. In Game 2, Artest was ejected after an altercation with Kobe Bryant. In Game 7, Crawford also officiated, and the Lakers won 89-70 to close out the series.
    "Joey Crawford basically said, 'Who cares about the Houston Rockets? Kobe Bryant is on the floor,' " Artest said, according to the Sporting News.""""""

I got that from Ron Artest of Los Angeles Lakers says he drank booze at halftime of NBA games - ESPN