Moving on

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by detteam, Apr 8, 2014.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

With Joe supposedly resigning, what NBA savvy consultants does Tom Gores have to rely on to make the three rapid-fire critical calls...GM, coach, and draft pick?

2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

He should call me.

GM - The Panda
    Head Coach - The Panda
    Draft Pick - We might miss out at this point, so I'm not getting my hopes up to get drafted.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  3. max

max All-Star

Last GM we had - Rick Sund I believe was not very good. He kind of floated and always made the safe choices. But the guy before him Doug Collins I thought was very good - or at least had a very good summer here. He did not last very long - about a season and a half. I dont know why, got bored or whatever. But he did take a mediocre team and win 54 games with it after just one summer of rebuilding.

Of course we had G. Hill to build around. This time around we have Drummond to build around.

My point is that it will not take very long to rebuild the team if the right choice is made. Gores will have time enough to find someone and the money to pay for consultants.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

After being a fan for nearly 30 years, the bench always looks good at the end of a lost season. It's as predictable as the hero killing the bad guy at the end of an action movie.

detteam and S.J. like this.
  5. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I thought our bench was a pile of garbage. I mean seriously:
    Rodney Stuckey
    Charlie Villenueva
    Tony Mitchell
    Will Bynum
    Jonas Jerebko
    Peyton Siva
    Chauncey "Mr Big Injury" Billups (No disrespect, this guy should have his jersey retired but he hasn't been great)
    Josh Harrellson
    Gigi Datome

This is not a group of players which inspires fear into opposing coaches. No defense, no chemistry, no talent. Stuckey and Jorts are pretty much the bright spots.

As far as I am concerned we should put Mitchell in the d-league, and clear out everyone not named Harrellson or Siva. I'd consider re-signing Rodney if I hadn't already taken a swig of that poisoned chalice already. I'd keep Siva as deep PG cover, and Jorts has shown himself to be a capable back up big man for 10-15mpg. If we run a proper 4/5 rotation then he should be fine as a 4th man to round out our big men. Singler should stay, but not as a starter, KCP gets another year from me and so does Jennings. Smith is a monster, I don't care how bad a year he had, Drummond is a monster, and Monroe should be re-signed if no good S&t's comes up for a scoring wing with defensive fundamentals.

Slippy, Nemo and coynejeremy like this.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I think we'll all be familiar with the choice...but probably won't agree on it.

7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think its more about that fascination with the unknown...of possibilities esp. with Siva, Mitchell, Datome and Harrellson. But I agree with the clear out.
    We have, and this has been something that's gone on for 4 years now, too many guys that aren't good enough to start but don't do the things to help other guys on the team. Bynum is a key example. He is a baller, a warrior, but it all about Bynum and maybe a lob if Bynum drawn the defense enough...then its back to Bynum. Ball dominant scorer who doesn't stretch the floor or play defense well enough. He has the physical tools to ball hawk like Lindsey Hunter but I don't know...its not in his DNA.
    Stuckey is the same thing but bigger. He has no idea how to play off the ball...when to cut, how to cut...all he did was stand in the corner where he couldn't shoot. The guy CAN pass but was best when he looked for his own shot. That's cool if you are Kobe or Harden but he's not that good. Since he can't shoot that well, its all about hoping you get a whistle as you bowl right in. So how do you rotate these guys in???

Its like forming a band with 3 lead guitarists.

There is a reason why Kyle Singler and Josh Harrellson are highlights for the team. Neither is particularly gifted but they do the little things that help out. Stretch the floor, share the ball, do what is expected of your position.

The Panda, basketbills and Walter like this.
  8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This is a great post. I couldn't agree more.

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Another example is that the Pistons roster has been stacked with these tweener guys but they get absolutely destroyed if another team has a tweener.

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

According to an interview I heard with Vincent Goodwill yesterday the Pistons are asking the league for help in locating a new GM candidate.

11. detteam

detteam All-Star

Are you predicting it is finally going to happen...?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    roscoe36 likes this.
  12. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Got em right here...

[​IMG]

roscoe36 likes this.